PDA

View Full Version : Regular starter motor issues

LyndonH Dubai
08-12-2012, 02:54 PM
I seem to have regular problems with the starter motor seizing due to the extreme salt levels in Dubai.
I have had it replaced a couple of times, but it seized again last week, and there was even sparks coming from the connectors attached to the starter motor.
The mechanic i use said this is a common problem due to the location of the starter motor and the way sea water splashes up from the bottom of the hull and gets into the motor.
does anyone else have this as a common problem or has anyone managed to come up with any ways of avoiding this.
it does seem in a very exposed position and prone to drips off the back seat after coming out of the water etc?
for the technical people amonst you (which certainly isnt me) my boat is the XLV Gravity Games edition 2005 if that helps
any help and guidance would be awsome as i never know when my girl is likely to start!!

DOCDRS
08-12-2012, 06:18 PM
I would put a dripless shaft seal so you don't have all that water splashing around in the bottom of your boat.

cab13367
08-13-2012, 09:29 AM
^^+1. And have people dry off on the swim platform before getting in to minimize salt water getting in your boat if you want to get anal about it.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
I would put a dripless shaft seal so you don't have all that water splashing around in the bottom of your boat.

This^^^^

Have you located where the water is coming from? Most likely your seal as Doc mentioned. But may want to check your ballast system and hoses just in case. Fix that and the starter will not be an issue.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

KSmith
08-13-2012, 10:27 AM
After installing a dripless shaft seal...

You could build some splash guards out of almost anything, I'd probably use mud flaps, install one above the starter to sheild it from water coming from the swim platform, and one wrapped around it from below, not attached to the starter but bent to protect the bottom and sides leaving a few inches between the splash guard and starter, like a U shape. You'd have to find attachment points and probably build some metal mounting straps to attach to the mounting points and splash guard...

Or you could get a new Indmar 409 installed, they have the starters on top... ;-)

deepcove
08-13-2012, 08:24 PM
As stated above dripless packing would help, as would trying to bring less salt water into the boat from people getting in and out. Also there is a product available called Plid made by a company in Western Canada called Ship To Shore. Remove your starter and spray it down with this while working the gear up and down. Also spray the electrical contacts. Spray annually.....you will be amazed by the results. For a period of time I was having my starter rebuilt every 1 -2 seasons.....not the case since I began using this product. You can also use it on all your electrical and anything metal on your engine to fight corrosion.

BTW The starter location on the Indmar is also prone to corrosion from leaking risers......drips down the manifold and right into the starter....... so make sure this is not leaking as well.

motosno963
08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
oorrrrr haha if you want to pay for a plane ticket ill fly out there and help you work on your boat and take me out on the water once haha