PDA

View Full Version : Where do you store your gear? Show me...

bergermaister
08-15-2012, 01:16 PM
I've been thinking about this on and off this year but have made few if any changes since I've owned my boat on where I stow gear. Thinking about where to add the EZnet storage here and there, I'm wondering if I could do better with easier access to gear or making it more convenient.

I have the playpen front end with the big basement locker so I'm sure others will vary some. My boat does not have seating right behind the driver. Just kind of an opening.

Here's what I'm doing now:
1: 2 extra 400lb fat sacs rolled up and tsunami handheld pump
2: 3-man tube rolled up
(1 & 2 are kind of a shallow space, only 10" high with the basement running up through the middle)
3: 750 fat sac
4: basically wasted space and not easy to access except for a stray lifejacket or two
5: cooler, it actually works, and used heavily
6: shovel, machete, snacks/lunch, extra clothes/hats
7: small compartment for sunscreen, air pump, coozies
8: anchor, dock lines, bumpers, (used 50% of the time)

A: two batteries, amps on side wall, always stuffed full of lifejackets
B: 1100 fat sac, usually nothing else because it's my primary surf side
C: 1100 fat sac, tow ropes, towels

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/Moomba-Storage.jpg

I've thought about sectioning off a smaller spot in the nose to put my anchor and ropes but it would be a tight fit. That seems to be the biggest hassle for me when it's time to go home.

I've also thought about adding a bow sack under the front seats and most likely just fill by hand but not sure how it would work with the dropdown portion of the basement in the middle.

Or maybe stuff all the lifejackets under the nose cushions and that would open up the compartment on the passenger side for other stuff.

I have a 12" sub under the driver's side and have some room to work with there if I were to reconfigure it, however this is usually where purses, bags, etc. go to keep them dry and protected.

The biggest thing is it drives me nuts to have stuff laying around in the boat. Except for a few towels, I want it all put away. Just wondering if there are any better ideas for how to accomplish this but still be accessible?

lewisb13
08-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Which boat do you have again?

wolfeman131
08-15-2012, 01:26 PM
from that list & diagram, it looks like the Titanic.

moombadaze
08-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Here's what I'm doing now:
1: 2 extra 400lb fat sacs rolled up and tsunami handheld pump
2: 3-man tube rolled up
(1 & 2 are kind of a shallow space, only 10" high with the basement running up through the middle)
3: 750 fat sac
4: basically wasted space and not easy to access except for a stray lifejacket or two
5: cooler, it actually works, and used heavily
6: shovel, machete, snacks/lunch, extra clothes/hats
7: small compartment for sunscreen, air pump, coozies
8: anchor, dock lines, bumpers, (used 50% of the time)

A: two batteries, amps on side wall, always stuffed full of lifejackets
B: 1100 fat sac, usually nothing else because it's my primary surf side
C: 1100 fat sac, tow ropes, towels

?

thats all, really thats not much

Storage on mine is incredible

been tempted to take a photo of all our stuff on the garage floor to see what it really looks like, especially after going on vacation for a week, thankfully Skiers Choise has the bags in the rear and not hard tanks

bergermaister
08-15-2012, 01:33 PM
We ran out of room for the violins and deck chairs...

It's a 2001 MobiusV. 22ft v-drive.

After the last trip where I took a huge roller over the bow I emptied everything out of it into the front yard to dry out. Basically looked a like a bomb went off in the boat and scattered gear everywhere. Got me thinking of where to put it all back.

sandm
08-15-2012, 01:34 PM
A 12 pk and several hours. The answer will come :)

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 01:35 PM
I have to ask a out the machete and shovel. Beach a lot I guess?

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

jpetty3023
08-15-2012, 01:36 PM
Don't see a waterproof bag in your list-:)

Sent from my home phone..

bergermaister
08-15-2012, 01:49 PM
I have to ask a out the machete and shovel. Beach a lot I guess?

After we kill people we prefer to bury the evidence out on the beach.

My son - when you're on the beach you've gotta dig a hole, right?
Machete - for close encounters of the undesirable kind (man or beast). Also good for blazing trails in search of dry firewood.

kaneboats
08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
1. Shoes and extra beer
2. Bumpers, dock lines, extra beer
3. open area empty
4. anchor, fire ext., extra beer
5. surf under seat bag
6. surf under seat bag
7. No access/ space here
8. tool kit, extra beer
A. towels, purses, dry stuff, beer coozies
B. 750 bag- surfboards and kneeboard when bag empty
C. Beer cooler, ropes, jackets till we get to the water

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 02:39 PM
1. Shoes and extra beer
3. open area empty
5. surf under seat bag
6. surf under seat bag
7. No access/ space here
8. tool kit, extra beer

I like this setup

kaneboats
08-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Yea, but I may need a bigger boat cuz it's a little tight on beer storage. I usually stay out for almost 6 hours.

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 02:52 PM
Yea, but I may need a bigger boat cuz it's a little tight on beer storage. I usually stay out for almost 6 hours.

Same here I try and have a backup supply at campsite or truck

moombadaze
08-15-2012, 03:10 PM
1. Shoes and extra beer
3. open area empty
5. surf under seat bag
6. surf under seat bag
7. No access/ space here
8. tool kit, extra beer

pretty close to this for us

ryan_8099
08-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Berg, just my .02 regarding a bow sack, I wouldn't bother with it. Get the gravity games 1180 bag, it will go all the way up to the nose if you are looking for more weight. We couldn't be happier with ours. Our setup is a little different as we don't have stereo stuff and 2 batteries yet.

1. & 2. Partially empty since the bag comes up through there. Suppose we could throw small items there if needed.
3. 1180 Bag and Skis when we aren't surfing (ideally we would have a ski rack)
4. Pointless compartment
5. Used to keep the surf rope cold
6. Battery
7. Useless engine crap :)
8. Sandals sometimes, but we usually leave those on the dock. Ski and wakeboard rope

A. Our zipped bag of 6 life jackets, throwable, towels
B. 750 LB Bag Empty except for surfing usually
C. 750 LB bag Life jackets since we don't fill that side up often and even if we did jackets would still sit on top as we would not fill all the way.

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Berg, just my .02 regarding a bow sack, I wouldn't bother with it. Get the gravity games 1180 bag, it will go all the way up to the nose if you are looking for more weight. We couldn't be happier with ours. Our setup is a little different as we don't have stereo stuff and 2 batteries yet.

1. & 2. Partially empty since the bag comes up through there. Suppose we could throw small items there if needed.
3. 1180 Bag and Skis when we aren't surfing (ideally we would have a ski rack)
4. Pointless compartment
5. Used to keep the surf rope cold
6. Battery
7. Useless engine crap :)
8. Sandals sometimes, but we usually leave those on the dock. Ski and wakeboard rope

A. Our zipped bag of 6 life jackets, throwable, towels
B. 750 LB Bag Empty except for surfing usually
C. 750 LB bag Life jackets since we don't fill that side up often and even if we did jackets would still sit on top as we would not fill all the way.

Drag the beer in the water?

ryan_8099
08-15-2012, 04:08 PM

No beer for me usually since I do a lot of driving. If I'm not, they are in a cooler bag on the floor for easy access :)

bergermaister
08-15-2012, 05:28 PM

Good plan - I'll just fill one of these full and drag it behind us. We don't need no stinkin Malibu wedge. We've got the Coleman/Bud Light drag bag.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.cooksdirect.com/images/Popup/400_13021.jpg

Ryan, thing is...
Bow sac would be ~ $189.
1180 sac would be ~ $329.
Sure I could sell the 750 to put towards the 1180 but not sure it would be worth it and I'm only gaining about 400lbs where the bow sac would be up to 1,000lbs, more likely less since I couldn't completely fill it.

Experimented with Russ (Boonejeepin) last month and my boat REALLY liked the extra weight in the front for the surf wave. We also had his 650 laying on the surf side so it was a lot more weight overall but I was surprised at how much better it got.

I'd love to not have to stow so much gear on-board, but it's hard not to, so just trying to figure out a better way.

I'm wondering if I could move my batteries to #4 on the diagram to free up some space in there. Probably have to go with sealed AGM's so they could lay on their side. I'm curious how well yours fit under the seat (#6).

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 05:31 PM
I think you're on to something there.... The Coleman powerwedge surf box beer holder thingy! Trademark

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Ermagerd! Surfberx!

saskyrider
08-15-2012, 06:10 PM
haha you guys...

Under Nose cushion -- anchor/anchor rope in bag
left side up front -- stores the 1100 lb triangle bag
Right side up front -- ski/wake/surf/tube ropes
under dash passenger side -- amps, batteries, speaker covers, towels
under observers seat -- boat bumpers
cooler -- tie off ropes
behind cooler -- fake a lake plunger thingy.... cover for bimini
passenger rear locker -- 750lb bag and spare lifejackets
driver rear locker -- 1100 lb bag + 750 lb bag ( i hook up 1100 when surfing otherwise leave 750 hooked up
behind drivers seat -- more lifejackets

in the floor locker -- 500lb bag and garbage bag for garbage...
beer is in soft side cooler inside the floor locker unless bag is full, then it goes under obervers seat with boat bumpers

moomba coozie--- in my hand!

Ian Brantford
08-16-2012, 09:07 AM
4. Drybox with less-used bits of gear. This has a few tools, electrical items (like tube inflator) and "extras" of things that are elsewhere -- dock line, oil, whistle, flashlight, navigational chart, tube plug, swimming goggles/earplugs. Whenever I buy some new thing that I "might" need, it goes in that box until I find some occasion when it's actually needed.

ryan_8099
08-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Ah ok, assuming that would be on top of the seats then? I'll be up at the lake for 5 days, I'll try to remember to send you a picture of the battery.

Good plan - I'll just fill one of these full and drag it behind us. We don't need no stinkin Malibu wedge. We've got the Coleman/Bud Light drag bag.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.cooksdirect.com/images/Popup/400_13021.jpg

Ryan, thing is...
Bow sac would be ~ $189.
1180 sac would be ~ $329.
Sure I could sell the 750 to put towards the 1180 but not sure it would be worth it and I'm only gaining about 400lbs where the bow sac would be up to 1,000lbs, more likely less since I couldn't completely fill it.

Experimented with Russ (Boonejeepin) last month and my boat REALLY liked the extra weight in the front for the surf wave. We also had his 650 laying on the surf side so it was a lot more weight overall but I was surprised at how much better it got.

I'd love to not have to stow so much gear on-board, but it's hard not to, so just trying to figure out a better way.

I'm wondering if I could move my batteries to #4 on the diagram to free up some space in there. Probably have to go with sealed AGM's so they could lay on their side. I'm curious how well yours fit under the seat (#6).

bergermaister
08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
I'd prefer to go under the seats with the bow bag but know it would sag in the middle where the locker is... I noticed a little fiberglass cracking on the cushion supports up there on the bottom side too so am trying to avoid making it worse.

ryan_8099
08-16-2012, 03:05 PM
I'd prefer to go under the seats with the bow bag but know it would sag in the middle where the locker is... I noticed a little fiberglass cracking on the cushion supports up there on the bottom side too so am trying to avoid making it worse.

We have fiberglass cracks on the seat supports as well, must be a common :) We also have some on the rear seats. I am determined to find a boat that has no spider cracking for our next boat. I'd be interested to see how a bow sack fits in there, maybe it is deeper than I remember it. The 1180 bag was on sale because it was blemished so the 3 bag system really worked out well, but you will definitely get some more wieght up there with the 1000 lb bag. I am still amazed how nice our wave is with just the 750 in the corner and the 1180 filled up maybe 80% or so. We just got bought some extra hose and connectors from wakemakers so we will run hose from starboard hookup to port seats and throw a bag on the seats.

zabooda
08-17-2012, 04:10 PM
Need to ask the Texas boys where they store the fish nets and hand cuffs.

motosno963
08-17-2012, 05:24 PM
i run a cooler in my boat like that blue one..and i just thought of this..why dont you just strap it on top of the swim platform?

bergermaister
08-17-2012, 05:30 PM
I have done that when loaded down for island camping. Soon as I launched the boat, backing off the trailer the dam thing had enough slack it floated up and flipped on it's side and laid back down with the lid slightly ajar dispensing various brews to Davie Jones Locker...

motosno963
08-17-2012, 05:36 PM
last time i checked beer floats so i dont know what you had in the cooler lol..trust me i know..had someone throw me a beer and it came up short..sank for a sec and came back up..of course there were cans..idk about bottles

bergermaister
08-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Bottles + Current... :mad:

KSmith
08-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Bottles + Current... :mad:

Another reason not to take bottles boating ;-)

bergermaister
08-17-2012, 06:00 PM
Yeah - during summer I'm strictly BL. Not too many (none?) micros come in cans around here so for others there's no choice.

People give me funny looks when I walk around sipping off of one of these though.
http://thirstyinla.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/IMG_0222.jpg

sybrmike
08-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Need to ask the Texas boys where they store the fish nets and hand cuffs.

Ummm, Dusty's mom's house?

wolfeman131
08-17-2012, 11:14 PM

ZING!

Oh, sybrmike has entered the ring.

kaneboats
08-18-2012, 01:54 AM
I don't know. Looks like the house I grew up in.

ga-lsv05
08-18-2012, 07:24 AM

Lmao

sybrmike
08-18-2012, 02:04 PM
Sorry, I had the pleasure of finally meeting Dusty at the Jam & couldn't help myself - just too much of a soft one over the plate to pass up...