PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump - Not Working

kennedy
08-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I am not very mechanical - so here is my question - is there a fuse or breaker that runs the bilge pump - my light will kick on - I can try to turn it on - but the water will not pump out - Please Help - Thanks in advance for any replies!!

tgoody14
08-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Did you open the valve in the hull to allow the water to flow into the pump?
I am not trying to be funny or make a joke, because I too was wondering the same thing until I found my Rule Pump and saw the valve beside it... Turned it, and water went everywhere because I didn't have the hose on my fat sac completely connected haha

kennedy
08-01-2012, 08:11 PM
My Ballast system will fill and empty - no issues - the issue is with the bilge pump under the engine - I get water in the boat from the ballast system filling and emptying threw out the day - and last weekend I noticed the bilge light was on (like it should be automatically pumping) - but no water movement out of the boat

I really do not want to pull it into the dealership and pay them a c$note and have it be something easy!!

tgoody14
08-01-2012, 08:28 PM
My bad, totally read that wrong! Yea, there should be a fuse box for your bilge pump under the dash. Hopefully it's just a blown fuse...

98Roo
08-01-2012, 08:47 PM
Not sure how you boat is but mine has a breaker right next to the bilge switch. If your breaker is tripping, check the intake around your pump and the impeller to see if the pump is clogged. Pump could also have crapped out.

jester
08-01-2012, 09:07 PM
The breaker should be before the switch not inbetween the switch and the pump. If you are getting a light on the switch the breaker or fuse should be fine. If you have a LED light or a voltage reader there should be a disconnect in the wires right before the pump. I would undo the connection and see if you are getting power to that point. Simplest way is to follow the wires from the pump to the disconnect point. If you are getting power then your pump could had died. It happens and is not too bad of a replacement.

The pump sits on a bracket that has tabs that hold it in. Good old plastic tabs. Do not break them. The new pump should have the same bracket with it so you can see how to release it before trying to get the pump out. Pull old pump out put new pump in. Wire it up and good to go.

NOTE: This is for most boats and I am not 100% sure for your boat.

kennedy
08-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Thanks - I am heading out to the dock to check these things out - THANKS FOR ALL THE HELPFUL INFO!!!!

jester
08-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Let us know how things turn out.

kennedy
08-03-2012, 01:22 PM
There is a fuse on the back of the switch on the dash - all is good there - think the pump itself may be bad - good thing i have a dealer only 6 miles from my lake - gues will will see how their parts department has for parts - heading to see how they can help

kennedy
08-03-2012, 03:33 PM
NO PROBLEMS!!

Went to my local dealer - McLaughlin’s Marine in Detroit Lakes - and in 5 min had the boat fixed!!

Got a new Attwood 500gpm bilge pump and for $87 and change we are having fun again.

The cause of the problem is both maintance - and the fact I just loaded my boat with a major ballast up-grade that we have more water entering and exiting the boat compared to the factory G3 system the boat came with.

Thanks for all the replies!!

dusty2221
08-03-2012, 03:58 PM
Kennedy, in the future so you know Walmart sells the exact pump for under $20 and someone with zero mechanical skill can have it swapped a 5 minute period

kennedy
08-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Good to know!!