PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting boat lift bunks

freshturk
07-27-2012, 09:48 AM
So we're leaving tomorrow for Lake Norman, NC and we rented a house on the lake which has a lift and I'd like to have an idea as to how to properly adjust the bunks to evenly lift my LSV when i get there. I'm attaching the only picture I have of the dock. Any help is appreciated

DOCDRS
07-27-2012, 10:23 AM
You want to make sure that your keel is not sitting on the front cross member and that your prop shaft isnt resting on the rear x support. you may be fine with what is there just dont have the boat too far forward as to catch the prop shaft. Measure the bunk height , look like 2x8 so that 7.5 inches, so take 7 inches then measure down 7 inches from the hull at a distance equal to the width spacing of the bunks and this will determine the point at which you would be hitting the prop shaft on the rear support. Then move forward 4" and this is the closest you want the rear support to be on the boat. Lift it up with some rubber on the front support beam and see if your keel clears the beam. move bunks up or inward to gain clearance if necessary. this is what I would do , marking the beam so you can return any movements when you leave.

maxpower220
07-27-2012, 12:36 PM
If you have a trailer, measure the distance between the bunks and then use that to set up the lift. That is how I have done my boat lift.

jmvotto
07-27-2012, 03:09 PM
make sure you drop the craddle low enough in the water then walk the boat in to avoid catching the fins on the cross bars,thn raise slowly , then follow what doc proposed and mark how far forward with out banging the prop shaft, etc....

freshturk
07-27-2012, 04:03 PM
Hate to sound dumb, but maybe its because I'm trying to imagine this without actually seeing the lift, but doc I'm having a hard time understanding exactly where you're suggesting i mark. What I'm envisioning is that that the pointy part of the forward area of my hull should be on the cross member with equal pressure(or slightly more) oof the hull on the bunks with them being equidistant from one another. Should the rear cross support be touching the area right in front of my prop shaft? Thanks for the quick replies guys. Any pictures anyone might have with V drives on this type of lift would prolly help just for a visual reference.

jmvotto
07-27-2012, 06:08 PM
Just like the boat in the pic, it is balanced on the cradle .

With my xlv I line up the gas cap with the cross beam or cables and you should be fine , if you have an xlv.

Find a mark on the boat that you don't want to pull the boat past on the hoist. Look under the boat and find where the shaft is approx. 4 inches from the hull. Translate that spot to a mark on your deck, gas tank, cleat piece of tape, etc and don't bring her in past that..

DOCDRS
07-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Hate to sound dumb, but maybe its because I'm trying to imagine this without actually seeing the lift, but doc I'm having a hard time understanding exactly where you're suggesting i mark. What I'm envisioning is that that the pointy part of the forward area of my hull should be on the cross member with equal pressure(or slightly more) oof the hull on the bunks with them being equidistant from one another. Should the rear cross support be touching the area right in front of my prop shaft? Thanks for the quick replies guys. Any pictures anyone might have with V drives on this type of lift would prolly help just for a visual reference.

you do not want any part of your boat touching the metal cross support beams. the boat should be on the wood beams only. you want to make sure the drive shaft which sticks down from the hull does not contact the rear cross metal support beam.....very bad for shaft