PDA

View Full Version : Fat Sac Fittings

Lake Bound
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I have a 2002 Outback LS with the center sac and the rear sac. The problem that I am having is the plastic fittings will not stay on the sac. When it gets threaded on you can pull it back off. Just wondering if this is a problem others have had, and I need a fix as I am leaving for vacation and hope to use them a lot. Thank You

NC05LSV
07-20-2005, 11:15 PM
My rear bags were doing the same thing. I found out that they were sitting in such a way that when nearly full, there was a ton of torque on the fittings. I had to move my bags around a little and found out what worked. I also find that I have to check the tightness of the fittings a lot prior to filling up.

clark
07-21-2005, 11:07 PM
I am having the same problem with my rear bags on my 05 Mobius LSV. My problem is exactly like NC05LSV, my fix was the same. I think the hoses aren't long enough.

Clark

dkjbama92mari
07-22-2005, 04:34 AM
I'm new here, but a veteran at the sister Supra board.

I dont have much knowledge of ballast systems, but i just a thought. A couple wraps of teflon tape around the threads on the hoses might tighten things up just enough to keep the fittings from coming apart.

Cheers,
DKJ

Lake Bound
07-22-2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the replies but this problem exists shen the bags are empty. It seems to me that the threads on the bags and the threads on the plastic connectors are not the same. I wish there was another solution to those water bed type connectors. Lake Bound

chpprpilot
07-22-2005, 12:14 PM
I've had EXACTLY the same problem. It happens several times a day, especially just before a butter run when I'm in the water, for which I have to get back into the boat! I've tried pipe tape, tightening the fittings as tight as possible and moving the bags around. I've thought about gluing the connectors to the bag but I'm afraid of pulling the hoses out of their source...if that's in fact what the problem is...I'm out of ideas.
If movement of the bags is the issue then I'll make something to jeep them in place. But at this point it doesn't really matter "why" anymore. All I know is that they've completely defeated the purpose of having a ballast system. At least with the old hoses and pumps the bags would stay the way I set them up until I wanted them to change. Now I never know what I'm going to get for a wake until I see it.
My dealer wants me to take some digital photos of them to send to the factory. I understand there are two manufacturers fot the rear bags. It's possible that the fittings are not the same size for both.

clark
07-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I think the hoses are too short causing stress on mine and causing them to pop off. If the fittings and hole in the bags are different size, that is an entirely differently problem.

It if were me and the dealer can't or won't help you, I would call Brian Raymond or Rick Tinker.

Good Luck!

mobiusLSV05
07-22-2005, 10:08 PM
In reference to the comment about 2 different types of fittings, I think youre right. My bags dont have any threads on them neither do the hose ends. The way mine work is the hose end inserts into the bag, and there is a snap clamp that adds pressure to the fitting. Once pressure is applied, they snap into place, and I havent had a problem at all. Next time Im in the boat, Ill look at the manufacturer of the fittings.

OnTheH20
07-25-2005, 05:42 PM
Here are the fittings used in my boat for the ballast system; fat sac and intake.

OnTheH20
07-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Male side of fat sac attachment...

ClintM
08-01-2005, 04:51 PM
I am having the same problem with the center bag and the portside bag. My dealer completely replaced the hose and the portside bag and I told them the same thing everyone else is saying the hoses are to short, so they made sure the hoses were long enough.

None of this worked we went out this weekend and the same thing happened all day. This has been a problem all summer. My dealer said try some teflon tape and see if that works. The fit is defintely not tight enough. I can pull them out with my hands. I have left two messages with Skiers Choice looking for a remedy. Skiers choice needs to address this problem immediately this problem is obviously not a single situation. It is obvious by the post that the tape isn't working and making the hoses longer isn't working.

Is anyone having problems with the wakeboard rakes we have 40 hours on the boat and can't even use them anymore cause the rubber is all the way to the metal. When we have a full boat I don't feel like damaging 2500.00 dollars worth of boards, so we don't even use them anymore. Still waiting from my dealer on that one also.

ClintM
08-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Just got off the phone with Moomba and my dealer. Moomba is aware of the problem with the bags and the issue was addressed with the vendor this Spring. Per Les at Moomba there is no fix but your dealer has to order the new bags and and fittings. The old fitting screwed into the bag, the new bag has the threads on the outside and the male fitting screws over the threads not down into the bag. I contacted my dealer and made him aware of this and he said he would follow up and order the new bags and fittings.

Moomba is also aware of the problem with the racks and said my dealer can order a rubber replacement for the racks.

This all took 30 minutes and I have been on my dealer for two months with these issues. HUH!!!

Clint

chpprpilot
08-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Fittings popped off AGAIN all weekend. They did it whether full or not...I took photos of the fittings so that my local dealer can send them in to the factory.
At this point I've stopped using the ballast system. I bought plugs for all of my bags and I fill them MANUALLY. It's a total pain in the ass but at least I have a known product in my wake that I can count on. Up until now it's been so unreliable that my boarding started to take a hit because I never knew what kind of wake I would get, or whether I needed to shift people around the boat or check the bags...again.
Is there such a thing as a lemon law for boats?? I've had several problems from day one.

OnTheH20
08-02-2005, 08:54 AM
Can you post the pics you took of the fittings that continue to pop off?