PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Surge Brakes Working?

Garn
08-10-2012, 05:23 PM
How can I tell if the surge breaks on my trailer are working? When I'm pulling the boat and step on the brake, it seems like I'm being pushed more then I am used to. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Garn

bergermaister
08-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Start with the easy stuff -

Unplug your lights and try backing up. If you can't do it without almost doing a burnout then your surge brakes are working.

Pop the little cap on the trailer tongue and check the brake fluid reservoir - make sure it's topped off.

Still concerned? Pull a wheel and inspect your pads/calipers/rotors.

wolfeman131
08-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Visually inspect the rotor face. They develop a thin coat of rust quickly. If there is rust present, the caliber hasn't been engaging/the brake pads aren't grabbing the rotor. As I only use the trailer twice a year, I notice the rust in the fall and take the trailer for a spin before loading the boat. If the rust is gone after my test drive, I know all is working as it should be.

ga-lsv05
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Usually if there is a loss in hydraulic pressure in the brake system, the tongue will collapse pretty easily and will not push itself back out. This would be noticed when taking off from a stop you will feel a jerk as the tongue is pulled out by your tow vehicle.

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

bergermaister
08-14-2012, 06:13 PM
Really? I thought that the little "clunk" when taking off was pretty common for surge brake trailers. I've had that for years but I know the brakes work. Maybe not as good as they could/should...

moombacraze
08-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Really? I thought that the little "clunk" when taking off was pretty common for surge brake trailers. I've had that for years but I know the brakes work. Maybe not as good as they could/should...

+1

My trailer does the same thing. I thought it was normal. My brakes ate working great as well. Hmmm

jpetty3023
08-14-2012, 07:25 PM
My trailer has been doing that same thing since I took delivery as a new unit. Don't think that "jerk" is relative to brake issues. If it is I've ha a bad trailer since signing my life away

Sent from my home phone..

ga-lsv05
08-15-2012, 08:09 AM
A slight jerk is normal. Just a small bump is all you should feel. When my brakes weren't working I had to ease off from a stop otherwise it would slam pretty hard

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast