PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Stains on Hull

rca
08-14-2012, 11:49 PM
We boat a lot in the San Bernard River, which is brackish. It occasionally leaves a yellowish stain on the boat, especially noticeable on the white areas of the hull. Any suggestions on removing the discoloration? I wash it regularly, after every use, but these stains don't come off with normal cleaning.

I've heard before that using a toilet bowl cleaner like "The Works" will get them off easily. I'm just not sure what the long term effects would be on the gelcoat, wax and graphics on the boat. Thoughts?

Speaking of waxing the boat (probably needs to be another topic). When you wax and use a high speed rotary tool for application, do you just wax right over the graphics?

I'm still learning all this boat maintenance.

Ron

kaneboats
08-15-2012, 12:49 AM
I had a white boat I used to run in brackish water all the time or fairly green fresh water. The hull was always yellow. I used to hit it with sno bol and then wash it off with dish soap. Wax every few times you do this.

wolfeman131
08-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Send a PM to 11 Outback V. He has an all white boat and knows a lot of tricks. I saw him spray on the Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner to clean up his boat after he drove from FL to GA.

Yes, just wax over the decals.

NCSUmoomba
08-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Best stuff I have found is Davis FSR (Fiberglass Stain Remover) it is an acidic gel designed just for this. Just brush or rub it on, and wait a few, then wipe or hose off. Works like a champ. I tried the Starbrite Hull Cleaner in a spray bottle, and it worked fine, but it dripped onto my trailer and bleached it.

wolfeman131
08-15-2012, 09:01 AM
it dripped onto my trailer and bleached it.

Arrrrrghhh! That stinks.

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 09:33 AM
What are you guys using for oxidation or a hazey finish? The yellow on top of my boat is a little dull. Buffing compound? Sorry if this looks like a threadjack but it seems like a relative question

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

eblom
08-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I have had good success with meguires cleaner wax... or oxidation remover for bad spots... Then follow up with pure wax...

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/products/

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 10:17 AM
I have had good success with meguires cleaner wax... or oxidation remover for bad spots... Then follow up with pure wax...

http://www.meguiars.com/en/marine/products/

Hand buff and wax or high speed?

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

wolfeman131
08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Always go easy and work your way up, if needed. I say leave the rubbing compound and high speed stuff for last. there are plenty of wax/oxidation remover combo products out there. On our I/O, I used some Attwood stuff from WallyWorld that worked great to bring the shine back then followed up with a nice coat of wax.

eblom
08-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I ususally start out by hand... then if that doesnt cut it I switch to a cheap harbor freight buffer I picked up... I havent had to move to anything higher speed\better than that (like a Porter Cable DA) so I havent picked one up yet

rca
08-15-2012, 12:06 PM
This is probably a whole other thread, but preferred wax?

wolfeman131
08-15-2012, 12:16 PM
lot of folks like the Mequire's stuff.

I like the Leverage cleaner/wax. It's expensive, but the polymer base makes the boat shiny for most of the season with simply spray wax/wipedowns at the end of the weekend.

For the spray wax, I like the Meguire's, Mother's or Babes.

twhitney
08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
We also go to the San Bernard, Have family out on the river. We use starbrite with a used wash towel, but its a two man operation one wipes down the white part of the hull, the other follows with the waterhose right after to cut the cleaner from bleaching the trailer. Never had a problem with it.

rca
08-16-2012, 06:28 PM
I might try that too. Another suggestion was scrubbing bubbles, which is not supposed to be as tough on the trailer.

dykstral97
08-18-2012, 04:09 PM
i found that bio kleen oxidation remover works best. you can find it at http://www.biokleen.com/oxidation-removing.
hope this helps.