PDA

View Full Version : Tantrum Tow Ropes Wireless Speed Control

dusty2221
08-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Over the weekend I installed the Tantrum Tow Rope Wireless Speed Control unit on the boat in preparation for people to demo it at the Texas Jam this coming weekend. Saturday was the first time we used it and everything about it from installation to use-ability couldn't be any simpler!

For install, it's as simple as unplugging the display of your Perfect Pass from the "brain" and plugging the Tantrum system in between. All it needs after that is a + and - to be tied from the new unit into the bus bar under the driver helm. Programming it takes literally 5 seconds as it just a 5 second button push to sync it all together.

Once we hit the water, of course, the wind changed in our cove and made it to where one direction you went right with the wind, and everything was perfect...speed adjustment not needed. We got the end and made the turn around to head straight back down the cove, dead into the wind. Normally Ash has to bump the speed up .2 or .4 give or take and then remember when we turn again to bump it back down. Enter Tantrum Wireless!! We made the turn and I had the ability to instantly speed up as soon as we finished the turn so the boat speed up to exactly where I needed it without Ash having to do a thing! Once we turned again to be with the wind, I already had it adjusted to run back down the cove. It really made a huge difference in having the ability to adjust myself and not have to depend on the driver to spot my thump up or down wanting a speed change. This will without a doubt become a "regular" piece of gear on our boat that will become priceless. The remote is extremely easy to use and currently comes with an armband to wear while riding. My only issue was the size of the remote and wearing it. It wasn't an issue and I really didn't notice it at all once riding, but some type of clip on the handle or rope integration so it's always there and completely out of the way (Version 2 possibly!) would make this thing perfect.

Anybody coming to the Texas Jam is more than welcome to go for a pull to demo how it works. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with how easy it is and how nice it is to have the ability to fine tune the wake without asking!!

http://www.tantrumtowropes.com/ - Seth was great to work with!

motosno963
08-06-2012, 04:06 PM
thats cool cause on my outback i always have to yell at someone and throw them the thumbs up to go faster or thumbs down to go slower..it gets annoying after a while

dusty2221
08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
This solves the problem!

wolfeman131
08-06-2012, 04:10 PM
Did you try it surfing?

dusty2221
08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
We ran out of time...we let Kira wakeboard first and she finally got off of it in time for me to take a pass or two before leaving!! No complaints about that!!

wolfeman131
08-06-2012, 04:14 PM
AGREED! That lil one looked great!

We'll give it a go this weekend.

zabooda
08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Great concept until something happens and then try to figure out who had control of the throttle. Is the person controlling the throttle old enough to operate the boat? have a boating license? been drinking? What security system is built in to prevent someone from overriding the operators control. What failsafe method is being used to shutdown in the event of lost signal or malfunction.

I prefer having one competent driver responsible for the control of the boat.

wolfeman131
08-06-2012, 05:15 PM
Do you also have to get up out of your recliner to change the channel on the TV?

Just joking. Those are good questions. Maybe Dusty can let us know if any of this is covered in the manual?

dusty2221
08-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Here is my take on those questions:

Is the person controlling the throttle old enough to operate the boat?
Have a boating license?
Been drinking?
I think this reply works for the above 3. That's solely up to you, the responsible boat owner. Would I hand my new to wakeboarding 6 year old the remote and say "have at it"? No. Would I hand it to my pro wakeboard buddy that is too drunk to even strap in, no, he would be in a lifevest sitting down. Would I hand it to a first timer, again, I think you get the idea.

What security system is built in to prevent someone from overriding the operators control?
Don't let the rider put the armband on or take the remote with them. Keep it put away

What failsafe method is being used to shutdown in the event of lost signal or malfunction?
The boat driver maintains primary control. It functions no different than perfect pass in regard to primary control. If the driver wants to bring the boat to a complete hault while you are pressing speed up, the throttle takes charge. If a rider is being careless (which is not what this product is intended for) the boat driver has the ability to shut it down. Tantrum does not bypass primary driver throttle control. Not to mention, it functions in line as a part of Perfect Pass, meaning each button press on the remote increases or decreases speed by .2 mph at a time. IMO, that's plenty slow enough to notice and take charge if someone is trying to "override" the driver in an unsafe manner

Great questions, and I hope my feedback helps a bit. I think it is simple to tell that this system is targeted at the "boat owners" or "boat regulars" that are all competent enough at the end of the rope to know why they are even being given the ability to adjust speed.

KSmith
08-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Interesting. Could you post some better pictures of the conectors? They don't look anything like Deutsch connector that is my new Digital Pro module is using.

dusty2221
08-06-2012, 05:52 PM
I failed to snap any pics of the unit before installing. Basically the unit is a control box with two pig tails coming off. One is the red/black for power. The other is a male/female split that allows you to unplug the male perfect pass display from the brain of your PP and into the female on the Y of the Tantrum, you then plug the Tantrums male plug in place where you removed the other plug. Done. It's that simple. The Tantrum unit I used, in the wiring harness/plugs, all matched the exact wire color of the PP wire for wire. The connections seems high quality and all "click" when in place.

Like you said Ksmith, the connector online is a bit different than what mine actually had. Hopefully that helps.

zabooda
08-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for the reply. There have been many times I would have liked it for my skiing. One problem I have is I ski around 35-36 mph and I can slow to 32 through rough water but some drivers slow down for the comfort of the occupants in the boat where I am getting monsooned while going through the waves blind. With this device, I can switch the comfort levels around.

wolfeman131
08-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Great concept until something happens and then try to figure out who had control of the throttle. Is the person controlling the throttle old enough to operate the boat? have a boating license? been drinking? What security system is built in to prevent someone from overriding the operators control. What failsafe method is being used to shutdown in the event of lost signal or malfunction.

I prefer having one competent driver responsible for the control of the boat.

Zabooda - sorry for my original, smart arse reply. As I put in another thread, I'm kinda in a bad mood with the girls heading back to school today.

So, I did think your questions were valid and I zipped an email off to the manufacturer. Below is some commentary provided.

safety has been the biggest concern since the beginning but it is well covered. A few features:

You can not hold down the "faster" button to increase speed. One click increases speed 1/10 mph and then you have to release and click again. The biggest compliant is that speed change it to slow but this eliminates the safety issues. You can hold the "slower" button to slow down fast.

This system does not communicate with any CanBus systems or any other communications. It is only making the faster and slower buttons wireless. If the driver pulls back the throttle then it is disengaged. As Dusty posted, it uses safety features already in place by the cruise.

A lost signal would not cause any unsafe function, it would only prevent any speed change. These units specifically program each control with each receiver so it can not pick up any other signals or any other control.

Hope this helps! I expect the safety concerns but when people get a chance to use it they will see it really is not a "speed control" but an ability to fine tune speed.

They also sent some pics of the clips that would come on the modules that linnk up to the Moomba Digital Cruise Pro

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/pro2.jpg

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/Pro1.jpg

dusty2221
08-07-2012, 09:37 AM
There ya go! That pigtail plugs right into the PP module.

Zabooda- It sounds like this unit would solve the problem while you are skiing! I highly recommend it!