PDA

View Full Version : Broken ballast fitting

aaroncat
07-22-2012, 01:15 AM
While on vacation last week the bilge came on way too often. Found out why when I got home and started emptying the boat. The bottom fitting on one of my rear 750lb bags is no longer in place. Its a little hard to see but one side of the fitting is flush against the bag while the other is pulled out at an angle. Looks like the bag might have shifted a bit and there was too much weight on the fitting.

Does anyone know how to repair this? I'm a little hesitatnt to just pull out and re-glue since there is probably damage to both the bag's and the fittings' threads.

deafgoose
07-22-2012, 01:26 AM
I had this happen once.

I used permanent PVC glue on both threads and it never leaked for years.

11 Outback V
07-22-2012, 07:52 AM
Heat the black part on the bag w a hair dryer for about 10-15 minutes to soften it up. Then you should be able to pop the fitting out. When it cools down check the threads on both pieces. If the are good just put some glue or silicoln sealer on it and thread it back in.

jmvotto
07-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Heat the black part on the bag w a hair dryer for about 10-15 minutes to soften it up. Then you should be able to pop the fitting out. When it cools down check the threads on both pieces. If the are good just put some glue or silicoln sealer on it and thread it back in.

Yep that should do it. There is a video on wakemakers that shows how pop the fittings as Todd states above.

aaroncat
07-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks for tip! I'll give it a shot today and let you know how I go.

aaroncat
07-24-2012, 12:07 AM
Worked great! Thanks guys!

squeeg333
07-30-2012, 04:21 PM
What kind of sealer do you guys recommend for these fittings? I've got some plumbing sealant that I was going to use - I'd prefer not to glue these fittings in if I can help it. But I've got a leak that I think is coming from the threads, so was thinking of using this non-hardening plumbing sealant. Thoughts?

04OUTBACK
07-30-2012, 05:53 PM
JMVOTTO
I had the bottom fitting blow out of the 650 i got from you this weekend. JUST as it got full! Noticed bilge running.. opend floor and it was 6"deep... emptied.. put it back in, refilled, and the TOP fitting blew out.. UGH.. I'll be gluing now. lazy didnt pay off!

jmvotto
07-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Uh ooh hopefully the glue will keep it from leaking. Sorry it got you black beauty a little wet.

Boonejeepin
07-30-2012, 08:09 PM
That was happening to both my stock v drive locket 400s. I glued the fittings with PVC glue and have not had one pop out since.

I think the engine heat had something to do with it. I've never had an issue with my 1100.

The down side is that the 400s fittings are there to stay. I don't want to remove them and risk damage.

jmvotto
07-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Boone, good thinking. The heat from the 345 motor on the x is much greater that the 325 on the obv.