PDA

View Full Version : How is the LSV for slalom?

turnipgreen
07-27-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't own a moomba. I am looking at options when it is time to upgrade. I like to slalom, but also wakeboard. Rest of family wakeboards, and of course kids tube. I'm wondering if the LSV puts out a useful wake for a slalom run, or if even its mildest wake is too much. Sales guys say it would work great, but I would rather have non-biased input.

Any comments are welcome.

Ron

ChrisK
07-27-2012, 10:16 AM
All depends on what you're currently used to skiing

BensonWdby
07-27-2012, 10:27 AM
If the sales guy is that sure - ask him to take you out for a run - before you buy.
I have never skied behind a V drive so can't say - but I doubt any V drive can supply a high quality slalom wake. There are enough DD boats that are not very good wakes as well. I have a friend with a MC 209 - a crossover DD - and the wake on that is horrible.

I think part of it will depend on your speed. If you are consistently sking at 34-36 mph there is a chance you might have luck. If you are skiing around 30 mph - I would be suspicious.

If you get a DD with buildin ballast I am pretty sure you can get the wake most people can live with. I mean most wakeboarders I have known rarely get past the heelside wake-to-wake from what I have seen - and you don't need a monster wake for that. You can do that behind an outboard.

My 2cts.
Dave

chawk610
07-27-2012, 10:37 AM
I have an '08 LS (DD) my wife slaloms behind it regularly. She loves it. I pull her at 28-30mph. I would think a V-Drive would be hard to ski.

brain_rinse
07-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I think the LSV is one of the best do-it-all boat out there. Ski wake is decent, wakeboard wake and surf wave are both great.

I have had a few good slalom skiers behind my boat and at 34 mph with the wakeplate all the way down there didn't appear to be much wake at all and they all seemed to do a really nice job. Since my boat is almost always set up for wakeboarding the standard response has been "Wow, that's way better than I thought it would be!" I've never slalomed so just an untrained observation.

04OUTBACK
07-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Möbius LS is an option of you are lookin used
If you rec slalom lsv is probably fine. If you wanna run the course? Prob not.

Wake plate helps flatten and is necessary if you want to slalom behind lsv

Didn't MC or nautique get a v drive awsa certified?

zabooda
07-27-2012, 11:10 AM
It's all about weight and weight distribution. The weight distribution on a V drive is similar to an I/O so if you like skiing behind an I/O then you will like the V drive. The bigger the boat means more weight which means more displacement which means larger wake which means lousy skiing. A good ski boat is DD, small and nothing in it except PFDs, rope and a flag.

ChrisK
07-27-2012, 12:17 PM
Yes, I believe MC did make a V-Drive that got certified.

I also agree that it is 100% dependent on what speed you're at, the wake difference between 28 mph and 36 mph in that boat would be huge.

turnipgreen
07-27-2012, 01:49 PM
I currently have a 2003 Regal 2000, which is a heavy deep V I/O. Wake isn't flat by any means, and I am just a rec skier. I keep trying to get better. I ski at about 34 currently. I will never compete or anything, but I do want my 3 or 4 runs per weekend to go along with the wakeboarding and other fun.

I appreciate your input!

Ron

ChrisK
07-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Yeah you'll be fine with the LSV.

motosno963
07-27-2012, 03:41 PM
i thought u wanted a flat wake behind the boat to slalom..or am i wrong?..i dont know i have never done it nor has my friends

WaterBullDawg1980
07-27-2012, 04:10 PM
The pre 2006 LSV is much better for slalom that 2006 and up. It is actually pretty solid from what my buddy says who is the expert. If you are looking for something that would compare to a Prostar or something similar than you will be disappointed but I would say it is more than serviceable. I have a video on my phone of where I was toying with the slalom wake. I'll see if I can upload it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

turnipgreen
07-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Mark, that would be awesome!

For someone like me, as long as it isn't huge at its mildest I'm sure I would live. The flatter teh better though.

Ron

rca
07-27-2012, 09:21 PM
My wife slaloms behind our new to us 2011 LSV every time we take it out, which is about twice a week right now. She's a rec skier, but pretty good. She's OK with the wake at 34 and a short rope. We came from an I/O and she likes this better. The wake is there for sure, not flat by any means, but the boat holds a line really well which or I/O would never do. She was always waiting for the I/O to catch up and that isn't really much of an issue now.

Great all around boat. The rest of the family wakeboards, kneeboards and surfs.

Ron

skiyaker
07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
pretty sure it will better than your I/O
I used to ski behind a bass tracker deck boat; compared to that my outback V is awesome
then I started skiing behind a friend's malibu response which compared to the OBV is more awesome
so I got a closed bow nautique just to use on the slalom course, which is even more awesome
but I'll still ski behind my OBV in open water- which I plan to do all week long next week on Norris Lake

Grant M
07-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Mark, that would be awesome!

For someone like me, as long as it isn't huge at its mildest I'm sure I would live. The flatter teh better though.

Ron
Hi Ron, I ski behind my 06 LSV at 32 mph and it's not bad. It is a bit of a bump in the middle but I don't ski a course where you really need to power through the wake to make the next bouy.
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15562&d=1343486635

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video/vi...50585670116894

Here is a bad video of me skiing with 5 people in the boat at 31 mph on a 1st run on a Radar Senate C ski I had rented.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Ok, unfortunately I somehow deleted the video I was going to show you that had only my wife and I in the boat. I uploaded the video on the way to the ramp before we had dropped everyone off. So, this video is not going to give you a real idea of the slalom wake. This one was done with 4 adults and 3 small children, so take it for what it is worth. I did have the wake plate all the way down. That being said, I don't think it is half bad, although I am not a slalom skier so my critique should be taken with a grain of salt. :)

In the meantime I will see about recording another one.

http://youtu.be/USpUk_6VBoA

BensonWdby
07-28-2012, 11:58 PM
How fast were you going in that video? The V-drives must be a little wider than a typical DD judging by the way the bump builds. Or maybe it is just the wake plate effect. If you have expectations of a good allaround boat and you want good slalom you should test ski one if you can.

mfogt
07-31-2012, 01:56 PM
My new boat is a 2012 LSV. I grew up a Slalom Skier(behind my Dad's 1984 Four Winns Deck Boat!) and having a decent ski wake was a requirement but am admitedly not getting any better at skiing as I get older and it was a lower priority than having room for my entire family/friends. I do ski behind mine and at 30-32 it does fine. I can run the course in it, but if looking to shorten the line(which I am no longer good enough to do) you would want a Direct Drive. A good friend of mine has a nice MC197, so when I want to try and make a hard run at the course we ski behind his and wakeboard behind mine.

Also to note, I had a 2004 LSV until this year and it had a slightly better Ski Wake than my new one but the Wakeboard Wake was obviously worse.

I love my new LSV and don't think there is a better boat by anyone to fit my family's needs.

kaneboats
07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
"A good friend of mine has a nice MC197, so when I want to try and make a hard run at the course we ski behind his and wakeboard behind mine."

That right there is the perfect solution.

wolfeman131
07-31-2012, 03:36 PM
That right there is the perfect solution.

or this

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1995-Moomba-Boomerang-101677410

turnipgreen
07-31-2012, 03:46 PM
Hey, I'm glad to have one boat to play with, so two is definitely not an option! I'm skiing right now behind an I/O, wake isn't flat by any means. I'm almost 45, and I'm not hitting the tour anytime soon. I think the videos you showed weren't bad, just may have to use the full rope. Before I spend that much money, I'll surely make them take me for a ride, although I have been looking around the lake for other moomba boats to see what the wake looks like, and to maybe get some opinions.

I wish buying a boat wasn't like buying a car. I guess it is with all big ticket items. At least with cars these days and prices online so much it is pretty simple to arrange everything just by email, but with boats you immediately get quoted MSRP plus gunk.

Ron

Garn
08-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I have on 07 Mobius LS which is the direct drive version of the LSV. I am 100% a slalom skier, as is most of my family. I compete in tournaments with my best being 6 @ 32 off (34 mph for my age - 52). I chose the LS over the Outback, Moomba's pure ski boat, because I can only have one boat and we regularly go to Lake Powell an Lake Mead where things can get pretty bad. You'd swamp a tournament ski boat if you got caught on one of those lakes when the wind came up. The LS has a higher sidewall then the Outback and a slightler sharper front bow to deal with bad weather better. But in that compromise, you lose some of the perfect slalom ski wake that you get in a tournament boat. I regularly practice in the course with my boat. I ski at 34 mph and regularly ski it at 28 off. I have skied it in our clubs course at 32 off as well. The wake is very manageable and skiable at those lengths. But anything shorter then 32 off you wouldn't want to do it on an LS.

The LSV, with all that motor weight being in the back of the boat, is not going to have as good as wake as the LS. On the other hand, what type of skiing are you mostly going to be doing with it? Are you a course skier? Are you a tournament skier? If so, the LSV probably is not the boat for you. If you are an open water skier who likes to have fun, even shorten the line, I think the LSV would probably be a pretty good choice.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Garn

ChrisK
08-01-2012, 02:03 PM
I believe it was already established that he's a recreational skier currently skiing behind a Rinker. He will be fine with an LSV.

saskie99
08-01-2012, 02:14 PM
This past weekend I skied with my 05 lsv 32 mph 15 off, I thought it was horrible, wake plate was all the wau down. Everytime I went to cross the wake I had to let off to absorb the wake and got a shot of water in the face. I also went skiing behind a 08 malibu response, now that is a wake that you can cut as hard as you want and hold the edge all the way though the wake. They are not even comparable.
Now that being said I surf and wakeboard most of the time to I dont want a ski boat, I would try both a direct drive and a v drive and see for you self the difference and the limitations of both boats.