PDA

View Full Version : First SC boat over 100k

jmvotto
07-28-2012, 10:32 PM
Playing with the big boys nowadays clearly stepping up their game.

Supra Sa 450 msrp at 106k. Wow....

http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=794760

Boonejeepin
07-28-2012, 11:02 PM
I guess I will be pulled by my XLV for quite some time. Ouch!

Mobius22
07-29-2012, 12:22 AM
Has anyone actually paid MSRP for their boat?

Boonejeepin
07-29-2012, 12:57 AM
I paid $17K under MSRP

jmvotto
07-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Agreed but if you get it in the 90 k range, that still big money.

wolfeman131
07-29-2012, 08:08 AM
Not for a dude like you, JV! You're a baller, and roll like a monster.

So, what color SA you ordering?

C.Hern5972
07-29-2012, 08:22 AM
We thought about ordering one and waiting on it. After dababting and looking at payment and other things we opted not too. It is defintately a beautiful boat. I think Supra and Moomba have both stepped their game up im builder nicer quality boats. We have owned Malibu, Master Craft, Supra and now a Moomba. Im glad they didnt have it on the showroom and i think we would have bought it.

Cigars n scotch
07-29-2012, 08:35 AM
Yeah I saw this on WW. These boat prices are insane. What's your down payment on a $90k boat? Then what's your monthly payment for an item that only gets used 6 months out of the year? Ouch is right.

But hey, everyone's situation is different and people have different priorities and financial situations. It's just hard to believe that a boat you cannot sleep in nor has a galley and is only 22 ft long is freaking $100k.

I will be in my 21V for the foreseeable future. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

C.Hern5972
07-29-2012, 09:10 AM
I believe that the interior in the new supra is amazing. We get to surf and wakeboard here pretty much yr round. It would be tough spending 90k on a ski boat. All my buds are sporting 90k plus boats and mine runs great, throws a killer wake, killers stereo..

jmvotto
07-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Not for a dude like you, JV! You're a baller, and roll like a monster.

So, what color SA you ordering?

You funny.... Maybe I buy it in a few years from bwebb after he gets the 2013 sa 550 from diggs next year.....:p
Then I "may" be able to roll in one of those..

04OUTBACK
07-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Yep. I'm cutting my budget now to start saving for seconds off diggs again in 2013. Hoping he goes 350 not 450 or 550 to keep the $$ down.

07-29-2012, 01:01 PM
It's almost the price of 2 Mojo's........ Think about that!

Mojo is where its at $ wise.

motosno963
07-29-2012, 03:32 PM
idk why you would spend 100,000$ on a 21-23 foot open bow boat..ill go buy a used 10-12 that will do the same for 40G..or if i want to spend 100G ill go buy a boat that has it all so i can actually live in for weeks at a time..i paid 14? after i traded in my jetski for my boat and if i add a few more small things ill still be under 40G..oh well..i guess some people dont care how they spend there money..or there just in debt so deep they will clame bankrupcy soon

wolfeman131
07-29-2012, 04:31 PM
idk why you would spend 100,000$ on a 21-23 foot open bow boat..

For most, when they get into that tax bracket, buy simply because they can.

rdlangston13
07-29-2012, 05:39 PM
I honestly think that whatever boat manufacturer prices their tow boats for "Joe average boater" who takes home Joe average income is gonna lead the way in the boat biz.

Skiers Choice may be setting themselves up to be pricing themselves out of business.

I hope not. I love the company, but I think they are forgetting what the original company philosophy was... and that was - building boats which where the "best bang for the buck".

Does joe average boater really need a $100K tow boat? I think not.

He wants a boat priced no more than in the high 20's.

Skiers Choice gonna do that? No.

But someone else will

Just like the car manufacturers - if you want to survive, your gonna have to change your marketing strategies.

The demand ain't gonna be with the overpriced

Who is this someone else? Don't know of a wake boat prices in the high 20s

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
07-29-2012, 05:48 PM
Yugo tried that philosophy of building the cheapest.

Porsche continues to build high performance, high ticket cars.

I'm betting SC will be OK.

C.Hern5972
07-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Heck in the early 90's I paid more than 20k for my Malibu and it was plain Jane. I agree, SC should market boats in the average boaters range. HONESTLY, is there a 100k in a ski boat? I understand labor, resin prices higher, supra vision.. To me a boat between the 40- 75k range falls perfect.

Without a doubt SC will have no problems selling a beautiful boat. It just sucks for the poor man.

Boonejeepin
07-29-2012, 06:32 PM
There is definitely buyers for 100k boats. Unfortunately it is not me.

Some buyers would not buy a boat unless it stickers for over 100k. Status has a price. I see that SC has actually broadened it's market. They still have the Moomba for guys like us.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-29-2012, 07:16 PM
We thought about ordering one and waiting on it. After dababting and looking at payment and other things we opted not too. It is defintately a beautiful boat. I think Supra and Moomba have both stepped their game up im builder nicer quality boats. We have owned Malibu, Master Craft, Supra and now a Moomba. Im glad they didnt have it on the showroom and i think we would have bought it.

You have a cooler wife than I. If I came home with a boat that is nearly twice the amount as the one we were considering originally she would have made me sleep in the basement for being a sucker. Not to mention depriving me of certain "unmentionables".

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

C.Hern5972
07-29-2012, 08:02 PM
LoL. She's Definately cool. I've wakeboarded in many comps. I started skiing(wakeboard) in 89. I've always loved the sport. Never wanted to do anything other than have a good time and let the kiddos have a good time. It doesn't take a 100k boat to be able to do ANY tricks. I've got some buds that thrown down seriously. They have wakeboarded behind the Malibu sportster and thrown every trick they had. Hell Shannon Best wakeboarded behind that lil thing and killed it. I had some serious weight in it. Wayyyy too much. So I guess we thought it out and came to our senses that we don't need a 100k boat or a 1000 month payment. If you can afford them, great, we will save some money...

rdlangston13
07-29-2012, 08:30 PM
LoL. She's Definately cool. I've wakeboarded in many comps. I started skiing(wakeboard) in 89. I've always loved the sport. Never wanted to do anything other than have a good time and let the kiddos have a good time. It doesn't take a 100k boat to be able to do ANY tricks. I've got some buds that thrown down seriously. They have wakeboarded behind the Malibu sportster and thrown every trick they had. Hell Shannon Best wakeboarded behind that lil thing and killed it. I had some serious weight in it. Wayyyy too much. So I guess we thought it out and came to our senses that we don't need a 100k boat or a 1000 month payment. If you can afford them, great, we will save some money...

your 100% right! I need a 100k boat to make up for my lack of wakeboarding skill! not that it will make me ride better but I will certianly get cool points

C.Hern5972
07-29-2012, 09:01 PM
I need cool points too

RickT
07-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Interesting read. Some of these numbers are definitely inflated. Most Supras will SELL for somewhere from low 70 to mid to high 80...depending on how you option it out.

But this is why we have two brands and a well equipped all new LSV is targeted for 50k.

Rick

C.Hern5972
07-29-2012, 09:14 PM
Rick,
I do agree you guys have done a killer job with keeping up on the new and improved while keeping the price in the real world buyers market.

jmvotto
07-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Rick,

Thanks for reading and taking part in these forums. I think it's great that when Malibu created axis to compete with SC , SC takes it to them where they play ball. Upping the luxury end and hopefully eating their lunch.... My crazy .02

sandm
07-30-2012, 12:36 PM
it would be interesting to see a basic wakeboard boat, no bling, simple seats, no computers, minimal gauges and an oldschool 4leg tower in the 30k range.

New Guy
07-30-2012, 01:17 PM
There was a company with a 20K boat called Standard, Guess who isn't around anymore;)

I worry about the used market with boats priced this high. I mean who in their right mind is going to buy a 70K 4 year old boat?? Sure its helping my 02 out because it plateaued but I won't be running out to buy a used x-star, G-Series ect when I can buy a NEW Moomba and still save 20K.

Rick and the boys be careful to try and keep the prices in line. I remember when you could get a Axis pretty well optioned in the low 50's now you can option them all the way to mid 70's. We don't want to see this with the Moomba line.

rdlangston13
07-30-2012, 01:22 PM
it would be interesting to see a basic wakeboard boat, no bling, simple seats, no computers, minimal gauges and an oldschool 4leg tower in the 30k range.

this was the outback v and lsv just like 4 years ago haha

WaterBullDawg1980
07-30-2012, 02:17 PM

Exactly! If you blink you may have missed it! GREAT boat.

sandm
07-30-2012, 06:22 PM

when I went to buy my first boat in the late summer of '07, I was ready to ink the deal on an lsv. it wasn't anywhere near 30k and wasn't loaded. price otd was 42 brand new and had all the options that mattered, but that's a far cry from 30k. ended up with the supra for same price otd and was fully loaded with the big motor, but had 85 hrs as supra's demo boat for the mag shoots for 06.

interesting sidenote, when I traded the boat in, the dealer asked me if I knew how to read hin's. I told him no. he explained the numbers and told me that my boat was the very first '06 that skiers rolled off the line..

sandm
07-30-2012, 06:25 PM
Amen, Brother!

Bring back the Boomerang,

Bring back the Boomerang!!!!!!!!

only if it's a vdrive, 21ft and a good solid wakeboat stripped and priced for the masses..
I can't imagine there's near enough market to introduce another comp ski boat and make it profitable.

I know i'll get shot for these words, but waterskiing, imo from what I see out here, is a dying art..

....zips up flamesuit.... :)

WaterBullDawg1980
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
I know i'll get shot for these words, but waterskiing, imo from what I see out here, is a dying art..

You bite your tongue!

rdlangston13
07-30-2012, 08:56 PM
when I went to buy my first boat in the late summer of '07, I was ready to ink the deal on an lsv. it wasn't anywhere near 30k and wasn't loaded. price otd was 42 brand new and had all the options that mattered, but that's a far cry from 30k.

maybe i should have been more clear. MSRP for an OBV was 34,999 and an LSV was 38,999 or something like that. I was just saying that the first number was a three. Optioned and after TTL out the door would push it higher im sure.

jmvotto
07-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Fwiw.
October 2007 the msrp on my 2007 obv was 32k with options OTD was 39k . I paid less, but back then the tower was an option.

Cigars n scotch
07-30-2012, 09:14 PM
IMO, and you can disagree with me, is that mostl top brand boat manufacturers are catering to the "scene'sters" rather than the broad base of wake boarding enthusiasts and it's a bad trend. Yes there are pro's that want a G23/Xstar wake and features and they'll get their promo/sponsor boats for free, and there are those others that just care about the fact they have a expensive wake boat and don't care what the price (a status symbol; I'll remain silent on the states these kind tend to reside in) and then you have what I consider to be "us". Us folks who just love to be out on the water in our boats and either with friends or family because that is what it's all about to us. We aren't rock stars or people looking or able to spend $100k on a luxury item on top of our mortgage, kids, car/truck payments,etc. IMO they are pricing out the people who MADE them successful in the first place.

I may be just rambling a bit but it's what I'm seeing with these companies. Maybe I'll find a new SA 350 a few years down the road like I found my 21V. We just need another credit crisis (not that I really want that).

C.Hern5972
07-30-2012, 09:18 PM
CnS I would agree

E4NASH
07-30-2012, 11:44 PM
only if it's a vdrive, 21ft and a good solid wakeboat stripped and priced for the masses..
I can't imagine there's near enough market to introduce another comp ski boat and make it profitable.

Agreed...I never see anyone skiing anymore. I think that's only something the Canadians do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canuckle Head
07-31-2012, 01:10 AM
Agreed...I never see anyone skiing anymore. I think that's only something the Canadians do...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess you've never been to Lake Oswego just outside Portland Oregon......

maxpower220
07-31-2012, 07:50 AM
It's depressing that we are talking about 2007 as "way back then". My boat is an 08 and still "seems" new to me. I guess it's time for a new boat.

sandm
07-31-2012, 09:51 AM
IMO, and you can disagree with me

I think I have to :)
just like in the automotive world with kia and mercedes, we have moomba and mastercraft(dont' for a second think I'm comparing moomba to kia).. this is america and it's great to have choices. some choose moomba because they can't afford mc, and some choose it based on the value of what you get. same with mc, some are financed to the hilt and some in the 7figure income bracket pay cash. you are correct that some are buying an xstar as a status symbol and it never floats out of the party cove, but others are buying it as they are advanced riders and the wake is better than you will get behind a moomba, but it's equally as true that in any party cove, you will see skiers products tied up and ballast ejected for speaker bling and stereos/stripper poles. that's the great thing about america. we have choices, but to say that the only ones who love to be on the water are those in a value line like the moomba is nonsense. you just choose not to spend money on a fancy wakeboat.. I've seen a metalflaked/loaded to the hilt xstar that I know was north of 120k towing an entire boat full of kids one day and they were screaming at the top of their lungs having a great day. just because they can buy it... good for them..
they(the expensive boats) are not pricing people out of the market as they are still selling boats. they and their dealer network would be extinct if they were not and you should be glad they are. no competition would mean that skiers would not have needed to redesign the lsv and would not have just released the sa line. skiers is smart in spending r&d in both lines, just like toyota and lexus..

sorry, off the soapbox, but it kind of hit me with the part that seems to indicate that if you own a "status symbol" boat you don't enjoy the water..

WaterBullDawg1980
07-31-2012, 12:18 PM
I think I have to :)
just like in the automotive world with kia and mercedes, we have moomba and mastercraft(dont' for a second think I'm comparing moomba to kia).. this is america and it's great to have choices. some choose moomba because they can't afford mc, and some choose it based on the value of what you get. same with mc, some are financed to the hilt and some in the 7figure income bracket pay cash. you are correct that some are buying an xstar as a status symbol and it never floats out of the party cove, but others are buying it as they are advanced riders and the wake is better than you will get behind a moomba, but it's equally as true that in any party cove, you will see skiers products tied up and ballast ejected for speaker bling and stereos/stripper poles. that's the great thing about america. we have choices, but to say that the only ones who love to be on the water are those in a value line like the moomba is nonsense. you just choose not to spend money on a fancy wakeboat.. I've seen a metalflaked/loaded to the hilt xstar that I know was north of 120k towing an entire boat full of kids one day and they were screaming at the top of their lungs having a great day. just because they can buy it... good for them..
they(the expensive boats) are not pricing people out of the market as they are still selling boats. they and their dealer network would be extinct if they were not and you should be glad they are. no competition would mean that skiers would not have needed to redesign the lsv and would not have just released the sa line. skiers is smart in spending r&d in both lines, just like toyota and lexus..

sorry, off the soapbox, but it kind of hit me with the part that seems to indicate that if you own a "status symbol" boat you don't enjoy the water..

Nothing more to add after this for me. Exactly how I feel. Good post.