PDA

View Full Version : Waterskiing behind Mobius XLV?

scottg
08-05-2012, 11:59 PM
We recently moved up from an Outback to a 2011 Mobius XLV, and we love the extra room, bigger wake for wakeboarding, how it handles in the rough, general upgrades over the old boat, etc. I knew going into this that this boat would not be good for waterskiing, but with family and friends, combined with the heavy traffic that our lake gets, the direct drive was just way too small and way too rough in the rough water.

That said, as a big fan of waterskiing (vs wakeboarding / surfing), I would enjoy any guidance that others might have for the best way to set the XLV up for skiing. Besides cranking the trimtab all the way down, are there other tricks? Has anyone tested different line lengths? I'm an open water skier, so tackling bouys is not an issue.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, feedback, etc. that others might have.

jmvotto
08-06-2012, 06:49 AM
Find someone with an outback.lol We have use 100ft ropes to get back to a smaller wake from slalom skiing on larger boats like a 23

scottg
08-06-2012, 03:12 PM
Hey Joe - Love your suggestion, I'll see if the wife is ok if I go buy another boat. If I can avoid the daggers and knives, I'll let you know how that conversation goes.

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion on the rope, I think I'll give that a shot. While I can get around pretty good on a wakeboard, I really enjoy the skiing alot more, so I can come up with something that gets me out of the bigger wake, that should help!

Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

zabooda
08-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Remove as much weight as possible including all people except the driver and observer, move the observer to the front and go fast.

jmvotto
08-06-2012, 09:11 PM
Remove as much weight as possible including all people except the driver and observer, move the observer to the front and go fast.

Scottg, your welcome. Z is right on above try and make it light, wake plate all the way down, and yep get that puppy moving.

BensonWdby
08-07-2012, 12:36 AM
If your lake is busy there must be some DD ski boats out there. Get to know a couple of them and suggst a trade - ski time for you - wakeboard time for them. You can meet a lot of good people that way. Just motor over to them when they are not actively putting people in/out of the boat and introduce yourselve.

scottg
08-07-2012, 06:12 PM
Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate you taking the time to provide your thoughts. I was skiing at 30 mph (w/ what I'm guessing at about 60' - 65' rope) with our Outback, and felt pretty comfortable with that set up. I did try bumping the speed up to 32 mph with the XLV and the rope at both ~65' and 75', and just could not get very comfortable with the wake (thus the posting here).

I think I'm going to try adding some additional rope this weekend and see if going farther back will help. I will also try bumping up the speed and just pray I don't crash! :)

Regardin the DD's, there are a number of them on our lake, and begging for some time behind their boat might be another option. Good idea...

Thanks again, this has been helpful.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-07-2012, 06:35 PM
You gotta be loving all that extra room thought huh?? :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

scottg
08-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Oh yeah, relative to our Outback, this boat is like a cruise ship! We've had ten people in this boat, and it didn't feel remotely crowded! Even changing boards, the folks behind the boat, even ropes, it's just so much easier to get around. Plus, this thing is a dream on the rough water relative to the Outback.

If I can come up with something that let's me ski with even a reasonable wake, I'll be loving life!