PDA

View Full Version : Trailering question

rsinger
08-06-2012, 05:53 PM
I've got a single axle trailer and was wondering if anyones boat rubs up against the fender siding while towing the boat. I just replaced the carpet on one fender and it looks like it's already worn through. I'm thinking that the fender might be too close to the boat. The other side is fine. I don't know if these carpet covered fenders are suppose to play a role in securing the boat while traveling. I'm suspecting not.

That sucker really rocks in the bunks, even with the back straps holding the boat in place. I never noticed until I started paying a little attention to what's going on back there.

mnpracing
08-06-2012, 06:02 PM
I can see the boat moving a bit, but not enough to rub the inside of the fenders. Same thing when I had the '06 on a single axle. I would check the trailer head to toe for any cracks in the frame, and check the bunk lag screws to make sure everything is solid. If it's just one side and not the other, I would suspect the bunks have shifted (bending of the bunk supports) or maybe the fender got tweaked somehow and is pushing in more than it should.

kaneboats
08-06-2012, 06:09 PM
I'm going to bet if your trailer is a 2003 and you haven't changed your bunk boards yet then it's time.

rsinger
08-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I'm going to bet if your trailer is a 2003 and you haven't changed your bunk boards yet then it's time.

What are you, clairvoyant (or you assumed the trailer was the same year as the boat in my sig)? Bang on, and that is a project down the pipe. I guess it's going to get bumped up there either before or after checking/re-packing/replacing the bearings and seals.

What's the issue the bunks starting to rot??? I guess it would make sense. The woods starting to get water logged and soft, allowing the boat to rock more than it should.

Next question, any one have a parts list on what is needed to replace the bunks?? I've already got the carpet. I was going to replace the carpet while checking the bunks. Looks like they've already been checked via the internet.

I may need to find some more carpet locally.

NCSUmoomba
08-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I have a single axle for my 2001 Outback DD. I have never had the boat rub the fender. I have loaded the boat and it been really close to one side, but I drop it back down in the water and try to get it centered on the trailer. My boat sits rock solid in the bunks, and they are the originals.

deerfield
08-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I have never had the boat rub the fender. I have loaded the boat and it been really close to one side, but I drop it back down in the water and try to get it centered on the trailer. My boat sits rock solid in the bunks, and they are the originals.

Same here (on an '07 Outback).

Dubwake21
08-06-2012, 09:46 PM
Not sure of your hull design, but I check my 08 obv to make sure that the bunks are snug against that 90 degree angle that is on each side slightly fender side of center. Just a quick reference for squareness of your loading if you needed one.

murraymoomba
08-07-2012, 06:42 PM
You could be rubbing the fender while loading

rsinger
08-07-2012, 09:12 PM
You could be rubbing the fender while loading

Nope. Just checked before and after 1 1/2 hour trip and definitely touching the carpet on the fender. I'm going to move the fender out about 1/8 or 1/4 inch, until I've got some time to get at the bunks. I'll have to verify the tire will still clear the inside of the fender after moving it.

Won't be a short job. Took a look under there and the brackets are rusted some, so I'll want to sand blast and repaint before putting on the new bunks. On a good note the screws holding the bunks are all tight.