PDA

View Full Version : HELP boat wont run and it is near 100 degrees

eseebeck
07-24-2012, 06:21 PM
my 08 outback started missing and wont run under power. acts like it is not firing on one plug. it was even "popping" as i tried to give it throttle. it has 164 hours of easy use and have never had a problem

what can i do to trouble shoot and find problem. nearest dealer is about 3 hours away and i am sure they are backed up for days and i can't go without my moomba for a day let alone longer

please help

eseebeck
07-24-2012, 07:32 PM
engine temp and oil pressure seem normal. throttle started surging just a little and i thought maybe it was from the throttle handle moving a little cause it was extremely rough water yesterday, then today the motor does this stuff as indicated above.

DOCDRS
07-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Has All the maintenance been kept up on the boat? Fuel filter? What motor does it have? Have plugs been changed?

eseebeck
07-24-2012, 09:14 PM
its a 325 hp assault. have only winterized it as instructed and changed the oil. wouldn't think it would need a fuel filter or plugs with only 165 hours??

I've had 4 other inboard boats and never had to do anything other than change the oil and one that i had hit 250 hours, i changed the "tranny" oil.

DOCDRS
07-24-2012, 09:57 PM
wouldn't think it would need a fuel filter or plugs with only 165 hours??

Lets see, you have had the boat since 2008. This is the boats 5th summer. I might ask why have you not replaced the fuel filter or the plugs, or the tranny fluid or the impeller? No, lets not, lets leave the easy stuff for the dealer and look for something harder first because old filters, and old plugs never make an engine run poor. Removing the plugs and looking at them can sometimes tell you how hot the cylinder has been running. Water in the filter due to gas tank condensation? What do you think its there for, and oh my they are soooo expensive? not saying this is your problem, but it is the first thing you need to do before looking for something more mechanical/electrical. Check all your ecm and electrical connections.

eseebeck
07-24-2012, 10:05 PM
you sound a little fascetious(sp?) I have replaced the impeller on the sea water pick up pump. But quite honestly did not thing 150 hours necessitated plugs and fuel filter. If you're telling me that i have negleted routine mainenance, I'm all ears.

I can pick up plugs and a fuel filter tomorrow and put them in, i just didn't think 150 hours was pushing the limits on these items. I guess since i never had any issues with past inboards and ran them similar hours per year, that stuff was good for more hours than i put on the boat.

Thanks for reminding me of the simple stuff and inexpensive!!

DOCDRS
07-24-2012, 10:14 PM
The plugs should be coffee brown on the porcelain, if they are white then the cylinder is too hot, if wet with gas the plug no firing , if black its fouling in short. If they are all coffee brown then its either fuel or electrical, so hope the filter is the culprit. The fuel filters should be replaced at a minimum of every other year depending on use, manual says yearly. Not sure what air cleaner you have but it should be cleaned at a minimum. I always start with the easy stuff first when everything has been running fine.

harmsway
07-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Check your fuel fuel pressure it should be 60 psi. Sounds like the fuel pump is giving up. I had the same problem last year with only a 140 hours on our boat.

eseebeck
07-25-2012, 12:21 PM
how do you check fuel pressure. what type of instrument would i need and where would i test the pressure?

I am pretty mechanical and could do it if i knew how

ga-lsv05
07-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Change the fuel filter. Same thing happened to my lsv. It's a cheap part to try as well

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

NCSUmoomba
07-25-2012, 12:59 PM
As mentioned in the other post, could be the vapor lock issue.

eseebeck
07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
do you mean the metal "canister" fuel filter. I have an outback direct drive and found the filter located at the stern of the boat in the storage compartment. Its in the line coming from the tank. there are two lines but only one has a filter.

I checked to make sure plug wires were all tight and connections looked good.

I am not familiar with the fuel pump on this boat. Is there a filter on the pump as well.

maxpower220
07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
I have an 08 Outback. Your fuel filter is a small (2") in line filter that is located in the rear ski locker. You must remove a few of the panels that are held in with about 6-8 screws. Loosen the clamps and replace the filter. There is no easy way to "see" if that was the problem.

I was having an issue that turned out to be the ignition key switch. I did go through the plugs and they looked fine. IMO, no need to change plugs unless they indicate a problem by appearance. I did find a lot of corrosion on the distributor cap and rotor, so I replaced them. That is located on top of the engine with all of the plug wires going to/from. It will take 2 torx screws to remove the cap and 1 to remove the rotor.

Your fuel pump does not have another removable filter (per say) and it is located on the passenger side of the engine, next to the tranny, in a low position. There is a screen filter, but I would not open the pump up to check it.

harmsway
07-25-2012, 04:19 PM
how do you check fuel pressure. what type of instrument would i need and where would i test the pressure?

I am pretty mechanical and could do it if i knew how

There is a schrader valve on the right fuel rail (driver side). You will nee an automotive fuel pressure tester and it takes the standard GM fuel pressure fitting. With switch on and engine off you should have 55-65 psi, then turn switch off it should only bleed down to 40-45 psi. With engine running and under load the fuel pressure should hold 60-65 psi. The fuel pump is not cheap $350.00 from dealer (not installed). I also did some other modifications to our fuel system before I ended up replacing the fuel pump. But the fuel pump was the fix to my problem that I had been chasing for about 50 running hours.

Link to my original thread: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16828-Hesitation-when-accelerating-and-loss-of-power

eseebeck
07-25-2012, 06:33 PM
alright here's the scoop. lots of research with indmar and service techs throughout michigan. Recommended service items are sea water pick up impeller, engine oil and tranny oil. other than those three things these engines should not require much maintenance until 300 + hours. That was a relief. Of course there are those occassional parts that malfunction but are not consistent from one engine to the next. The fuel filter was one of those and a few of the guys said theat they could be considered general maintenance and require replacement every three years or so, but may not require replacement up to 600 + hours of run time. I thought i was pretty deligent with things and when my boat started acting up I panicked. Thank goodness the techs that i called were too busy to get the boat in, they were sympathetic that i was such a long distance from them and appreciated the knowledge that i had in simple troubleshooting and repairs.

The common thought with my problem was the fuel filter andperhaps the fuel pump. Two of the techs made mention that these fuel pumps will "go soft" and not work effectively. Without a fuel pressure gauge, there is no way to tell. Additionally, a few guys mentioned running plenty of gas in the tank. With the fuel pump issues, thier thoughts were that the more fuel in the tank the more gravity pressure there would be supplying fuel to the pump as opposed to the pump working to suck the fuel to the pump.

So I added gas and replaced the filter. BINGO, Boat runs without issue (for now) If the issue rear it's nasty head again, I am afraid I'll be checking fuel pressure and replacing the fuel pump.

All in all an easy fix. quite a few phone calls but my expert boat maintenance stands as standard practice and reputable, certified and qualified marine service techs reassured me that 160 hours of use should not neccessitate any more than oil changes, tranny fluid change, sea water pick up impeller and perhaps a fuel filter.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and suggestions, I am back on the water and enjoying life as a MOOMBA owner.

I replaced the filter and added gas

motosno963
07-25-2012, 07:10 PM
if the problem returns and its the fuel pump, i say go online and find the pump you need..its a breeze to replace since its right on the side and all you do is pull the 2 fuel lines and the black and brown? wire..pluss i also found a pump for about 250-280? online and it saved me on price and labor to buy online and do it myself..working on my 04 is easier then i thought..even more so with the help of the guys on here giving you how to's and pics

DOCDRS
07-25-2012, 08:07 PM
The other item missed is check the alignment . its easy and way easy on an outback...... like the fuel filter, why wouldn't you?

Glad your back on the water, will be interesting to see if prob returns at low fuel.

maxpower220
07-25-2012, 08:57 PM
So, boat will not run very good without gas. Who knew.

eseebeck
07-26-2012, 09:11 AM
yeah who new ??

phospher
07-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Link to my original thread: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?16828-Hesitation-when-accelerating-and-loss-of-power

Hi, I read your thread.. there are reasons and laws for why boat fuel tanks are not pressurized.

Also, I have a 2008 Moomba Outback DD and when I bought mine with 86 hours the fuel pump actually was leaking a little bit at the threads where it meets the fuel line. A little plumbers tape and 3 years later and no problems yet..

chawk610
07-27-2012, 10:44 AM
No 100hr service?

eseebeck
08-01-2012, 02:54 PM
according to the folks at indmar, 100 hr service is a dealer preference. if oil is changed and boat is stored properly, there should not be aneed for 100 hr service or any other scheduled service. following the rec. service schedule in the manual is all that should be necessary if all systems operate as they were designed to.

There in lies the problem, we all know that parts fail before their expected and designed to.

According several 4 or 5 inboard service techs at different marinas in michigan, shaft alignment should remain as set at the factory unless there is a catostrophy, like hitting something in the water or a signifacant jarring to the boat, like an accident on the water or on the trailer.

That's what i learned from probable 20 phone calls and emails and 3 or 4 hours of discussion related to my fuel issue

DOCDRS
08-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I have to disagree about shaft alignment. It should be checked and aligned to within .003 or less. Period. To not do so is either lazy or they don't know how or just don't want to. They probably never get their tires balanced or rebalanced!