PDA

View Full Version : "Vault" bearing system

phospher
07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Hi guys,

I wanted to check in and see how everyone who has the "vault" sealed bearing systems are holding up. Any issues?

I recently noticed a tiny bit of blue oil around the lip of the outter hub. Since this was the first time I saw it and I haven't noticed any oil on my wheel or garage floor, I simply used some heat resistant RTV silicone sealing the outside of the hub so that no more oil can leak out.. So far so good.. However, I am a little concerned considering that I'm going to pull the boat 200 miles over the next few days.

Again, I must vent my frustration with these trailers.. perhaps trailers in general.. If it's not axles, it's tires, if it's not tires it's wheel bearings..

Thanks for the feedback!

moombahighrider
07-30-2012, 12:22 PM
I have an 08 with the vault system. So far so good. I cleaned them up really well at the start of this season, just to be sure I could see if they were leaking at all, and they seem to be rock solid.

I have to admit I am a little nervous about them, just because of the no maintenance thing. I tow a lot of miles every season and I have been stranded on the side of the road with my previous boat trailer, so I do not want that again. The dual axle helps calm my nerves quote a bit though.

In my research, I have not found much to do to them to be sure of their status. Mine do not have window to see the fluid level and all that, so I inspect them often and they seem to be behaving as they should. In my experience, the system works great.... To date.

moombadaze
07-30-2012, 12:32 PM
so I inspect them often and they seem to be behaving as they should. In my experience, the system works great.... To date.

Same here, so far not one issue

rdlangston13
07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
Let's see here. June 2011 I had a right front brake caliper seize up. No one in Houston sells UFP stuff so I had to buy a Kodiak kit with an adapter plate. The rotor was chewed up from the caliper dragging so I had to replace that, since that was coming off we went ahead and put on new wheel bearings. The right front has not had any issues since.

This winter I noticed the left front caliper was dragging as well so I purchased a new caliper online from BoatMate. When I went to install it I found the left front rotor to be cracked. I then decided to check the rest of the system and found the left rear caliper to dragging slightly and the right rear wheel seal to be leaking grease. All piston seals on the calipers were rotten and cracked and all calipers had significant fist in areas. At this point I just decided to replace everything that was still original.

I ordered 3 new rotors with bearings and 2 more calipers and got it all swapped out. After doing this the left front wheel seal began leaking. I took it apart and inspected and found no visual defaults in the seal itself so I reassembled. Then the "Vault" bearing cap fell off while towing one day (i guess from being taken off and put back on so many times?) So I decided to just get 4 bearing buddies. Well when I put the bearing buddies on I was pumping grease into them and the right rear wheel seal ruptured. I took it apart and found water in the hub, guess it started leaking in at some point. So then I said screw bearing buddies and put my vault caps back on.

Well my cotter pins on the spindle lock not were apparently too big and did not allow the center of the vault caps to rotate with the wheel and they heated up, ruined the seals on them and started leaking grease out from between the center vault cap and the stainless part. So I ordered all new Vault caps, trimmed the cotter pins and reinstalled. Now all I have left to do is replace the wheel seal on the right rear that is leaking.

Oh and I chew though left front tires like bubble gum. Major inside wear. Guess I need a new spindle?

phospher
07-30-2012, 02:23 PM
Wholly crap. I hope you're issues are an edge case. What, do you tow with your ballast full? Kidding..

That sucks man..

yz 2smoke
07-30-2012, 03:31 PM
I’m about to mount the 3rd tire this season on my left side. My wheels started to squeak very loud on the way home this weekend (I guess I get to replace wheel bearings now). My trailer was painted AFTER it started to rust. I had a trailer light fall off do to the hole being to big for the light.

Atlanta Marine took pictures of my trailer and sent them off to Boat mate, hopefully something will get done.

jmb
07-30-2012, 08:49 PM
I have had the oil changed in my hubs before. I guess this is what the "Vault" bearings are.

eblom
07-30-2012, 09:05 PM
I looked at mine and they have thin coating of oil on the outside... Is this normal?

rdlangston13
07-30-2012, 09:49 PM
thin coat would be a small leak to me. should stay clean and dry on the outside.

the oil hubs are not the vault, the vault is grease and there is no sight glass.

moombahighrider
07-30-2012, 10:21 PM
I looked at mine and they have thin coating of oil on the outside... Is this normal?

That photo is what mine looked like after three or four seasons before I cleaned mine early this season. They have stayed dry and clean since I cleaned them, so I am pretty happy about that...

Mine have never looked to be leaking at all, just a light coating after a number of seasons. I think you are good, eblom, provided it does not continue like that soon after its cleaned.

phospher
07-31-2012, 08:56 AM

Your vault cap seems to be pushed out a bit more than mine. The black cap is almost flush on my vaults.

ga-lsv05
07-31-2012, 10:14 AM
What kind of lubricant are you guys using?

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

eblom
07-31-2012, 10:22 AM
I cleaned mine up at the beginning of the season... but that was 2000 + miles ago... I'm going to clean it up again keep an eye on it.. I was able to push a cap back in flush... I have a 500 mile trip planned this weekend so we will see how it does...