PDA

View Full Version : Tower install questions

ljr
07-26-2005, 07:42 AM
I plan to install a Monster Tower on our 2004 Outback. I want to do all I can to ensure that I do not get gelcoat cracks, so I plan to reinforce where the legs mount. Problem is the rear areas are tough to get to for sanding, fiberglasing, etc.

Has any one installed a Monster on an Outback? I talked to one Monster customer and he did not do any reinforcing with no gelcoat issues in a year's use.

The purchase dealer says that Outbacks are only reinforced where the legs of the OEM tower attach, but looking inside my Outback it appears to be reinforced equally all around the base and sides under the windshield.

Any experience would be greatly appreciated.

John

Buttafewcoe
07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
The tower should come with backing plates....prolly made out of aluminum........I wouldn't think you'd have to glass them in, but maybe you do.

NH Moomba
07-26-2005, 10:12 PM
I have a Monster tower on my 2000 LS which I think is the same hull as the later regular Outbacks. It is great. I have not had any gelcoat cracking at all and the tower is rock solid. I went to Walmart and bought a cheap flexible plastic cutting board about 3/8 inch thick. The material is essentially the same stuff they use strips of to screw the two halves of the hull together. I cut it into 4 pieces about 3 inches by 8 inches and used a 3M marine Sealant/glue (available in boat shops but I have forgotten the official name/number) to bond it under where I was mounting the tower. I drillled the holes in the hull, first running the driill in reverse until well under the gelcoat and then generously countersunk the holes afterwards. If the bolts touch the gelcoat edges during any sort of flexing the gelcoat will crack. I then generously gooped up the top of the plates I had made and sandwiched them between the monster tower plates and the hull. The stuff oozed out the sides some and I would highly recommend placing some newspaper on your carpet. One of the things I like about the tower is that it folds down under the cover and when I fold the two forward legs onto the ski pylon, it creates a natural tent so I don't have to use those silly poles to keep the rain from pooling. I have 2 years on it and still think it was a great deal. Mine is the Purple Outback in the Monster Tower photo gallery. Make sure you email them a picture and get a cool shirt. Also, they now come with the quick release kit but mine didn't. You can buy the same M12 threaded knobs at mcmaster.com for $3 each. I use 4 of them so I can lift the whole thing or fold the tower down in about 2 minutes. Sorry for the long winded post but I really like my Monster. Not as nice a a factory tower but the next best thing and a lot cheaper and very well built.

Andy

07-27-2005, 10:33 PM
Thanks, Andy for the reply and the advice.

I take my boat to a fiberglas guy tomorrow to see about reinforcing at the mounting points. I know I am probably being a bit paranoid, but I don't want to be looking for gelcoat cracks after each run, so I think it is worth the extra effort.

I appreciate the advice on the sealant. Could it have been 3M 5200?

I will definitely study you boat's pics on the Monster site.

What I wonder about is the statement my dealer's service manager made about Outbacks only being reinforced at the location of each OEM tower leg (about 6" square he said.) Mine looks like it is reinforced from the bow seat backs to just aft of the windshield.

Thanks again for the reply,

John

ljr
07-27-2005, 10:42 PM
Thanks, both for the replies.

I take my Outback to a fiberglas guy tomorrow to see about reinforcing the mounting points. I know I am being paranoid, but I don't want to be looking for gelcoat cracks after each run.

What I wonder about is the statement my dealer's service manager made about Outbacks being reinforced only in a 6" square area at the OEM tower mounting locations. Mine appears to be reinforced equally from just aft of the windshield to the seat back in the bow. I would appreciate any others observations about reinforcing in this area, particular from an Outback owner with the factory tower.

I also appreciate the advice Andy gave regarding mounting and the use of sealant. Could it have benn 3M 5200 Marine adhesive/sealant?

Thanks again to you both.

John

NH Moomba
07-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Thats the stuff.

Andy