PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new board...suggestions?

E4NASH
08-07-2012, 09:43 PM
My buddy is looking for a board. He's tried every board I have (Hyperlite Broadcast 4'8" and a CWB Ride 63") and he can't get it. He's a husky guy about 5'10" 230. He is looking at the Ronix Koal 5'3". Not sure that board would be too good for a beginner and I haven't really heard any positive things about it either. I think he needs more of a surf style with more buoyancy and one that is fast.

You guys have any suggestions that I can pass along to him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
08-07-2012, 11:08 PM
How much does he want to spend?

The IS Blue Lake is a fantastic board, IMO. Phase 5 Oogle, is supposed to be real nice.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Buddy had a Victoria Factor that we rode the other day and it was pretty damn nice. Very easy to ride. It was more skim style which I like. He is 6'4 220 and rides it with ease.

I do not think his size is the issue, he has to be doing something wrong technically. But if you want to look at a bigger board, tell him to take a gander at that huge Hyperlite, Landlocked or something. Can't remember the exact name and my ambien has kicked in so I need to get off my computer anyway. :)

C.Hern5972
08-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Ronix Kohl is a great ride too

E4NASH
08-08-2012, 08:09 AM
Buddy had a Victoria Factor that we rode the other day and it was pretty damn nice. Very easy to ride. It was more skim style which I like. He is 6'4 220 and rides it with ease.

I do not think his size is the issue, he has to be doing something wrong technically. But if you want to look at a bigger board, tell him to take a gander at that huge Hyperlite, Landlocked or something. Can't remember the exact name and my ambien has kicked in so I need to get off my computer anyway. :)

To be honest I don't think it's all size either. I'm 6'2" 210 and I ride smaller boards...I, like you, think his technique is off. I've tried coaching him up a little but he's not that great of a student. He can't stand it when someone is better than him at something...hahaha

Anyone else heard the koal was decent?

He probably doesn't want to spend more than around $300.

kaneboats
08-08-2012, 09:19 AM
TripleX would be much faster than what he's been riding. But, my advice is to keep him on a Broadcast or something similar till he can surf then have him try other boards. Sounds to me like he's putting the cart before the horse.

dusty2221
08-08-2012, 09:26 AM
I rode the Koal and did not much care for it.

wolfeman131
08-08-2012, 10:21 AM
I rode the Koal and did not much care for it.

yeah, haven't heard/read much positive news on that one. Maybe the larger Broadcast would be a good place to start.

Or, motivational techniques such as, "If you continue to ignore my instructions, you get 3 falls. Then you're in the boat."

kaneboats
08-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Showing him video of what he's doing and what a better surfer is doing could be helpful too.

E4NASH
08-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Showing him video of what he's doing and what a better surfer is doing could be helpful too.

Well he sees me surf all the time, he KNOWS what a better surfer is doing! Haha

I have suggested the bigger broadcast so I will push that one a little harder.

dusty2221
08-08-2012, 11:39 AM
What is his problem with the current boards? Did I miss that part?

E4NASH
08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
What is his problem with the current boards? Did I miss that part?

Well, I had the CWB Ride. I had a hard time learning on that one. Not sure why but I couldn't get it. I got the Broadcast 4'8" and learned pretty quick on that. Then, I was able to ride anything. Not long after that I sold the Ride. I also have a Triple X skimboard. That is the board I prefer over all that I have ridden. He has ridden every board and spent a lot of time on the Broadcast and it just hasn't clicked yet. I think the problem is more so his positioning and technique but at the same time I think he'd have an easier time learning on a bigger board because like I said he's husky. I've told him to not go buy some crazy priced board until he figures it out and can do it consistently. But he wants to get his own board. Fine by me one less person to use mine.

He has a hard time controlling his weight distribution and his shoulder needs to be more toward the wave. He puts too much weight on his back foot also. I learned a lot if tricks from Drew, Daze, and Kane at the jam so I'm hoping to apply them this weekend and see if we can't get him some progression.

C.Hern5972
08-08-2012, 12:59 PM
CONS on the KOHL... Please, as my son got this for me for fathers day.... Might have to trade it as it is still wrapped up.

dusty2221
08-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Sounds like he just needs to get off the brakes. A faster board certainly would not help that.

E4NASH
08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Sounds like he just needs to get off the brakes. A faster board certainly would not help that.

That's true...