PDA

View Full Version : What's this ticking?

Cigars n scotch
07-22-2012, 09:22 PM
I'm sending this video to my dealer but figured I'd post it here to see if anyone has an idea.

There is a ticking sound you can hear in the area of the raw water pump housing and the pulley/belts at the back of my motor. Boat ran ok but there was definitely something odd.

This was on top of my battery draining dead and having to jump start it twice. Oh the joys of boat ownership!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3ve59g3bUw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Justin
Sent from my iPhone

TahitiVC
07-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Sounds like it might be an exhaust leak. Look for a blackened area around the exhaust manifolds

ga-lsv05
07-23-2012, 08:59 AM
Yep sounds like an exhaust leak to me as well. But its difficult to say listening on my phone.

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

BensonWdby
07-23-2012, 06:35 PM
Well if you consider the battery as a symptom - possibly an alternator issue? Or if there is an idler wheel for the belt - maybe the bearing on that? This coming from someone with zero mechanical expertise.

deepcove
07-24-2012, 12:32 AM
It could be a really small manifold gasket leak. Does the noise get worse / louder when you rev up your engine? I just had this happen to mine about 3 weeks ago....pretty easy to change out the manifold gasket if that is the problem.

myster
07-26-2012, 08:31 AM
I have also had this problem the first year I had the boat.....musta been a bad gasket or something, but since my Dealer was 4 hours away, this was the start of my doing all possible maintenance myself!! I had never done a job like this before and there were a few tricks to learn, but all went well and I've had no gasket problems since. Incidentally, there are two types of manifold gaskets that will work.......one is a one piece gasket for all ports on each side of the engine, but if u cant get that gasket for some reason, there are also individual port gaskets that will work. I know this as thats what I had to do. The individual gaskets are a little trickier to "drop" into place, at least on mine with those etx manifolds!!

Cigars n scotch
07-26-2012, 01:11 PM
ThAnks for the replies. I'm going to try and look at it on the trailer this weekend. For the gasket, any chance you have a picture of the area the gasket goes? My dad is much more mechanical than I and a boat owner so he'll probably know but it's always good to ask someone else.

myster
07-26-2012, 02:10 PM
I dont have a picture but there are 4 ports off each side each requiring a gasket between the block and manifold. There are long manifold bolts on each side as well and the gasket will "hook" on these bolts. ie when u r putting the manifold back on, u start the long bolts with the manifolds in place but dont tighten them. There will be room to drop the gasket in place before tightening everything up. The one piece gasket for all four ports is MUCH easier to use. The individual gaskets are tougher, well the two inside ones anyway were definately a challenge. This is my experience on my motor with the etx cat manifolds!!

Cigars n scotch
07-26-2012, 04:17 PM
I have the 340etx motor as well. Thanks, I'll follow up after we've taken some time to look at it and run it in the driveway.