PDA

View Full Version : Ecoli

New Guy
07-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Ok guys I know that some of you southerners have had to deal with ecoli but up here in Wisconsin it was never really a problem until this year. It has been very hot and dry and most of our lake are turning green and there has been a recent ecoli sickness. ( http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120724071&nclick_check=1 ) How do you deal with it? Is it something to be concerned about as an adult?

chawk610
07-25-2012, 12:04 PM
We really only have a problem down here in the stagnent little ponds. In the major "rec" areas you are prolly ok I would think.

New Guy
07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Yeah that is the problem, it is on Lake Winnebago it is 13 mi long by 7 mi wide not small by any means. We often frequented it on the weekends because of the size and ability to find smooth water. There is also a couple great sand bars that go to when the water gets tore up.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.991827,-88.431702&spn=0.61947,1.674042&t=m&z=10

tnbrooks01
07-25-2012, 12:47 PM
The ecoli sp? Etc. is present here in Ok but usually not a problem. The college wakeboard nationals had to be moved this year because the ecoli levels were too high. According to the corp the spike it's due to drought and lack of flow and wind churning the water. The bigger issue here is a spike in blue green algae caused by the same reasons.

With that said neither has closed any of the areas of the lakes that we frequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Guy
07-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Todd that is exactly what we have going on, a ton of B/G algae and raise e-coli levels.

tnbrooks01
07-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Todd that is exactly what we have going on, a ton of B/G algae and raise e-coli levels.

http://www.travelok.com/checkmyoklake/research

Above is a good link for bg algae research. Even with it present in our cove around our dock we still swim in the main body of the lake with no problems.

parrothd
07-25-2012, 04:41 PM
Ok guys I know that some of you southerners have had to deal with ecoli but up here in Wisconsin it was never really a problem until this year. It has been very hot and dry and most of our lake are turning green and there has been a recent ecoli sickness. ( http://www.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012120724071&nclick_check=1 ) How do you deal with it? Is it something to be concerned about as an adult?

Like I tell ever beginner, "keep your mouth closed"... :)

ga-lsv05
07-26-2012, 09:18 AM
I'd be more concerned with brain eating ameba

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

ULMboarder
07-26-2012, 04:46 PM
Im one of the organizers for USA Wakeboard's collegiate wake nationals. Plus, our wake team advisor here at ULM is a toxicology professor who recieved a 300k dollar grant to study the ecoli in water problem.

The nationals event was moved to another site due to the city pulling our permit after finder water levels 24 hours before the comp started that were too above average. It was 4800 somethin parts per million. which really isnt that high. The other thing is that the that is markers that they are reading. A marker doesn mean that there are 4800 ecoli parts. just when we see these markers, there is a 50/50 chance that there is a ecoli in that marker. so its probably more like 2400 ecoli parts. There is no law or rule that says what a high number is. They pulled that permit just to cover their butt. And i still have not heard of anyone coming up sick from that event.

Now here in Monroe, La we have bayou desiard that runs thru the campus. its the old ouachita river bed and is a very very slow moving body of water. This is where the ULM ski team and wake teams host our tournaments and practice. The ecoli levels in this body of water can get extremely high. But it is very easy to tell when they will get that high. After every heavy rain, the levels spike, then within 24 to 48 hours fall back to normal. normal levels in the water are about 0 to 150 parts per million. when these levels spike after a rain, can get as high as 50k parts per million. We are all told to not ride during or after a heavy rain. And are reccommended to not ride during or after a light rain. We do it anyways tho. and no one has gotten sick. We all kinda feel like we have probably built up a bit of a immune system against it.

The only time we have ever had anyone get sick, was a kid on the wakeboard team rode one day with a severe sinus infection. he knew he had that before he hit the water. We took him to the ER 2 days later and they said due to the sinus infection, his immune system was weekend and it he got it. Other wise he woulda been fine.

So my point is, you are fine. The city official and epa all freak out when they see something thats not normal. even if its perfectly safe. they dont take that into account. If you are still a little weary of it, just wait a day or 2 after it rains. The reason the levels spike after the rain is all the run off washes it off the ground and into the lakes. 2 days later it settles and disapates into the water. Our advisor has said he has never seen levels as high as where we ride and he knows we ride in it, and he has actually riden with us in the same water.

now on a side note. next year your gonna have all kinds of plants growing under water. its a great fertilizer. lol. it got so bad last year that they actually came and sprayed the bayou to kill it all. It was choking off our prop and rudder on the boat.

wolfeman131
07-26-2012, 06:41 PM
I think the high levels of alcohol in your systems kills off them creepy crawlies.

tnbrooks01
07-27-2012, 01:18 PM
ULMboarder- thanks for the info. My son and I were at the natls in Okc and were bummed when it was moved to Guthrie. The river is always a cool place to have an event. If I remember correctly it rained pretty heavy the night before and suspect the city tried to anticipate a problem that didn't really occur later.

Did your crew have to buy all new gear after riding in red clay water there in Guthrie?

New Guy
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
ULMboarder that is some great info thanks! It wasn't me that was overly concerned it is more the guys I ride with. I just need to be a better salesman lol.