PDA

View Full Version : The Smith's Supra Weight Loss Challenge

KSmith
08-03-2012, 07:48 AM
As recommended by Drew this will be my thread to track the progress of the Smith's Supra Weight Loss Challenge I was given by my wonderful wife. The challenge is that I lose at least 80 pounds by August 1, 2013. If I meet or exceed the weight loss challenge target within the allotted time I have been given authorization by my lovely wife to begin negotiations to sell or trade in my 2010 Moomba Outback V and purchase a New Supra 21V or 22V. We have not yet decided between the Launch and the Sunsport as yet. I am leaning towards the Launch but the wife seems to like the walk thru bow on the Sunsport better than the playpen.

The wife made this deal while we were out boating on Monday July 30th, 2012. Since the offer was made I have lost 11.5 pounds, so far so good.

For the case of full disclosure my beginning weight was 310 so with the 11.5 loss I am currently at 298.5 as of 5:30 AM this morning, so that leaves at least 68.5 pounds yet to lose over the next year.

As a side note my wife has allowed the negotiations to start earlier, in July 2013, if I have met the minimum weight loss goal by then.

I guess I’ll update this thread each month around the 1st...

KSmith
08-03-2012, 07:52 AM
So… anyone looking to buy a super nice 2010 Moomba Outback V in the next year??? :-)

Indmar 325 Assault
GIII Ballast with Jabsco Reversable Impeller Pumps
OEM Bimini
Monster Tower Cargo Bimini with custom mounting clamp system
2 Swivel Roswell board racks, one has upgrade Surf/Wakeboard rack & tines, second has wakeboard/wakeboard tines, also includes wakeboard/wakeboard tines from first rack
2 sets of static wakeboard rack tines on lower tower crossbars
Upgraded Digital Pro Cruise, also includes original Moomba Cruise Module.
New Clarion CMS1 Stereo
Relocated ballast pumps to Starboard locker to allow more room for ballast in the port locker for wakesurfing in regular stance.

moombadaze
08-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Keep this updated once a week as your official weigh in day---nothing like seeing your loss in print to keep the motivation going

chawk610
08-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Way to go!!! Keep up the good work... I need to lose 5 or 30 pounds myself!

wolfeman131
08-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Kraig, this is great and you are off to a fantastic start! Keep us posted on your progress; we're here to support you.

And, help sell ya a new Supra!

Maybe some you should work in some other incentives like if you lose 5 more than your goal you get to add X option, 10 more than your goal another option, etc. At 100, you get a fully loaded, every option mac-Daddy 22V.

wolfeman131
08-03-2012, 09:09 AM
Way to go!!! Keep up the good work... I need to lose 5 or 30 pounds myself!

you should join Kapt'n Kraig in the challenge!

sandm
08-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Way to go kraig... 11 to start makes it sound so easy but you have a tough road ahead.
Agree with small goals along the way. Need to stay motivated. As you probably know, the hardest part will be keeping it off, but a year should develop some great habits.

I agree with chawk. I need ti drop 20. Its all barley/hops weight. :)

WaterBullDawg1980
08-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Atta boy! I think most of us could stand do lose a few lbs to get back down to our "playing weight" if you will. :)

What is your plan thus far to cut down the weight? Do you have a diet plan mapped out? What bad habits caused the weight gain? Is tour wife going to hold you accountable for slacking?? If not find someone who will!

All good things to know for obvious reasons. I'll be following your progress so good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

KSmith
08-03-2012, 11:44 AM
What is your plan thus far to cut down the weight? Do you have a diet plan mapped out? What bad habits caused the weight gain? Is tour wife going to hold you accountable for slacking?? If not find someone who will!

Diet and more frequent exercise. Not a diet plan per se but more drinking more water and less milk or soda. Less fast food, more veggies for snacks, sugar free popsicles are good ;-). Watch fat content (read nutrition info), smaller portions. We bought some low cal cook books and will be putting them to use. Basically just common sense stuff, less calories in, more calories out...

Bad habits, well, nothing specific but not much exercise. I put on beer weight before I stopped drinking beer about 6 years ago. 5 years ago my Sister died and then 4 years ago my Dad died and I was pretty depressed for quite some time after each of those... About 3 years ago I got wicked sick for about 8 months that I really couldn't do anything as I couldn't breath... around this time I stopped smoking, which lead to more weight gain, snacking I guess and less trips to the parking lot to smoke, so less stairs... so no real exercise to speak of during that time... then there has been the mega stress of my last job for the last 3-4 years but that has been addressed with my new job...

It is amazing what stress can do to a person, mentally and physically. I really didn't understand the amount of stress I was under until it was gone. Wow, whole new world, actually care about life and all again.

So new job is in place, working on diet and exercise which will always be a work in progress, and now the added incentive of a Supra. Not much left to use as an excuse...

If I had to pick one word that is the make or break word it is attitude. And right now it's better than it has been since I moved to GA 15 years ago.

spyder
08-03-2012, 11:54 AM
i lost 35lbs from March - Early June. I was losing 10 lbs a month.. it was pretty easy.. (dieting only, no real exercise since I don't have a gym membership anywhere) right now I am working on sustaining the weight since it's hard to lose weight in the middle of summer (Beers / BBQ / etc.), once fall hits, it's back to weight loss.. I still want to lose about 10-15 lbs.

I started at 240-245, currently at 205.

if you need any tips for what worked for me, let me know.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-03-2012, 12:12 PM
That's awesome Kraig. You are dead on with that. You either can decide to be happy or decide to be sad. And by that I mean you can either make choices that make a negative impact on your life or a positive one. Good for you man. Words of advice is to put a lot of effort into your diet. That is the most important part to make sure you are disciplined. Eat a lot of high fiber greens if you can as they keep you full. Also I have been eating Greek yogurt for the first time and its good for an excellent source of protein and you don't gave to prepare it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

kaneboats
08-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Post 'em up. I've recently dusted a lot of my empty carb stuff in favor of green and yellow veggies. Somehow you don't drink as much beer with a salad as you do with a bag of pretzels either. It's starting to help a little.

loudsubz
08-03-2012, 01:05 PM
I need to eat better. I usually eat just as much junk as I do veggies and fruits but for work I am on my feet all day and I am always moving around so I think thats how I sustain my current weight, but would like to bulk up a bit more and tone.

P90X is great if you can keep yourself motivated. I only made it through 75 days worth than I gave up.

KSmith
08-03-2012, 01:05 PM
i lost 35lbs from March - Early June. I was losing 10 lbs a month.. it was pretty easy.. (dieting only, no real exercise since I don't have a gym membership anywhere) right now I am working on sustaining the weight since it's hard to lose weight in the middle of summer (Beers / BBQ / etc.), once fall hits, it's back to weight loss.. I still want to lose about 10-15 lbs.

I started at 240-245, currently at 205.

if you need any tips for what worked for me, let me know.

Awesome! So it can be done muwahahaha ;-) Yeah I'd like to hear any and all tips you have!!

spyder
08-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Awesome! So it can be done muwahahaha ;-) Yeah I'd like to hear any and all tips you have!!

I went from eating anything and everything whenever I wanted to controlling meals, but I found biggest change for me was breakfast and lunch.. I would eat sometimes 600-800 calories JUST FOR BREAKFAST.. and you think it isnt that bad.. 2 slices of toast with peanut butter, yogurt, orange juice... it all adds up..

here is a typical day for me...

no work outs other than the occasional 20-30 minute walk around my neighborhood.

diet:

Breakfast (blended): around 250-300 calories

1 scoop protein powder
ice
frozen fruit (either strawberries or a mix of berries)
35 calorie yogurt.
0 calorie juice
1/4 - 1/2 banana (just introduced this)

Lunch (1 of the following):

-Turkey Bacon Club from Tim Hortons (Figure that's about 350-400 calories)
-Chicken Caesar Pita from Pita Pit (They use low fat caesar dressing and I figure the pita is about 650 calories)

Dinner

Chicken with spices on the BBQ with BBQ sauce
grilled red peppers on BBQ with some olive oil and seasonings
pineapple grilled (sometimes)
corn on the cob (sometimes)
potatoes oven roasted with olive oil and seasoning (sometimes)

it's working for me...

oh and track your meals and weight progress on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ it helps make it easy so you can visual your calorie intake daily.

at first you may still feel hungry, but as you eat less, your body expects less... if i go on a bender on a weekend and try to go back to the diet.. i get real hungry between meals..

attached snippet from the site i mentioned above with my progress.. you can see i've been sustaining it for the last month and a bit..

Grady
08-03-2012, 03:02 PM
Kraig, congrats and good luck with your new goal. My wife last year lost 50lbs in 6 months by dieting alone. Spyder did pretty much the same thing we did. Some of my suggestions would be involve the whole family in eating healthly. The initial motovation will soon wear off and you'll need some extra support. Also, do something to keep yourself accountable and to look at your progress. We had weekly weigh-ins to track progress and had something to look forward to as the days passed. As far as diet, cut out sodas. We would drink one a day with supper, that being a zero calorie drink (coke zero). We cut out all fried foods and only wheat bread. The only thing we did different from spyder's example was between the three major meals we had snacks. It was a protein bar, cup of yogurt or something like that. The reason is once your body digest breakfast it'll go into a "starvation mode" meaning you metabolism will slow down until the next meal. Eating a snack between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner will keep your metabolism sped up. (I hope that last part made sense) The website spyder gave was the same one we used, it is very handy and update it everytime you eat. They have moblie apps so you don't forget while away from the comp.

Keep us updated on your progress and any help you may need.

spyder
08-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Kraig, congrats and good luck with your new goal. My wife last year lost 50lbs in 6 months by dieting alone. Spyder did pretty much the same thing we did. Some of my suggestions would be involve the whole family in eating healthly. The initial motovation will soon wear off and you'll need some extra support. Also, do something to keep yourself accountable and to look at your progress. We had weekly weigh-ins to track progress and had something to look forward to as the days passed. As far as diet, cut out sodas. We would drink one a day with supper, that being a zero calorie drink (coke zero). We cut out all fried foods and only wheat bread. The only thing we did different from spyder's example was between the three major meals we had snacks. It was a protein bar, cup of yogurt or something like that. The reason is once your body digest breakfast it'll go into a "starvation mode" meaning you metabolism will slow down until the next meal. Eating a snack between breakfast/lunch and lunch/dinner will keep your metabolism sped up. (I hope that last part made sense) The website spyder gave was the same one we used, it is very handy and update it everytime you eat. They have moblie apps so you don't forget while away from the comp.

Keep us updated on your progress and any help you may need.

i drink a lot of tea throughout the day, perhaps that helped with not needing so many treats as well. Also, if you have the motivation to go to the gym on top of this, you'll need a higher level of calorie intake daily.. but that site will help you figure out how many calories you should have in a day.. I know I could of met my goal in 3 months if I was exercising as well as dieting, but I'm not really in a huge rush.

WaterBullDawg1980
08-04-2012, 12:08 AM
I went from eating anything and everything whenever I wanted to controlling meals, but I found biggest change for me was breakfast and lunch.. I would eat sometimes 600-800 calories JUST FOR BREAKFAST.. and you think it isnt that bad.. 2 slices of toast with peanut butter, yogurt, orange juice... it all adds up..

here is a typical day for me...

no work outs other than the occasional 20-30 minute walk around my neighborhood.

diet:

Breakfast (blended): around 250-300 calories

1 scoop protein powder
ice
frozen fruit (either strawberries or a mix of berries)
35 calorie yogurt.
0 calorie juice
1/4 - 1/2 banana (just introduced this)

Lunch (1 of the following):

-Turkey Bacon Club from Tim Hortons (Figure that's about 350-400 calories)
-Chicken Caesar Pita from Pita Pit (They use low fat caesar dressing and I figure the pita is about 650 calories)

Dinner

Chicken with spices on the BBQ with BBQ sauce
grilled red peppers on BBQ with some olive oil and seasonings
pineapple grilled (sometimes)
corn on the cob (sometimes)
potatoes oven roasted with olive oil and seasoning (sometimes)

it's working for me...

oh and track your meals and weight progress on http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ it helps make it easy so you can visual your calorie intake daily.

at first you may still feel hungry, but as you eat less, your body expects less... if i go on a bender on a weekend and try to go back to the diet.. i get real hungry between meals..

attached snippet from the site i mentioned above with my progress.. you can see i've been sustaining it for the last month and a bit..

That diet is fine, but Kraig once you get down to within 50 lbs of your target weight I would add some more calories to something like this. Also I would suggest some more greens for fiber. You will definitely hit some plateaus. Be prepared for it. That is when a lot of folks quit. When that happens switch up everything you are doing and give you body a shock. Normally taking in 2,000 cals, take in 4k for a few days then go to 1k then back up to around 2,500. You body is smart and will adjust to what you throw at it. Just make sure the calories you take in are not empty crappy cals. Bc then you will be hungry and pissed. Again, lots of greens and fiber if you dont mind hitting the head often.

wolfeman131
08-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Well, follow the above & we'll all know what you're up to while checking the Moomba board.

freshturk
08-06-2012, 04:19 PM
Awesome deal for you and your wife, she probably really wants the new boat and is just tricking you into losing weight ven though she would probably let you buy anyways. Damn women and their games.

So Jan 1, 2012 I was 6'3 205lb probably around 19% body fat and realized that i wasnt looking so pretty anymore and my age was catching up to me so i decided to do something about it. Started eating better and began Insanity every other day. My diet consisted of a very healthy low calorie breakfast and lunch with lots of protein and not worrying as much about dinner for I have had workout fads before and knew if i went into it too hard and too fast that i would burn out. I would try to eat a healthy dinner but if i didnt I wouldnt beat myself up over it. After 2 mos of this i increased my insanity workouts to 6days/wk. All the while i tracked my progress via pics but never weighed myself nor did i Have a weight loss goal in mind. Simply wanted to lose weight, tone up, and most of all get healthy. Fast fordward 6 mos and I had lost 25lbs(way more than i expected to lose or wanted to for that matter.) Now i am staying at 180lbs, down to 9% body fat and am still doing insanity 5days/week with a transition to 3days insanity 3 days weight training in an attempt to gain size. I also will now go for periods of 3-4wks and not consume any alcohol if i want to rip up a little extra(for examlpe i just did this for my lake norman vacation).

I now feel like a pos if i dont workout or have a stretch of bad eating but honestly i dont mind working out anymore which couldnt have been farther from reality 6 mos ago. Its now just a part of my daily routine and i never feel crunched for time to get it in. Any questions shoot me a PM. Good luck to you

motosno963
08-06-2012, 04:30 PM
kraig best of luck sir..im a 25 yr old kid who is 6'2" and weighs 180lbs wet, what i like to do is be outside and do more of a "fun workout" I.E. go for bike rides, run/ walk up into town( about 2 miles one way) and ride dirtbikes, ohh and do laps in the pool..or since i know you have a boat, jump into the lake and swim around..sitting in the gym is ok but it gets intimidating sometimes...just think of things outdoors that you like to do and try to make a workout out of it and your burn pounds without even knowing it

wolfeman131
08-06-2012, 05:35 PM
i never feel crunched for time to get it in.

I want to know the secret of this.

freshturk
08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
I want to know the secret of this.

The secret is that once you do it enough it becomes part of your daily routine and it just becomes something you have to do like going to work.. Well maybe there is a secret....i don't have kids, which tends to afford me a few more hours a day than all you dads.

wolfeman131
08-07-2012, 11:20 PM
i don't have kids

Ahhhhhhhhh, haaaaaaa!

Not really a good way for me to get around this one.

kaneboats
08-08-2012, 08:44 AM
There's my problem. Anybody want a kid or two or three or four or five? Nah, my problem is I'm really lazy and just don't make stuff for me a priority except the boat.

KSmith
08-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Saturday Morning Weight In: 296.
3 more gone, 66 to go

kaneboats
08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
You've inspired me. As of this morning I'm down 9.5 lbs. 40 to go but no new boat in sight for me.

jester
08-13-2012, 02:25 PM
kraig, Keep us updated. You will not have one weight loss coach but a group of us that want to help you meet your goal.

One thing that will also help is just get up and walk. Now a days with computers you just sit and type. Take a walk around the parking lot at work during lunch, break, after work before you go home. Take the stairs when you can. You do not have to get out and run just walk. You will be amazed on what it can do for you.

KSmith
08-13-2012, 03:10 PM
You've inspired me. As of this morning I'm down 9.5 lbs. 40 to go but no new boat in sight for me.

Way cool!! I better try harder, must *huff puff puff* run *huff puff puff* faster *huff puff puff* LOL you'll hit your target way before I do if I don't try harder LOL

kaneboats
08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
It gets a lot harder for me after the first few lbs. (munching on lunch consisting of chicken breast and snap peas).

KSmith
08-13-2012, 03:30 PM
Now a days with computers you just sit and type. Take a walk around the parking lot at work during lunch, break, after work before you go home. Take the stairs when you can. You do not have to get out and run just walk. You will be amazed on what it can do for you.

True dat. I am a computer geek so I do sit alot. I used to get more exercise at work when I smoked LOL going out to smoke every couple hours and of course banished to the parking deck. The wife and I are trying to do more after work. We are going out on the boat tonight and swim. I may try a set of surfing. On nights we don't take the boat out we have been trying to go for a hike on some of the trails near us. My back and knee (old MCL/ACL/DislocatedPatella injury) have been a problem which is why more swimming and such. As I lose weight I'll get back into more hiking and biking. We have some really nice biking trails near us and the Silver Comet isn't too far to an access point. My knee has slowed me down on the stairs, but again once I lose enough that my knee doesn't bother me as much I usually do take the stairs at work, at least when leaving which is 6 flights.

I'm not a stranger to exercise. I played football in school, an enrollment in the Army, used to hike, bike, slalom ski(before wakeboards), snow ski, dirt bikes, swim, you name it. Spent as much time hiking around Yellowstone as I could (we lived only 90 miles away from the west entrance). That was back in Idaho before I moved to Georgia and had the life sucked out of me by the heat, humidity, and relentless work...

Things have changed... In the immortal words of Russel Casse "Hello, boys! I'm back!" -- (Randy Quaid in Independence Day 1996)

wolfeman131
08-24-2012, 10:19 AM
OK, time for the peer pressure/support! How's it going, Kapt'n?

kaneboats
08-24-2012, 11:08 AM
Yeah, let's hear it. I've stagnated at about -11 lbs. Gonna have to rev up the metabolism this weekend. Of course our church is having a big BBQ. I'll have to stick to the meat only and light beer.

TIP: I've started grilling 5 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breast every Sunday. On top of a salad it makes for great light dinners during the week when you are busy and would reach for crap because it is easy and you are tired.

wolfeman131
08-24-2012, 12:14 PM
TIP: I've started grilling 5 lbs. of boneless skinless chicken breast every Sunday. On top of a salad it makes for great light dinners during the week when you are busy and would reach for crap because it is easy and you are tired.

I've found this trick, too. Perfect for me during the work week as I always seem to have somthing that keeps me from a healthy lunch so I end up snacking then gorging at dinner. I think that puts my metabolism into that "starvation & store" mode somebody mentioned.

I also found at Target these great smoothie packs that I'm trying to use for snacks versus 'tater chips. :eek:
They are simple as the fruit & yogurt are all in a singel pack so you simply add juice and ice & blend. Liquor is optional.

kaneboats
08-24-2012, 02:38 PM
No its not.

chawk610
08-24-2012, 03:26 PM
I have been using the http://www.mapmyrun.com/ app for workouts and the http://www.everydayhealth.com/calorie-counter.aspx to track food... it has a barcode scanner on it to quickscan things. I am down 6lbs in 3 weeks... which I think is about right as far as loss.

AND, I have stopped drinking beer. Vodka/Perrier seems much less bloating.

kaneboats
08-24-2012, 04:08 PM
That's against my religion.

chawk610
08-24-2012, 05:02 PM
I hear ya... but have you ever tried one???

kaneboats
09-05-2012, 03:03 PM
Nope. I switched over the weekend to beer flavored water. It's called Bud Select 55. I'm down 15 lbs. as of today and still going strong. Trying to prove a theory that you can drink (watery) beer and lose weight.

kaneboats
09-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Haven't heard much from Kraig lately. Ahoy, Kaptain! How goes the new boat project?

BTW- I"m right where I was a few weeks ago. Started walking 30-40 min. about 4 days/week. We'll see if it helps.

chawk610
09-27-2012, 11:35 AM
It will for sure. I walk / jog 2-3 days a week. I am down 15 as of this morning. Still want 20 more off.

kaneboats
09-27-2012, 12:56 PM
I had no problem with the first 15. It's been 3 more weeks and I haven't lost another one yet. I'll stay with the walking for now. Might have to amp it up if it doesn't work. Enjoying my daily lunch salad now.