PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat repair

rsinger
07-31-2012, 08:43 AM
Just noticed a bunch of gouges in the hull where the boat rubs up against the fender well. Just on one side though. I had some minor scratching last year, and I replaced the carpet over the plastic of the fender well. Can't get pics until I come home.

Anyhow, has anyone attempted repairing the gel coat on their boats? I've seen a few threads,but it seems any type of extensive damage it was recommended to get a pro. My damage is on the lower hull, white portion of the boat that's typically below the water line.

I would be willing to tackle this repair but would like some feedback from someone that has done it themselves, so I have some idea of how bad it might be. Only problem is I've got to take the fender off, again, to get at the damaged area.

I just can't figure what on the fender well is scratching the hull. I managed to get my hand in between the boat and fender and can't find what might scratch/gouge this area.

p.s. I'm at the lake for a week and don't have a spotter until at least Friday. Aargh.

kaneboats
07-31-2012, 10:53 AM
I haven't done gelcoat repair myself. But, I have lifted the boat off one side at a time to work on trailer bunks. You can make a fake bunk with some 2"x6" that is covered or carpeted. Place it next to the bunk under the trailer, block it and lift it with a floor jack. You can lift one side of the boat up and work on the hull without removing the fender. Be careful, spread the weight out, go slowly and check for interference but you can raise it up a little to work on it. Disclaimer: not responsible for any damage you cause from this procedure. Good luck!

04OUTBACK
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
im gonna have to get some work done. FLAT boat ramp required boat to be backed in WAY far weeks ago.. trailer rolled off end of concrete.. so much so that the fender hung on concrete.. I had to get out of boat, go lift trailer so my bro could drive it out.. crushed fender into tire.. UGH thats $250
now, this weekend, when loading, there is a screw that holds the carpeted side of fender on that is sticking out 12" long deep scratch UUUUUUGH.. OUCH.

I am not going to attempt myself. i am going to take care of the fender part and get fixed late in year.

98Roo
07-31-2012, 02:17 PM
You'll have to grind/widen the scratches so the gel coat can get into the scratch and bond to the rest of the gel coat. White wouldn't be hard to match as that's the natural color for gel coat anyway. Watch some vids on youtube and see if it's something you'd want to tackle.

wolfeman131
07-31-2012, 03:43 PM
12" long deep scratch UUUUUUGH..

and you expect me to be seen riding in that?

04OUTBACK
07-31-2012, 06:13 PM
i'll put black electrical tape to cover..
You are right on. How inconsiderate of me to ignore you're Image..

wolfeman131
07-31-2012, 07:15 PM
Duct tape and I'm in!

patrick232
07-31-2012, 08:50 PM
Order the color match gel from spectra color or your dealer and take your time. Plenty of info on what to do. It's not that hard and very rewarding when you stand back and say I did that.

kaneboats
08-01-2012, 11:04 AM
Or you can get color match duct tape at Home Depot. I saw a rack yesterday with pink, neon green, red, blue and some other colors that only women know the name of. Still can't identify teal, mauve, chartreuse, eggplant, etc.

rsinger
08-01-2012, 03:33 PM
It's not that hard and very rewarding when you stand back and say I did that.

That's one of the reasons I wanted to do it. Also I've got no one to blame if it doesn't turn out.

Worse case scenario, I'll bring it to a pro if I don't like the job I did. I don't think it'll be more to repair a botched job.