PDA

View Full Version : Sub Box

BWeber
08-09-2012, 08:40 AM
Ok,

So here is a little mod I have been working on. Hadnt seen anyone do this yet so I thought I would post. I am sure many of you have different opinions about this but it accomplished what I was going for. My main goals were to add bass to the audio and not take up any "valuable" storage in the process. I could have stuffed a sub under the driver console, but I wanted something a little different so the sub wasnt firing at my feet.

I built the box out of 1/2in MDF, sealed the inside with silicone. Each chamber is about 1.25 cuFT. I attempted to spray a gel coat on the exterior for water protection, but the finish didnt turn out the way I expected. (I may pull it this winter and re-finished it). It sounds pretty darn good for (2) 10" Kicker VRs. Its powered by a DX1000 Mono. I probably still need to make some amp adjustments to optimize the sound.

New Guy
08-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Looks awesome that is exactly where I would put mine when I get a new boat. The only thing that I would do differently is I would side fire them at the hull if possible.

wolfeman131
08-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Now there is a good way to fill in that space for those that don't like it!

sandm
08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
I like the look of it, but i would be too afraid the speaker would get damaged, spilled on, or extremely wet there. Side firing would solve some of the issues but wolfe suggested using those sides for lifejackets that will rattle and offer up more chances for water.
Interested to see what u think longterm ofthat location.
Quality of the box looks great..

moombadaze
08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
clever re-use of the space, make sure to report how it works longer term

brain_rinse
08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Good idea! Do you have pics of side & rear? Did you leave the fiberglass cover in place and just build around it?

E4NASH
08-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Well done! I like that! I probably would've done the same thing if my boat had that "unfinished" area. Definitely interested in how it performs long term. Keep us updated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWeber
08-10-2012, 07:57 AM
I had completely removed the fiberglass cover. The cover has a lot of dead space under it, which was needed to meet the volume requirements for the subs.

I agree with the side firing for protection of the subwoofer.... since completion looking back, a sight design change may have allowed room for the side fire. With the current design the reason for front fire is because of the fuel fill lines that run through the opening. I had to create a channel in the box to clear the lines.

This picture is from the back of the box during building.

Also, I had to create clearance for the support brace that runs on the underside of the rear bench seat. I believe this was a major factor when picking out the subs, this wouldnt allow for 10" on the side.

I was able to hit the lake yesterday and put them to good use. It is much easier to hear music while surfing even without tower speaker. I do notice a little bit more noise from the engine since the box doesnt seal as well as the fiberglass cover. It also rattles the floor panel, but I think putting the carpet back in will help that.

I will keep everyone updated on longterm comments.

jmvotto
08-10-2012, 09:18 AM
looks great. may want to put some rubber spacers under the box to let water from wet riders travel to the bilge without contact.

motosno963
08-10-2012, 05:30 PM
not bad i like it..i would have placed it a tad further back(if ya could) just so the speaker guard doesnt get kicked or stepped on..other then that its a nice spot