PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some assistance

vandy654
08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Just got the boat setup this year for surfing. 750 in the rear locker, 400 in the center ski locker. We can't seem to be able to stay in the pocket. Suggestions? I am using a Broadcast, 4'9". I am about 175 lbs. My hunch is we need more weight in the front. Also, where is everyone getting the surf rack that fits on the oval cross bar?

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p637/vandy654/th_julywakesurf.jpg (http://s1159.photobucket.com/albums/p637/vandy654/?action=view&current=julywakesurf.mp4)

Hope this link works...

kaneboats
08-08-2012, 08:49 AM
A couple of things-- do you have a wake plate? If so, what is the position of it? What is your boat speed? How many people in the boat and where are they sitting? Is the surf side rear corner sunk down just about to the rub rail? To me it looks like the wave is close but not quite on so you should be making subtle adjustments. First try having everybody in the boat sit in back on the surf side. Start out at 10 MPH and adjust up and down in .2 increments from there while watching the wave. Let us know the answers to the questions above and post your results with any changes you make. We are here to help!

Oh yeah, are you sure you are getting your bags full? Did you burp the air out of them? Sometimes they look really full and tight but much of the space just has air in it. Check this carefully.

bergermaister
08-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Also, where is everyone getting the surf rack that fits on the oval cross bar?

Haven't found one...

Kane's advice is right on. Are you running a river or a lake? If a river the current can mess with your speed readings so that's also something to watch for.

kaneboats
08-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Well, the Broadcast fits in the regular wakeboard racks. That doesn't help if you are getting more boards though.

cab13367
08-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Looking at the video, I suggest:

1. Come in a little closer to the boat, about 2'-3' closer.
2. Put a little more weight on your front foot and put a little more weight on your toeside edge to keep you a little tigher to the wave. Otherwise, your stance and position relative to the wave face looks good.
3. Looks like you are going a little fast. Try 10.0 mph.
4. Looks like you're wakeplate might be down? Try putting it all the way up.
5. Don't throw the rope in until you are getting continuous slack.

And make sure everyone is sitting on the surf side, with the heaviest person in the rear corner, next heaviest beside him/her, etc.

You look like you are really close though. Just a few little tweaks and you're there.

cab13367
08-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Check out the video on the first post of this thread. I am running the same ballast as you, although my hull is different. You should be able to get similar results.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?12711-LSV-wave

Replicant
08-09-2012, 06:48 PM
The only thing I would add/emphasize is to put EVERYTHING on the surf side. Pull that weight out of the center locker and put it on the surf side seat. If you have plenty of people, put it next to the seat. My feeling (I could always be wrong) is that with your hull, putting weight up forward will flatten the wake out.

vandy654
08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks gents for the help. To answer your questions:

1. I have no wake plate. I just have that plate that is rigidly mounted to the boat.
2. I have been playing with the speed. Been ranging between 9 and 11 MPH. I haven't calibrated the speedos since last summer, so I need to do that again. I don't have Perfect Pass.
3. I average around 7-8 people in the boat. All sitting on the surf side. Played with them moving around, trying to put heavier people in the front.
4. The rub rail is sunk down to about 3-4" from the water.
5. I am sure I am getting the bags full (as full as the 750 can get in my compartment). I have a vent line on them, I fill the bags until water is coming out of the top vent.
6. Running on a lake.
7. Thanks for the tips on riding Al, I will try this. Haven't been out in a couple weeks, hope to this weekend. Will post some results!

Thanks all for the help!

vandy654
08-13-2012, 01:38 PM
I should also mention, when I did get closer to the back of the boat, it felt like the wave would force me to run into the back of the boat, I did get thrown into the back a couple times. Seems like the wave is big, the pocket isn't that long. I think that means not enough weight in the front.

kaneboats
08-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Right on. Have a few of your peeps move up front. As for catching the boat you are doing everything right but probably just braking too much. I tell new riders 90% gas and 10% brakes, not the other way around. You're getting it.