PDA

View Full Version : Loose Bolts in Upholstery!!

mobiusLSV05
07-19-2005, 09:22 PM
Hey, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. While cleaning the boat I saw a 1/4 by 20 washer, lock washer, and nut on the floor under the bow cushions. Upon investigation I find several bolts loose! I havent put the boat through that much grief that it should be falling apart already. I wonder if it is a quality control issue SC needs to work out. I took a rachet wrench all around the boat, and found many loose to the point of being able to pull the upholstery away from the fiberglass. Any thoughts???

NC05LSV
07-19-2005, 10:41 PM
I have experienced the same things.............I kind of chocked it up to the break in period and just went around and tightened everything. One area that I was surprised at was the tower bolts to the hull. They were loose and had lock washers as well. If I wouldnt have caught that one, I am sure that I would have cause some cracks in the fiberglass. I think all boats have this happen though

Catdog1
07-20-2005, 02:52 AM
I replaced most of the nuts with nylocs ( be sure the bodies are stainless steel ).

That solves the problem. Otherwise, it will be a constant headache, as ours was.

bluesurf
07-27-2005, 09:35 PM
Yup, I think every moomba has that problem. I just talked to a guy yesterday and that was the first thing ha said. Maybe thay could put some better hardware on their boats. What a pain in the a$$ it is. I'm always replacing nuts. Oh well could be worse.

smokedog2
07-28-2005, 05:30 PM
I'm going to put in nylock, anyone know the size & thread?

10 miles round trip from boat to hardware store if I have to pull one to look.

tx

SD2

OnTheH20
07-29-2005, 10:54 AM
Ditto here...

I found a nut one weekend under the bow seat and the washer the next. I decided to tighten any seat bolts I could find. A few weeks later a bronze lock-nut was under the dash. Going there next...

Will Watters
07-29-2005, 12:29 PM
I went under my dash to exchange the position of the fuel gauge with the depth gauge (now I can read both!!) a couple months ago. Anyway, I found several of the electrical contact bronze nuts loose and one was off and found it on the floor after several minutes of looking. I think SC needs to get a handle on proper torque for these nuts. Anyone have this info?? Also, have not checked since moving the gauges to see if these nuts tend to migrate loose over time (hope not)....

Will 05 LSV

bluesurf
07-29-2005, 05:07 PM
yeah the bolts that hold the mess of wires to the gages often come loose from the factory. I went through all of them when i installed perf pass. It's been 2 years and there fine. All my gages used to go haywire as they made contact and lost contact. I love my boat but I think they should work on theses small things too. Although they really have refined their boats since I bought mine in 01.

Will Watters
07-29-2005, 06:05 PM
No complaints from me other than the little things like the depth finder placement and the loose bolts. I have had a whole lot of folks mention to me that they are looking at getting a Moomba for their next tow boat. No regrets from here.

Will

smokedog2
07-30-2005, 06:13 PM
05 has nylon nuts on the tower. Saved me one trip to the hardware store. I did not have time to check tightness of everything else, but they still work.

SD2