PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on new Vinyl?

bkearney
08-03-2012, 03:50 PM
This year is probably the last year on my vinyl. Lots of cracks, and it just stays dirty all the times. What are folks suggestions on replacements:

A) Order from the factory via the local dealship.
B) Find a local auto-shop and have them do it.
C) Steal the seats from that other Moomba on the lake which looks like mine

My concern would be keeping costs down low, (and assume (A) would be the most expensive) while getting a good result (B seems worse for that). Oh, and staying out of Jail (so I nix C)

-- bk

ian ashton
08-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I had a wakeboard fly out of a rack (I forgot to bungee it) and hit one of my side panels, putting a good size gash in the vinyl. I asked the local Malibu dealer (I don't know why I didn't ask the local SC dealer, just worked out that way) who they use, and they ended up just sending it to their upholstery guy for me. Cost $70 and they were able to match the exact factory vinyl. I'd imagine a replacement from the factory would have been significantly more expensive, judging by what newty paid for carpet, lol.

So, my recommendation is to ask a dealer who they use, and then go there. I'd guess it will be a few grand to do the whole boat, but I know that when the time comes for me its an expense I'll want to incur - I can't stand messy vinyl.

kaneboats
08-03-2012, 04:14 PM
You are best off finding a shop that does marine vinyl work. Get a good quality vinyl. You can save money by taking it all apart yourself and just taking the cushions, etc. to the shop. It's also cheaper in the winter. I removed all my vinyl from my Outback and took the covers in for the guy to use as templates. He made the pieces and I did the reinstall myself. I also purchased the material myself from Great Lakes Skipper. Lots of ways to save money on this if you want to do some of the sweat work.

parrothd
08-03-2012, 04:17 PM
I had a wakeboard fly out of a rack (I forgot to bungee it) and hit one of my side panels, putting a good size gash in the vinyl. I asked the local Malibu dealer (I don't know why I didn't ask the local SC dealer, just worked out that way) who they use, and they ended up just sending it to their upholstery guy for me. Cost $70 and they were able to match the exact factory vinyl. I'd imagine a replacement from the factory would have been significantly more expensive, judging by what newty paid for carpet, lol.

So, my recommendation is to ask a dealer who they use, and then go there. I'd guess it will be a few grand to do the whole boat, but I know that when the time comes for me its an expense I'll want to incur - I can't stand messy vinyl.

I use my local upholstery shop, easier and cheaper, plus you can change the colors/patterns.. :)

beat taco
08-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Perfect Fit

WaterBullDawg1980
08-03-2012, 11:21 PM
You are best off finding a shop that does marine vinyl work. Get a good quality vinyl. You can save money by taking it all apart yourself and just taking the cushions, etc. to the shop. It's also cheaper in the winter. I removed all my vinyl from my Outback and took the covers in for the guy to use as templates. He made the pieces and I did the reinstall myself. I also purchased the material myself from Great Lakes Skipper. Lots of ways to save money on this if you want to do some of the sweat work.

Did you staple it back yourself? If so, what did you use to staple? I assume stainless staples, but what kind? (size?) Anything to watch out for when doing this? I have a tear that is coming apart at the seam and would like to repair it for resell. Not one rip in the actual vinyl but just that seem. My thoughts are to take apart all the staples and sew it back with marine thread which I already have purchased since it seems like it needs to be sewn from the back. May be way off here, but I know ZERO about sewing. So when I put it back on, I was concerned about the equipment to do this with. Would a regular commercial staple gun work?

parrothd
08-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Did you staple it back yourself? If so, what did you use to staple? I assume stainless staples, but what kind? (size?) Anything to watch out for when doing this? I have a tear that is coming apart at the seam and would like to repair it for resell. Not one rip in the actual vinyl but just that seem. My thoughts are to take apart all the staples and sew it back with marine thread which I already have purchased since it seems like it needs to be sewn from the back. May be way off here, but I know ZERO about sewing. So when I put it back on, I was concerned about the equipment to do this with. Would a regular commercial staple gun work?

Monel staples, any other kind will rust, menards/best buy sell them, use whatever size you pull out...An air stapler is best(harbor freight), but you can get buy with a cheap electric one..

kaneboats
08-05-2012, 11:21 PM
For just one cover you can use a hand stapler. Air staples are great but it's very hard to find stainless or monel for an air stapler gun.

As for the sewing, take the cover off and take it to an upholstery shop and have them sew it. Don't do it yourself or it will look like you did.