PDA

View Full Version : Depth Guage Puck - What kind of epoxy?

csm
08-08-2012, 07:49 PM
Seems like no matter what I try, my depth guage puck comes loose after about a month, and I no longer get a reading. I've tried some of the quick 5-minute epoxy a couple of times, and I've also tried Marine Goop, which I figured would work, but the same thing happened. Is there something else I should be using?

Or is it more likely that there's a hard layer of gunk in my v-drive compartment that the epoxy won't cure to? If that's the case, what do you guys use to clean the area before getting the puck to stick?

KSmith
08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Sand the area where the puck will be mounted, 60 grit should work, rough it up good. Clean with alcohol. I have had great luck with Heavy Duty Expoxy from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202538711/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=heavy+duty+epoxy&storeId=10051

zabooda
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Interesting, as I have used silicone in the past to temporarily test a location and the puck has stayed there and never came up. Prep the surface is the trick including removing the oil film.

harmsway
08-09-2012, 01:13 PM
I have also used clear automotive silicone and on my 3rd year and have yet to have a problem with the puck coming up. Make sure to clean the surface good.

csm
08-09-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks guys. I thought I was cleaning it pretty good, but have never tried sandpaper, so I'll give that a try, in addition to cleaning.

WolfpackRider
08-10-2012, 11:09 AM
Make sure to test the spot before gluing!! I cleaned the surface really well (wiped off everything that came up, then degreaser, then alcohol) and then epoxied it down. Unfortunately, I didn't think much about the location and put it a little behind the raw water intake. :( Now, it rarely works. On the flipside - any ideas on getting it off?

Boonejeepin
08-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Bite the bullet and buy another puck. I would not recommend removing the 1st one.