PDA

View Full Version : 08 outback running really rough

eseebeck
07-24-2012, 07:38 PM
i posted in the service secdtion that my outback with 160 or 165 hours started running really rough. backfiring and popping as i try to accelerate and pull up skiers. thought it would smooth out but got worse. any help

please, help help help.

i've heard that the computer that controls the motor will make it do this at certain intervals so that you travel to the authorized service center to get the computer cleared and the boat will then runn fine again.

any truth to that.

thanks

wolfeman131
07-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Read both posts and it sounds like the dreaded vapor lock since it's 100 degrees out, but I haven't heard of this happening with an Outback. You can try the cold water on the fuel filter/pump trick first. Open up the doghouse and run the blower, too.

Haven't read about that last part.

FamilyMatters
07-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Have you changed your Fuel Filter? Mine had Vapor Lock issues( Hot Day, Slow Speeds, Sputtering and Cutting out) and changing the filter on the water helped fuel flow. I took it to the dealer because a whining fuel pump persisted, and found I had a pinhole in the fuel line. Don't know if that helps. Dealer & Manufacturer will blame it all on ethanol. There was already ethanol in the fuel when it was manufactured in 2009. There is an additional fuel pump to add before the filter that is supposed to add pressure and help vapor lock issues. I saw it on the DIM website.

eseebeck
07-25-2012, 12:23 PM
whats the dim website, never been there. are you saying there are two fuel pumps. I'll change the filter and see if that helps I'll looks for other fuel line issues but not aware of two pumps

thanks

NCSUmoomba
07-25-2012, 12:49 PM
My 2001 Outback has had the vapor lock issue in the past. I now make sure I keep a cold water bottle set aside just in case it happens again.

However, since I have read some of the ethanol articles, I have begun adding Sta-Bil Marine ethanol treatment to my gasoline EVERY time I get gas. Since I have started doing this, I have not had any vapor lock issues, and it has been quite hot around here lately.

Mikey
07-25-2012, 11:09 PM
I recently had similar scenario ,but i think more than anything it was bad gas..I ended up syphoning my gas tank,adding seafoam,fresh gas ,checking fuel filter and changing plugs and now boat is running smooth and strong.

usaski1
08-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Where is the fuel filter? I see the two fuel pumps on the passenger side, but no fuel filter? must be at or near the tank. I have a problem with it taking longer than normal for it to turn over before it starts.. hot or cold, at random.

deerfield
08-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Where is the fuel filter?

On '07 Outback, access to fuel filter is through the rear storage compartment. Open the gull wing doors. Reach inside and remove screws holding the back panel in place. Lift the panel away. There is the fuel filter. Now, I gotta get back to watching Freddie Mercury perform at the Olympics closing ceremony.

usaski1
08-12-2012, 10:42 PM
Ah great! Thanks! Anyone else having that issue with the boat not wanting to start instantly?

THSEADOO
08-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Check your compression in each cylinder, possible stuck valve spring causing the issue.