PDA

View Full Version : 06 obv running rough

Young24
08-15-2012, 09:02 AM
I just traded my 02 outback dd for an 06 obv with 23 hours on it. It's like new but it has a rough idle and
Stalls on hole shot. I've tried carb cleaner and seafoam in the gas but problem persists. It looks like the
next step is changing the fuel filter, but I can't locate it? Any help or suggestions?

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 09:30 AM
Mine is behind the fuel tank on the starboard side. Hope this helps

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

kaneboats
08-15-2012, 12:33 PM
Did you trade at a dealer? 30-60-90 day warranty? If you can't find the fuel filter I sure hope you had someone check over the boat, especially where you live where it tends to get very cold.

mnpracing
08-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I just traded my 02 outback dd for an 06 obv with 23 hours on it. It's like new but it has a rough idle and
Stalls on hole shot. I've tried carb cleaner and seafoam in the gas but problem persists. It looks like the
next step is changing the fuel filter, but I can't locate it? Any help or suggestions?

I had a similar issue with my '06 OBV and ended up changing the "throttle mate". It's the small black box with a lever that the throttle cable connects to . It's back in the engine compartment. It was about $120 but that fixed the problem.

uh wait, you said you tried carb cleaner. Are you saying it carbeurated vs EFI? Mine was EFI.

Young24
08-15-2012, 02:13 PM
Mine has a carb, I followed the fuel line on passenger side, but couldn't see it. I haven't taken the lockers apart yet
Though.

Young24
08-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Ok, I finally replaced the fuel filter, but it still stalls and idles rough? What do I do next?

parrothd
08-22-2012, 09:33 PM
[QUOTE=Young24;191695]Ok, I finally replaced the fuel filter, but it still stalls and idles rough? What do I do next?[/QUOTEc
Is the electric choke working?

I'd start with the basics, plugs, cap, rotor, wires. Since it only has 23 hours on it I'd bet it's been sitting with untreated fuel, you'll probably need to rebuild the carb, or at least disassemble it and clean the jets. You could try some stp fuel treatment, you might get lucky.. :)

Young24
08-22-2012, 09:42 PM
I ran a tank with seafoam through it and it wasn't much better. How do you check the electric choke. I am planning on new plugs next.

parrothd
08-22-2012, 10:03 PM
If it's a holley carb, take the air cleaner off, there should be a metal flap covering two holes, see the ebay pic, it should be closed when cold, and after the engine warms up it should open. If you run the boat with a fake-a-lake or on the water it should open slowly and fully, what ever you do don't drop anything in there... :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1850-600-CFM-HOLLEY-CARB-E85-ETHANOL-ELECTRIC-CHOKE-SV-/160802596201#ht_1339wt_1180

mnpracing
08-23-2012, 12:18 AM
why would SC make some 06 OBV's with carb and some with EFI. Mine was EFI. Was that an option back then?

04OUTBACK
08-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Yes. In 06 efi was an option carb was std. Carb was 310 hp and efi was 325.

Young24
08-23-2012, 08:45 AM
Yes the electric choke seems to work fine. The boat will start after I open the throttle all the way and then put it back in neutral. It will warm up and run great, but after awhile on the lake it idles rough in neutral and stall some times. When pulling a skier/ boarder out of the hole it starts to stall on the first try, but if I put it back in neutral and the go again it takes off just fine.

maxpower220
08-23-2012, 11:54 AM
Here are a few of my thoughts. First, it sounds like you issues are fuel delivery related. Does the boat run fine everywhere else in the RPM range? Idle, cruising around, etc. With few hours, you may need to rebuild the carb. However, usually the carb won't function well in any engine regime if that is the case. More info is needed on engine performance.

As you describe, I don't think you have a fuel pump issue.

Take the plugs out and look at them. Based on their color and "wetness" you can determine a few things about how your engine is running. Search the internet for pictures and their meannings. If the plugs look normal, I would check the gap, maybe hit some emory cloth on them, anti-sieze and put them back in. Pull the distributor and rotor cap and inspect. I had a lot of corrosion on my 08 and had to replace it.

I'll bet, once you get the carb figured out, you will have a lot of fun with the boat.

Young24
08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Thanks for your input, the boat runs really good at all rpm's it only struggles on the hole shot and some times while idling. I'll take the plugs out and check/replace them.

Young24
08-24-2012, 05:21 PM
Ok, I changed all the plugs, had a hard time starting it (it would stall when i choked it) took it out for about an hour of surfing and it ran great. After an hour it started stalling when idling and accelerating. Once I got it out of idle it would run good again. Any thoughts?

lewisb13
08-24-2012, 05:27 PM
Pilot jet sounds like a possible culprit

Young24
08-24-2012, 10:18 PM
I've been reading a lot of posts about taking the caps off the screws on the carb and adjusting them? Others seem to have success curing similar problems to mine by adjusting the scews. It sounds like something I could handle.

lewisb13
08-24-2012, 10:32 PM
Definitely need to clean the pilot jet though. Its what controls the fuel at idle and just off idle. You should never have to adjust a Carb unless something has changed.

Young24
08-24-2012, 10:53 PM
How do you clean the pilot jet? Do I need to bring it in to do this or can a novice do it? I don't know much about carbs, but if it's an easy thing to do I will give it a try. I'm 2 hours from a dealer.

Young24
08-31-2012, 07:12 PM
I just took the caps off the air mix screws and turned the screws all the way in. Then I backed them out a half turn at a time. The idle went up as I turned them out so I had to adjust that also. The rough idle went away as well as the stalling. I did it by watching the rpms as I adjusted because I don't have a vacuum Gage. I am pretty happy with how it's running now. Hopefully I have cured my problems. The only thing left is a little hesitation on the hole shot.

Young24
09-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Update, my problems came back so I took the carb off and checked the float bowls for flaking as I read that Holley had problems with the 2006 4150 carb and mine matched the serial numbers. I called Holley and they told me to send it in for inspection and they'll send a new one. In the process of taking the carb off I caused the chrome fuel line to twist a little and the coating on the outside is flaking off the fuel line. Is this chrome only on the outside or will it have flaking on the inside? I don't want to put a new carb on only to send flakes of chrome into it. I always manage to create new problems for myself...

ga-lsv05
09-12-2012, 07:51 AM
It's only on the outside

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast