PDA

View Full Version : Problems filling and emptying ballast bags

LyndonH Dubai
08-12-2012, 03:07 PM
Whilst i havent been using the ballast bags a lot, i seem to constantly have problems in either filling or emptying the ballast bags
the front seems to fill, very slowly but not empty.
the rear left seems to fill when the front fills and i cant seem to fill the rear bags seperately very well?
is there anything simple i can do to rectify this or check what the problems are?
or is there any easy system i can install that will help me, im not mechanically minded at all!

also, then at what level do people run the boat at to achieve a perfect wake? i board at around 22mph ish, sometimes at 23 to clean it up a little, but it would be nice to achieve a bigger wake at slightly less speed etc?

kaneboats
08-13-2012, 10:40 AM
Lyndon, can you remind us what boat you have-- model and year? I think you have the older Gravity III ballast with the single fill pump and sprinkler valves. Is that right?

ga-lsv05
08-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Yea sounds like the sprinkler valve setup. Be sure all of the manual valve switches are in the off position

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

kaneboats
08-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Those valves are crap. You can clean them out or replace them with these:

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-700-Series-Valves-s/433.htm

LyndonH Dubai
08-14-2012, 04:09 AM
Lyndon, can you remind us what boat you have-- model and year? I think you have the older Gravity III ballast with the single fill pump and sprinkler valves. Is that right?

hi, my boat is actually a late 2004 Gravity Games, XLV, and yes i think it has the old gravity 3 system, bertha i think is mentioned on there too? would that be right?

LyndonH Dubai
08-14-2012, 04:15 AM
hi there , thanjs, without sounding too thick, but where abouts do these go?
i only really know about the solenoids which i keep checking, cleaning, freeing up and greasing?
are these easy to fit and where abouts do the go?
thanks for your help

LyndonH Dubai
08-14-2012, 04:21 AM
how do i find where these are? as i say, i know the solenoids? , they have an on and off position, i currently have them in the on position?
but i assume this is in the valves themselves, are these by the solenoids or by the bags?
they are very intermittent, sometimes work, most times fill but not empty easy etc

LyndonH Dubai
08-14-2012, 05:00 AM
if i bought something like this, will any make of valve do or best this make? im just thinking of shipping costs to dubai etc and also would i use the one with flow control or the cheaper versions without flow control??

kaneboats
08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
You don't need the flow control-- that's for turning down the flow in a sprinkler application. You want all the flow you can get for ballast. These swap out for the grey colored valves just below the solenoids you mentioned. They are a nice upgrade from the standard valves. You just disconnect the solenoid and hoses then unscrew the valves from the manifold and replace with the irritrol ones. It's an easy swap.

cfdrews12
08-15-2012, 05:32 PM
Also, need to check to see the pumps are working correctly or engaging when you flip the switch. I found that in some cases my pumps were not working properly because of no electric connection from the switches by the drivers seat. Months or years of sitting cause the connectors on the back to get ugly or corroded. Use an electronic connection cleaning spray and sneak one of your wife's Emory boards to clean up. The spray loosens up the junk, and the Emory board let's you get back to bare metal after just a couple of swipes. Reconnect wires and your good to go. If pumps are engaging correctly, this isn't an issue.

kaneboats
08-15-2012, 05:47 PM
Yes, corrosion is the enemy here. Make sure the pumps are all coming on when the correspoding switches are engaged. Make sure you have unobstructed flow in and out of the ballast bags. If the valves are malfunctioning, they can be cleaned. But, replacing them may be necessary.

usaski1
08-16-2012, 07:42 AM
I say screw all solonoids in favor of a manual valve. Its more work, but it works every time, without fail. I was having the dreaded sprinkler valve is closed issue, and ripped it out. I also ripped of that strainer too.. dont need it. Now im filling faster, and I never have any issues. Is the manual valve a PITA? Sometimes.. but whats more was being on the lake with no ballast at all.

kaneboats
08-16-2012, 10:06 AM
I scrapped the strainer too. Don't think he wants to scrap the whole system. This is an XLV. He'd need three shut off valves that operate manually. It could be done but would be a royal pain. I think it's easier to keep the current stuff clean.

ga-lsv05
08-16-2012, 11:02 AM
Back to your original problem, there are small black switches on the sprinkler valves. Make sure all these are in the off position. If one or more is on, that would explain why you can't feel bags seperately. As far as not emptying, you probably have a bad pump. The center bag pump is located in the compartment with the center bag. Would be simple enough to remove it and plug it into another pump connector to see if it works or not.

kaneboats
08-16-2012, 01:20 PM
I have had empty pumps lose prime-- don't even understand how that happens-- long road trip let air get way up in there maybe. If it buzzes it should run. Otherwise replace.

BobP
08-29-2012, 03:00 PM
Back to your original problem, there are small black switches on the sprinkler valves. Make sure all these are in the off position. If one or more is on, that would explain why you can't feel bags seperately. As far as not emptying, you probably have a bad pump. The center bag pump is located in the compartment with the center bag. Would be simple enough to remove it and plug it into another pump connector to see if it works or not.

Sorry for being ignorant, which position is the "off" position...all the way to the left or all the way to the right?

ga-lsv05
08-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Can't remember right off hand but if you look closely it tells you on the valve

mnpracing
08-29-2012, 03:34 PM
Sorry for being ignorant, which position is the "off" position...all the way to the left or all the way to the right?

perpendicular to the valve body.

BobP
08-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks a lot guys, had issues this past weekend. Center sack would not fill so flipped switch for center valve and it started filling. Then, when emptying right sack and filling left sack, center sack was also filling even though rocker for center sack was off. So, need to make sure the valve switches are in correct position and then see if everything works as before or if there are other issues. Unfortunately have boat lift issues too so not sure we are even getting boat in the water this weekend.

LyndonH Dubai
09-02-2012, 06:30 AM
cheers for this.
i have got one of the valves out now and I have attached a picture of the existing ones, like you say they are grey.
the only problem is im located in dubai so might need to just replace them with the same? or i guess wait a while for the others you suggested?
i have attached a pic just to check its the right ones im talking about?
also, where are the ballast pumps located? and how can i test them? are they easy to replace also even for a man of no technical ability such as myself
my technical ability is so bad i nearly sunk the boat yesterday as launched her thinking that with one of the valves not in there, the boat would be ok as long as i didnt use the filling systems
when i realised there was 6 inches of water in the hull and the power was dropping a bit, i got her out of the water PDQ and drained it via a drain plug i have had installed.
i washed the underside around the AFT area to clean it but have asked a mechanic to give her a look over today to check i havent done damage etc
would this do much damagae do you think?
i didnt realise the water filled the system anyway? how thick am i!! DOH!!!
still you learn from these things

moombahighrider
09-02-2012, 07:49 AM
Lyndon, i apologise in advance for the long post.
as you found out, the water will push past your pump while under way and it's the sprinkler valves that stop the flow. I assume that you are running in salt water and that is why you are worried about damage? Provided no engine parts were actually under/ in water, you should be fine. Do you not have a bilge pump?

If you are going to replace the sprinkler valves, I would definitely move away from the orbit option and go for the better quality irritrol option previously mentioned. The orbit valve is super restrictive on water flow. I could be wrong but I think you can do a straight swap from orbit to irritrol with little to no extra parts.

I am not familiar with the xlv pump locations but The main intake pump should be mounted to the inside of the hull via a valve in the engine bay area. Just follow the line from the three orbit valves back to locate the pump. The empty pumps are located close to the rear/ empty line of each bag (three in total). Just follow the empty line from each bag and you will locate them. As mentioned, they will buzz or hum when turned on, so verify that and then you may have to lift on the bags to ensure the water is flowing to the empty pump end of the bag and that you don't have an airlock.

I had a number of frustrating issues with my gravity 3 system and ended up pulling it all out on the fill side and replacing with three dedicated pumps with their own intake through the hull (one for each bag). Given your location and technical knowledge, I really don't suggest this option, as it would likely create more headaches than its worth, but know that a number of us have had similar problems as you are experiencing. I am sure that we can help you get where you need to be.

Just be systematic at your troubleshooting and take your time to figure out what has working properly and what is not. Then we can give you specific guidance.

Also, the valves are typical sprinkler system valves. I realize you are in Dubai and green grass may be a commodity, but are there any landscape companies that do irrigation systems in the area? They would be able to help you with parts or replacement valves. Just a thought.

LyndonH Dubai
09-02-2012, 02:50 PM
thanks for all your help

i am indeed running in saltwater and its really nasty, worst salt i have ever seen here in dubai, i think due to the desalination process to use the water etc, but who knows

some of the part around the automatic transmission where in water, and i guess that as she ran and lifted the nose, some water splashed up into the back engine

the boat was changed to a closed system, so it runs on the manifols system with i think the water just going through the exhaust to cool. the previous owner changed it all as was having problems with the salt.

im hoping she is ok and i havent heard anything from the mechanic yet today, so lets hope that no news is good news.

probably ruined my starter motor again though!!

i will trace these pumps and also see if i can get the irritol valves as they sound better to be honest

one day i will finally get these working correcttly!!

always seemed to have problems with these and also never had the perfect pass working! must get on to that next!!

all joiking apart, this boat i think is 2004, or 2005, she has about 480 hours on the newer engine, but 760 hours on the whole boat. ive done a lot to it and she generally runs well

ive had Ipod docs put on it in terms of the fusion head unit and docking and wired remote etc, and the chrome graphics and docking lights, so she looks the part.

i keep thinking should i upgrade to a new boat, but its costly here in dubai, have to get it shipped in either way.

whats anyones general opinion of when you should change your boat value wise to get the best, or keep her going etc as she is, its a good model, the gracvity games edition so she is a nice peice etc