PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical advice for the not so mechanical!

BGeorge01
07-25-2012, 09:44 AM
So the last time I had the boat out was about 1 1/2-2 weeks ago (new upholstry getting done) she was running great. I figured seeing as I have all of the interior out I would do some cleaning and maint. I went to change the oil yesterday and....nothing, wouldnt turn over. The only thing that I have done so far was cleaning and changed the spark plugs. Being not very mechanical I of course dont want to touch another thing lol. Now as for the plugs I just took the old ones out went to the parts store and they gave me new ones. Is there supposed to be a certain kind/gap? The new ones (ac delco I believe) are gaped at 0.45 does that sound about right, to big/small? I just have no idea were to even start and the closet place that will even look at boats is about 2 hours away. I dont think that it is to major seeing how it was just running fine a week ago so believe I can fix it with some help. When I bought the boat it didnt come with any manuals (boat/engine), I am looking for some online but with no luck so far.

Here is a video of what its sounding like so maybe you more "Mechanical Savey" ones will hear it and know whats going on or have some direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh9g_SOlMKU&feature=plcp

Any help or direction would be great and thank you for reading and helping.

Brian
1998 Outback

Stazi
07-25-2012, 09:51 AM
That doesn't sound right to me...almost like the starter isn't engaging properly. Weird....... It doesn't have the typical ch-chugga, ch-chugga, ch-chugga sound that a normal V8 makes when it's being cranked over.....

moombadaze
07-25-2012, 10:04 AM
sounds like the starter is not engaging

BGeorge01
07-25-2012, 10:16 AM
sounds like the starter is not engaging

is that something that would just go with no warning?

parrothd
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Bad starter bendix....Pull the starter and replace it or have someone replace the bendix..The more you use it the worse it will get...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=starter+bendix+not+engaging&oq=starter+dendix&gs_l=hp.1.1.0i13l4.0.0.1.257.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0. ..0.0...1c.-6DrY_50b0U&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8f43c5bd048b596f&biw=1843&bih=1306

BGeorge01
07-25-2012, 11:07 AM
So do i have to get a whole new starter or is the "bendix" a piece in the starter that can be replaced?

ga-lsv05
07-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Easier and better insurance to buy a new starter. Or "new" to you anyway as even a parts store bought unit will more than likely be a remanufactured unit. It's pretty easy to remove and install. Just be sure to disconnect the battery before proceeding

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

moombadaze
07-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Just make sure if you replace it that its a marine starter---something about anti spark.

ga-lsv05
07-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Just make sure if you replace it that its a marine starter---something about anti spark.

Good call. I wasn't aware there was a difference in the starters.

BGeorge01
07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
THANKS everyone i will give the starter a try and go from there....

eblom
07-25-2012, 01:41 PM
I think Autozone Advanced etc will test your starter for free...

maxpower220
07-25-2012, 01:43 PM
The gap on the plugs (.45) is correct. No worries there.

There is a link on this website at the top under "Community" and then "Downloads" for a boat manual for your boat.

If you check your phone book, you should be able to find a starter/alternator repair store in your area. If you can get the starter off (2 bolts at the bottom of the starter), you can take it to them for a test. Usually, they can repair or replace it for less than a starter from a marine store/dealer. Having it repaired means that you will have no shimming issues that you might have by getting another (new) starter.

parrothd
07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
The gap on the plugs (.45) is correct. No worries there.

There is a link on this website at the top under "Community" and then "Downloads" for a boat manual for your boat.

If you check your phone book, you should be able to find a starter/alternator repair store in your area. If you can get the starter off (2 bolts at the bottom of the starter), you can take it to them for a test. Usually, they can repair or replace it for less than a starter from a marine store/dealer. Having it repaired means that you will have no shimming issues that you might have by getting another (new) starter.

+1, I'd stay away from autozone, they can test the starter works, but can't test the bendix... :)

wolfeman131
07-25-2012, 03:29 PM
I'd use it as an excuse to buy a 2013 LSV.

BGeorge01
07-25-2012, 04:34 PM
i'd use it as an excuse to buy a 2013 lsv.

man i wish!!!

motosno963
07-25-2012, 07:25 PM
I'd use it as an excuse to buy a 2013 LSV.second..maybe i sould sink mine and get a 13 haha i kid i kid

BGeorge01
07-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, took the starter out last night and took it to advanced (I know a couple said not to but there is nowhere else around here to take it) they did their test and it failed!! thanks for the help all, hopefully this will do the trick! going to call a place nearby and see about having it rebuilt. Again thanks a ton!

Brian

BGeorge01
07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
***UPDATE***

Had the starter replaced put it back on last night and tired it out..........NOTHING, same thing. I have ordered a distributor cap and rotor because mine is a bit corroded and am going to change out the fuel filter....any other suggestions??

thanks

myster
07-31-2012, 09:53 AM
It's still your starter!!! Is it a new starter? I cant access youtube from work but I have heard the noise a starter makes when it's not popping out and engaging the engine and judging by the reaction others have had to the noise its making, that is what is happening!! Did you re-install the starter?

parrothd
07-31-2012, 10:01 AM
It's still your starter!!! Is it a new starter? I cant access youtube from work but I have heard the noise a starter makes when it's not popping out and engaging the engine and judging by the reaction others have had to the noise its making, that is what is happening!! Did you re-install the starter?

Guess I'm confused what is the issue?

Does the engine not start and run or just the starter not engaging?

parrothd
07-31-2012, 10:05 AM
My guess if it's not running you have the firing order messed up..

When you replaced the spark plugs are you %100 positive you didn't switch the plug wires around? The service manual has the firing order, you should check that...

Stazi
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Can you see teeth on the flex plate (what the starter's sprocket engages on the motor to turn it over) when you pull the starter out?

ga-lsv05
07-31-2012, 10:10 AM
It's not uncommon to get a bad reman starter. I would have it checked

BGeorge01
07-31-2012, 10:16 AM

ya I had it "rebuilt" and installed it last night. so maybe I should just by a new one and go from there? Crazy Question but do you think that it could have anything to do with the ingnition switch?

Guess I'm confused what is the issue?

Does the engine not start and run or just the starter not engaging?

Does not start up, like it wont turn over. I posted a video at the beginning of what is going on. Everyone said starter so thats where i went, had it rebuilt and still same thing is going on

My guess if it's not running you have the firing order messed up..

When you replaced the spark plugs are you %100 positive you didn't switch the plug wires around? The service manual has the firing order, you should check that...

I am 100% sure, the wires are only so long that they are impossible to get switched and I only took one plug out at a time so i wouldnt do that.

Can you see teeth on the flex plate (what the starter's sprocket engages on the motor to turn it over) when you pull the starter out?

yes i could, should i hve looked for something there?

BGeorge01
07-31-2012, 10:18 AM
It's not uncommon to get a bad reman starter. I would have it checked

Maybe take it back out and go back to advanced and have it tested

parrothd
07-31-2012, 10:46 AM
When you pull the starter out see if you can look inside and see if the teeth are broken off the flywheel..

BGeorge01
07-31-2012, 11:08 AM
When you pull the starter out see if you can look inside and see if the teeth are broken off the flywheel..

That would not be good!! I will do that. could it be the distributor cap being corroded? It would be nice cause it should be here anytime. I mean it seems like it either no gas or no spark.

parrothd
07-31-2012, 11:13 AM
No, it's either the starter(rebuilts can still be bad) or the teeth are worn or broken off...It's most likely the starter...

ga-lsv05
07-31-2012, 11:13 AM
That would not be good!! I will do that. could it be the distributor cap being corroded? It would be nice cause it should be here anytime. I mean it seems like it either no gas or no spark.

Absolutely a starter problem bro.

BGeorge01
07-31-2012, 11:22 AM
well I guess I will go buy a new one and see from there, if it does it after that I just take it back right lol. Does the flywheel just turn by hand to check those i take it?

ga-lsv05
07-31-2012, 11:39 AM
well I guess I will go buy a new one and see from there, if it does it after that I just take it back right lol. Does the flywheel just turn by hand to check those i take it?

Probably not going to be able to turn it by hand because your turning the engine over then you will be fighting the compression strokes

BGeorge01
07-31-2012, 12:11 PM

No, it's either the starter(rebuilts can still be bad) or the teeth are worn or broken off...It's most likely the starter...

So how do I check the teeth if it wont turn by hand all the way?

ga-lsv05
07-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Put a socket on the crank pulley and rotate with a ratchet or pull bar.

98Roo
07-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Put a socket on the crank pulley and rotate with a ratchet or pull bar.

The raw water pump covers the crank pulley bolt but I've noticed you can still spin the motor over using one of the allen bolts on the raw water pump flange. I'd pull all the spark plugs so there's no compression if you plan to do that.

You'll probably need a small mirror and a flashlight to get a look inside the starter hole at the flywheel teeth. Flywheel teeth could be stripped or, possibly but hopefully not, the ring gear could've separated from the flywheel.
The starter could still be bad, maybe you could take it back to get it tested to see if it's working correctly.

Stazi
07-31-2012, 03:23 PM
So how do I check the teeth if it wont turn by hand all the way?
Where in OH are you?

BGeorge01
07-31-2012, 07:36 PM
Where in OH are you?

Steubenville, right on the Ohio River.

Stazi
07-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Steubenville, right on the Ohio River.
That's a little too far from Detroit...

BGeorge01
07-31-2012, 09:31 PM
That's a little too far from Detroit...

Hahaha ya that's the Problem, where I'm at there is no shops of any kind close by so its either do it yourself or drive like 2 hours to someone that will work on inboards.

myster
08-01-2012, 06:45 AM
well now really it is a car engine, with basically a car starter!! You must have a mechanic who works on your vehicles!! I kinda doubt that your flywheel would be that messed up!!! A couple of things make me say this.......the starter was not working properly according to autozone right, I'm thinkin that it still isn't kickin out to engage the flywheel

moombadaze
08-01-2012, 07:22 AM
had a customer this last week with a tight budget (college girl), anyway her starter went out on her accord. it took 3 aftermarket starters before we got one that worked.

hope the flywheel is good and its just another bad starter

Stazi
08-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Yeah, go find another NEW starter and give it a shot.

BGeorge01
08-01-2012, 09:16 AM
well now really it is a car engine, with basically a car starter!! You must have a mechanic who works on your vehicles!! I kinda doubt that your flywheel would be that messed up!!! A couple of things make me say this.......the starter was not working properly according to autozone right, I'm thinkin that it still isn't kickin out to engage the flywheel

That is the same thing that I was thinking, but the problem lies that I dont have a mechanic, i just moved here from Nashville maybe 4 months ago and have not had the need for anything like this since being here. Now back in TN there was about 4 boat shops withing 30 minutes....not here. Back to the "car" mechanics, they wont touch it even after I tell them its a 5.7 chevy engine, parts stores even shy away as soon as i say marine. So i will try to do it myself (with the help of you guys and this forum) and if i cant figure it out then I will just have to make a drive.

Yeah, go find another NEW starter and give it a shot.

I think that is what i am going to try that way there are no questions about the starter.

wolfeman131
08-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Call Cynde @ Atlanta Marine - 678-541-6609. Tell her you got her info from the board and she will take care of you.

BGeorge01
08-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Call Cynde @ Atlanta Marine - 678-541-6609. Tell her you got her info from the board and she will take care of you.

thanks I will do that right now!

98Roo
08-01-2012, 08:55 PM
You need a marine starter. There is a difference between marine and automotive starters and alternators. Check around online too. I know skidim and bakes sells them too.

BGeorge01
08-02-2012, 03:25 PM
You need a marine starter. There is a difference between marine and automotive starters and alternators. Check around online too. I know skidim and bakes sells them too.

I know this may come off bad but could i just go to the parts store get a "regular"starter try it then if it turns over take it back then order the "marine" one? thedifference is just seals and what not correct?

beat taco
08-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Ran a car starter for 10 years but what do I know

98Roo
08-03-2012, 08:13 AM
I know this may come off bad but could i just go to the parts store get a "regular"starter try it then if it turns over take it back then order the "marine" one? thedifference is just seals and what not correct?

Yea you could do that but I would not run one for a while. They're sealed to keep sparks out of bilge.

wolfeman131
08-03-2012, 10:14 AM
And exploding the gas fumes! Be sure to run your blower and even open the engine hatch if you're using an auto starter.

BGeorge01
08-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Yea you could do that but I would not run one for a while. They're sealed to keep sparks out of bilge.

And exploding the gas fumes! Be sure to run your blower and even open the engine hatch if you're using an auto starter.

ya not looking for any of that trouble.....if that ends up being it maring all the way.

also got a new distributor cap/rotor yesterday because thought maybe it was not getting spark because it was a bit corroded....nope not it!!! haha going to go starter then fuel

beat taco
08-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Never used my blower on in 10 years either, but what do I know.

Stazi
08-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Crank the engine with the dizzy cap off. Does the rotor turn? If not, then the starter isn't cranking the engine. Simple check.

kanakry
08-03-2012, 01:12 PM
It is 100% the starter not engaging.

Perhaps not enough current being supplied to the starter to make the gear pop out and engage the flywheel.

BGeorge01
08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
It is 100% the starter not engaging.

Perhaps not enough current being supplied to the starter to make the gear pop out and engage the flywheel.

not enough current like charge the battery up or wiring problem?

ga-lsv05
08-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Get another starter. End of story

BGeorge01
08-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Get another starter. End of story

yup thats happening today or tom that way i can either be on the water or ruling it out

BGeorge01
08-06-2012, 08:25 PM
FIXED!!!! it was the key ignition. I went to advanced and got one earlier and now were running. I thought that it just didn't feel right, hard to put the key in and weird turning it to start the motor. I thought "hey its only $10" and BAMM!

Thanks for the help everyone, I didn't spend a ton of money and i sure learned a lot!!!

deerfield
08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
FIXED!!!! it was the key ignition. I went to advanced and got one earlier and now were running. I thought that it just didn't feel right, hard to put the key in and weird turning it to start the motor. I thought "hey its only $10" and BAMM!

Thanks for the help everyone, I didn't spend a ton of money and i sure learned a lot!!!

Good work. Now, be sure to run the blower -- every time -- before starting the engine.

ga-lsv05
08-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Don't want to rain on your parade but, the ignition switch only has 1 wire that goes to a relay that's either powered or off. Highly unlikely that this fixed your issue. But I hope it did. I would certainly keep my fingers crossed in hopes that your starter holds up