tower
board racks
perfect pass wakeboard edition
depthfinder
popup cleats
trailer guide pole covers
-----------------------------------
$31,300 including destination

Its a little more than I wanted to spend but I'm thinking real hard about it. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

qb12
07-26-2005, 09:48 AM
Skihard,

Did you go into the Moomba Configuration and price it with options as what they say is Suggested Retail for dealers. I came up with $32050 but went ahead and added the bimini top because i thought maybe you left that out.

Try to get them to throw in a amp, subwoofer and tower speakers and tell them you have a deal.

Good luck, I have really enjoyed my outback.

Doug, T-town

Buttafewcoe
07-26-2005, 01:17 PM
If at all possible, wait till the Boat Show.......you'll save a couple thousand more.

SkiHard
07-26-2005, 02:18 PM
How do I know what boat shows moomba will be at?

smokedog2
07-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Ask your dealer

SD2

SkiHard
07-26-2005, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Ed G

what would a mastercraft, malibu or tige cost with the exact same accessories?

Mastercraft X-9 $37,000 and I can get financing for 20 years... This is a tough choice.

Bobby
07-27-2005, 09:14 AM
It might be worth the effort to calculate the time use of $6,000 for twenty years vs. buying a Moomba. I am very happy with my 2003 Mobius LSV.

qb12
07-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Ed,

I have to agree with the financing thing. I have a client (yes I am a insurance agent) purchase a new I/O that was $18K and he financed that damm thing for 15 years. I about fell down. He will be so UPSIDE down on that in no time at all especially not putting at least 20% down. (he put $0 down)

And yes Skiers Choice does a wonderful job of taking care of it's customers.

Good luck with your purchase.

Doug, t-town

qb12
07-27-2005, 10:14 AM
Ed,

I do handle boat insurance. However only licensed in Ok.

Price is not to bad when compared to other companies. One thing for sure, DD or Vdrives are a lot more expensive than outboards or I/O's.

The only problem is I can't gripe to my agent.

SkiHard
07-27-2005, 12:53 PM
I'm wondering how much under MSRP are most people paying for their moombas?

Did you have to pay frieght and prep fees?

I will be financing for either 15 or 20 years, but only to keep my payments low till my car is paid off at the end of next year, then I'll kill the boat loan in less than 2 years, so I guess its really not a 15 year loan, but I do need to keep the payments low till the damn volvo is paid off! (don't get me wrong I love my volvo)

Also in the running right now besides the MC is an '05 Gekko GTO22. I'm gonna grab the best deal and go with it, but I'd love to join the moomba community, you guys are awesome!

smokedog2
07-27-2005, 01:23 PM
So, does that Gekko do the moon walk or sell car insurance? I didn't look where you live but someone suggested wait for the boat show - solid advice.

The boat show pitch has a three year warranty option and some free options. Dealer discount depends a bit on the local boat market. I believe you will see inboards bumping up 6-8% next year.

I went v-drive and cannot give you an exact number but the dealer should have a little more room to move. That said, the dealer and how you will be treated after the sale will make a huge difference. That should be part of the analysis.

If your credit is good your interest rate should be excellent. Buy it, put it on auto pay and forget about it. In five years the rate of inflation is going to be higher than your interest rate IMHO.

Good Luck,

SD2

Oh, the Volvo, to quote my brother “I cannot afford to keep it.” E.g. most of its life was spent broke or being fixed with $900 water pumps. I hope that’s not your tow vehicle.

And - Saabs are a POS as well (hi Ed).

qb12
07-27-2005, 01:28 PM
Ed,

that was great about the geeko.

here in ok. the lake i go to has about 5 moomba's and we hang out.

we call it the kanga gang.

Dave A
07-27-2005, 05:02 PM
I paid $32,500 for a 05 Mobius Ls DD out the door at the boat show. I have similar equipment except no perfect pass, but I got a 3yr bumper to bumper warranty on the boat. At the boat show Skier's Choice was offering 4 free options valued at around 3k. I configured my boat and my dealer took 2k off that price, then I got another 1800 plus the warranty at the boat show.

SkiHard
07-28-2005, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Dave A

I paid $32,500 for a 05 Mobius Ls DD out the door at the boat show. I have similar equipment except no perfect pass, but I got a 3yr bumper to bumper warranty on the boat. At the boat show Skier's Choice was offering 4 free options valued at around 3k. I configured my boat and my dealer took 2k off that price, then I got another 1800 plus the warranty at the boat show.

So you're saying the msrp on your boat was around $37,000 and you paid $32,500? Did the dealer charge any frieght or prep fees? Was it $32500 before or after tax title and all that other stuff? Thanks again!

Dave A
07-28-2005, 04:10 PM
I think the boat listed for around 35,500, before tax or dealer prep. The 32,500 was tax, tag and title, out the door. I know I paid around $400 dealer prep and or freight. I essentially paid list for the boat and got the discount on the add on items. If you can wait until next year, the boat show helps alot. If you talk to you dealer before hand, he may be able to order your boat for the show, you buy it at the show and get the additional discount and then take it home. Our boat show in Alabama was in February, so it was another 3 weeks before I went and got my boat.

silverski
07-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Disclaimer - I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feel.

I think Dave A is right if you were dealing on this boat in May. Given the fact that it is essentially August and and the 06's will be put out this month, I would think the deals would be very good. Yes the deals are good at the boat show, but my guess is that the dealers also purchase their inventory boats through boat show pricing and get the boats on the lot with those incentives.

Secondly, if you assume that prices will go up 6% on next years model, that is $2,100 on a $35,000 boat. If the model doesn't materially change and you intend on keeping the boat for awhile that is a lot of money to give up. Counterpoint is that you would not have to fork over or finance the money until next spring if you waited.

Is the boat show the only place that you can get the extended warranty?

Buy the boat. You'll like it. Having said that I bought mine at boat show this winter.

SkiHard
07-29-2005, 10:50 AM
Can someone talk me out of the Gekko GTR-22?! I HATE the bow configuration, but check out this deal:

PCM Excalibur 330 HP DD
Perfect Pass Digital Pro
AM/FM/CD w/Remote
Heater w/3 Snorkles
Shower
Tower

$26,995

I could get over the bow configuration for a deal like that, but my main concern is that since I live on LI, I'm worried that a wake from a 55' boat is gonna just swallow that thing. Has anyone here driven in any gekko gtr-22, gto-22, or gtx-22? How do they handle rough water?

07-29-2005, 12:30 PM

waterski mag rates it as a pretty good ski boat.

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=9693

I have never heard of Gekko boats until you mentioned the name.

One concern I would have is, is there a dealer in your area for when it comes time for service?

There are no dealers in my area except MC, even with the moomba I'd have to drive about 100 miles for service. My main concern with the Gekko is the low freeboard, things can get a bit hairy down here on Long Island, no offense to you lake folk, but unless you're on a great lake, you really don't know what a wave is. The idea of a 3' wave rolling over that low slung Gekko bow is enough to give me night sweats....

SkiHard
07-29-2005, 12:31 PM

waterski mag rates it as a pretty good ski boat.

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=9693

I have never heard of Gekko boats until you mentioned the name.

One concern I would have is, is there a dealer in your area for when it comes time for service?

There are no dealers in my area except MC, even with the moomba I'd have to drive about 100 miles for service. My main concern with the Gekko is the low freeboard, things can get a bit hairy down here on Long Island, no offense to you lake folk, but unless you're on a great lake, you really don't know what a wave is. The idea of a 3' wave rolling over that low slung Gekko bow is enough to give me night sweats....

SkiHard
07-29-2005, 01:09 PM
I'm on the ocean side of LI, though the sound has its moments too. DD ski boat is the only runabout for me, just gotta find one that can handle the occasional boat wake from an 80' party boat. I'm wondering if leaving the bow cover on would provide any protection should a wave come over teh bow, or would it just collapse anyway?

07-29-2005, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Swairlines

SkiHard,

I might be wrong in my thinking here but here goes anyway...

I have an 05 Outback and in the short time I've owned it I've had at least 3 wake waves come over my bow (when turning around to pick up a dropped skier/wakeboarder). The amount of water that came over my bow was something on the order of 20 gallons. The entire port side of the boat interior got wet. So you'll have to think about this....

Fresh water is about 7 lbs per gallon. Salt water is going to be more (I dont know how much more though)....

I dont know if I would rely on a bow cover to hold up to the approximate 140 lbs of water weight.

Too much risk for me...

Jeff

Yea I'm not certain a cover is gonna be able to hold up to it, but don't fret about dunking your bow in your own wake when picking up a skier, you can pretty much do that on any open bow boat. I did it once when I was little and my dad flipped, and haven't done it since, but I've been there when it happens, can be avoided by not driving straight into the wake. I'm really not at all concerned about the boat getting dunked when I'm driving though, I'm used avoiding the massive wakes around here. Believe it or not, I'm more worried about when the boat is just sitting there, not under power at all, this is when I can see the bow cover being useful because you are not driving into a wave under power, so there should be much less stress. Though, having just looked at a whole bunch of pics of the gekko, I'm thinking its gonna be the moomba, they call the gekko a 22, but thats INCLUDING the swimplatform (since they are molded in) and its only 21'7" at that, so its really a 19 foot boat, and the cramped interior reflects it.

SkiHard
07-29-2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Swairlines

SkiHard,

I might be wrong in my thinking here but here goes anyway...

I have an 05 Outback and in the short time I've owned it I've had at least 3 wake waves come over my bow (when turning around to pick up a dropped skier/wakeboarder). The amount of water that came over my bow was something on the order of 20 gallons. The entire port side of the boat interior got wet. So you'll have to think about this....

Fresh water is about 7 lbs per gallon. Salt water is going to be more (I dont know how much more though)....

I dont know if I would rely on a bow cover to hold up to the approximate 140 lbs of water weight.

Too much risk for me...

Jeff

Yea I'm not certain a cover is gonna be able to hold up to it, but don't fret about dunking your bow in your own wake when picking up a skier, you can pretty much do that on any open bow boat. I did it once when I was little and my dad flipped, and haven't done it since, but I've been there when it happens, can be avoided by not driving straight into the wake. I'm really not at all concerned about the boat getting dunked when I'm driving though, I'm used avoiding the massive wakes around here. Believe it or not, I'm more worried about when the boat is just sitting there, not under power at all, this is when I can see the bow cover being useful because you are not driving into a wave under power, so there should be much less stress. Though, having just looked at a whole bunch of pics of the gekko, I'm thinking its gonna be the moomba, they call the gekko a 22, but thats INCLUDING the swimplatform (since they are molded in) and its only 21'7" at that, so its really a 19 foot boat, and the cramped interior reflects it.

Dave A
07-29-2005, 05:11 PM
I've had water come over my windshield from my own wake, picking someone up. I'm still working the kinks out.

NC05LSV
07-29-2005, 10:04 PM
Any inboard wakeboard boat has the potential of letting water come over the bow. This is especially prevalent with the 21' footers.........MC SAN Moomba etc. With any wakeboard/ski boat you should always completely come off the throttle and let the boat coast after someone comes off and after the follow wake passes you idle turn and pick up your rider. This will also keep other boarders on the lake happy. In regards to the gekko or the X-9, you can get an LSV for around 37,000 with all the options at boat show prices. If you predominately wakeboard you will be happier with the v-drive config. V's also have a lot more room inside.........as a disclaimer......this is all IMO

smokedog2
07-30-2005, 06:10 PM
Yea, I get water over the front when I want to get the girls wet.

Other than that - tubing I have done it twice by mistake. With boarders stop reverse, back inside my own wake & no problems. The tubes I yank & bank, they fly off & I cut the throttle going into the last part of a doughnut. Oh, you get some water then, kinda slow motion too cus you can see it coming.

The stuff I want dry is in plastic buckets.

SD2

chpprpilot
07-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Like NCO said, any and all ski boats have this problem. It's not the boat, it's the driver. You can't drive it like a big "V" drive boat, you have to totally come off of the throttle, let the wake pass you, then turn to pick up the skier. All small ski boats are the same.
You'll get it. It's all about how you drive the boat. You have to be careful about how you pull your powere back as well. If your throttle movement is too fast you'll scoop water. It took me a while to get it, but when you want a boat with a tournament wake, you'll have these issues 'till you get used to it.