PDA

View Full Version : Gotta love it

rsinger
08-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I thought some might get a kick out of this one.

My tower "all around" light wasn't working. It was in rough shape to start with. All electrical tape, taped up. Turns out the shaft broke and that's how the previous owner repaired it. As it turns out a splice in the shaft broke. No big deal. I re spliced it and reassembled using a fresh roll of electrical tape (I'm already looking online for a replacement).

So yesterday I take my wife out on the lake to teach her to drive the boat. We're going through all the gauges and switches. When we get to the nav lights I turn them on and, again the tower light doesn't work. To add to the frustration I try to plug in my stern light and that housing breaks as well. On further inspection, that housing was previously broken as well.

Now I'm back in the camp site trying to figure out wtf the tower light doesn't work again. It turns out that there is ALSO a splice inside the base of the tower, which just broke. I guess bouncing around the lake yesterday broke it.

I guess on top of ordering a new tower light and stern light mount, I'll also be getting some wire. On the up side I've already got a pull string in the tower (only one of the 2 wires is broken, but the other one might not be far behind), and my newly installed perfect pass worked from the word go. I wonder how many more splices I'll find once I pull out the old wire.

Luckily I've been able to troubleshoot and repair every thing that's broken so far. I had a no start problem last year which ended up being a shorted fuel pump. I guess there's something to be said for buying brand new. Boy I wish I could afford it.

p.s. B.O.A.T. Didn't cost me that much so far, unless you take into account buying new stuff, vinyl, different speakers, perfect pass etc. But hearing all this talk about boats being money pits is starting to hold true for me.

mmandley
08-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I can understand your frustration but trust me, you would be working and spending a lot more on a car the same year as your boat and not even being having half the fun in it LOL.

Also look at it from this stand point, its extreamly frustrating buying a new boat and then things dont work, or break, or someone breaks something, or scratches it with a board or something.

Theres always the ying and yang of used ownership and new ownership, just remember we are all IN OWNERSHIP

rsinger
08-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Also look at it from this stand point, its extreamly frustrating buying a new boat and then things dont work, or break, or someone breaks something, or scratches it with a board or something.

Bought a few new cars along the years. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Just kind of funny that 2 or 3 things showed up at the same time.

To contradict my earlier post the person that I bought the boat from took immaculate care of it. We took it for a test ride before I took possession and he was wiping down the seats after we got in the boat, because our feet left a mark. The other day I found out why. On the white vinyl if wet dirt marks are left to dry, it seems like they almost soak into the vinyl. I'm doing the same thing now, cause it's a bugger cleaning in dried in dirt marks and it only takes a couple of seconds wiping it down the wet marks.

wolfeman131
08-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Have you put a UV treatment on the vinyl lately?

rsinger
08-04-2012, 02:14 AM
Have you put a UV treatment on the vinyl lately?

No. Just finished installing the rest of the new vinyl last week. That's next on the list of things to do once I get back home.

wolfeman131
08-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Give that 303 treatment a try. I think some of the guys swear by it and maybe it will help to keep the dirt from settling in.