PDA

View Full Version : New window tint installation = FAIL!!

E4NASH
07-21-2012, 04:20 PM
This was my post from the July Pic thread. Thought it should get its own thread in case it lead to a discussion...here goes...

Well, this isn't on the water but I felt like it was post worthy...tint guy just sent me this pic of my boat. He tinted my windows while the boat is in storage back home while we are on vacation in Florida. Now that's service!!

If you are in metro ATL and want your windows tinted call James at Tint Proz. www.TintProz.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so got back from vacation last night just went to check out the tint and this is what I find...

Driver side

Passenger side

I haven't paid him yet, was going to after I inspected it. I called him up and talked to him about it and his only solution he offered was to come back an take the tint off and I don't owe him. It looks good from the outside but when you are inside is when you notice everything. Also looks like his blade botched up the black rubber along the window. Me being an anal perfectionist I don't think I can handle it. I asked if he could redo the driver side and we he square but haven't heard anything back from him yet.

Anyone else have a problem like this? Can others with tinted windows post some pics of the inside of their windows?

UGH! So disappointed! I was REALLY excited about this.

jpetty3023
07-21-2012, 04:29 PM
I asked you to send him my way in the earlier thread you posted but now you can go ahead and keep him. Sorry for your bad luck big E, hopefully he resolves it. I can't see the pics you just threw up by the way, it's a bunch of white boxes with a red ? mark

E4NASH
07-21-2012, 05:04 PM
I can see the pics from both my iPhone and on the PC. On the PC you have to click on the attachment.

ga-lsv05
07-21-2012, 05:06 PM
We have a guy here that tinted my boat and all my cars does a great job and warranties it. Although after my boat he said he never do another one lol

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

jpetty3023
07-21-2012, 05:08 PM
I'm on tapatalk both iPhone and iPad and nothing....strange

Sent from my home phone..

KSmith
07-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Same here, can't open pics, throws an invalid attachment error

E4NASH
07-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Let's try this again...

E4NASH
07-21-2012, 05:24 PM

E4NASH
07-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Now I gotta figure out a way to get this ghetto fabulous stuff off!!

wolfeman131
07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
That sucks! Dont have his number with me (Im on the lake now) but the best tint man in Metro ATL is Barry Wood. Lives by me so you can drop the boat, we can grab lunch and then you can pick it up & head home.

KRAK
07-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Don't rip it off yet! I'll take some pics of how I fixed the same problem on mine.

jpetty3023
07-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Pics posted good this time but your right, that looks terrible

Sent from my home phone..

KRAK
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
1/2 inch black pinstripe installed on the outside.
It's worked so far and still looks good.
IMO.

rdlangston13
07-21-2012, 07:25 PM
ha you just think yours looks bad! you should see the gaps around mine!!!!

i didnt pay to have mine done though. it was on there when i bought the boat

jmb
07-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Damn, sorry to hear about that ENash. Thats a bite

WaterBullDawg1980
07-21-2012, 10:55 PM
Aww man! That SUCKS! I can't believe he left it like that. WTH! Mine didn't turn out like that at all. No bubbles. Not even one. I'm sure he would make it right but if not I second Barry. He has done all my cars since I was 16. He lives right off Web Ginn House Rd in Grayson.

Just sent you a text by the way.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

wolfeman131
07-21-2012, 11:13 PM
Anybody in the ATL that need boat tint should call this dude: Barry Wood @ 404.392.8007

moombadaze
07-22-2012, 06:27 PM
Eric, sucks but it can be fixed, thats how mine looked too when it was done. the gaps and being hard to see out made it not worth it. Simple to peel right off.

Try the pin strip on the outside of the glass or remove the glass and have it tinted and then reinstall the glass and you wont have any gaps. Boats windshields are much harder to work that auto glass due to the driver dash giving almost no room to work

E4NASH
07-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Yeah this cat isn't returning calls or text messages. I'm callin my storage facility tomorrow to get my code changed because if he goes up there to peel it off I'm going to be there while he does it! I can't believe he would do that and leave it like that! When I met him he was all saying he stands by his work and is a moral type of guy, takes pride in his work etc... WHATEVER!! So PISSED whenever I think about it! If I have to take the windows off just to get a good tint job then forget it...

Krak, did you get that edge vinyl cut at a sign shop? If he/I don't peel it off I may try that. But all I do know is it will NOT stay like that!

wolfeman131
07-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Dude, just get ya some electrical tape and be

GHETTO-TASTIC!

E4NASH
07-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Dude, just get ya some electrical tape and be

GHETTO-TASTIC!

Might as well bust out some Duct tape...1001 uses...

KRAK
07-23-2012, 12:30 AM
Krak, did you get that edge vinyl cut at a sign shop? If he/I don't peel it off I may try that. But all I do know is it will NOT stay like that!

I went to a local auto body paint store. Measure your widest gap and pick a pinstripe tape that will cover it. They had lots of different widths to pick from.
Take your time applying it and you'll be happy with the results.

wolfeman131
07-23-2012, 12:40 AM
man, I was hoping KRAK didn't come back at me saying he used electical tape and was mad at me. If I remember right, he's like 6'8" and could squash me like a bug. I got enough problems and don't need an angry Canadian after me! :)

KRAK
07-23-2012, 09:23 AM
Good memory Wolfeman, and us Canadians don't get mad...unless we're drinking.

bergermaister
07-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Good memory Wolfeman, and us Canadians don't get mad...unless we're drinking.

They don't get mad - they get EVEN :p

myster
07-23-2012, 02:45 PM
And we are often drinking!!!!!!

E4NASH
07-23-2012, 03:05 PM
UPDATE....

So the tint guy just called me. I guess since our initial conversation on Saturday he had time to think. He apologized for leaving it that way and said that he is not happy with how that turned out either and that he can't leave it that way with his name on it. He has offered to come take the tint off at a time that is convenient for him (when he has an appointment out by my storage facility). He also said that I could keep the tint on and he won't charge me for it and said that the film supplier he gets his film from also has tape specifically to cover the gaps and he said he would send that to me if I wanted free of charge. I guess I am going to leave the tint on and try the route KRAK suggested with the tape. If that works then I guess, although it won't be PERECT, I'll have free tint job. If it doesn't work then I'll just peel it. I appreciate him calling me back and trying to make it right but I still just don't get how mine turned out so poorly and WBG's turned out so great...oh well...now begins the frustrating task of cutting and lining up tape, FUN TIMES!

mmandley
07-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Dam man,

Theres only one good way to tint the windshields and thats to take them off the boat and take them out of the frame. I assume he treated it like a car window and cut the tape from the outside of the window and tried to lay it inside, but realizing the seals on the windows arnt the exact same size from outside to inside.

They used a black marker on the couple edges it wasnt exactly even on. Not the best idea but you cant see it unless you know where to look.

Glad hes standing up and wants to fix it.

best way to get window tint off is spray it with water, tape a plastic bag over it and let it sit outside where its warm, the humidity will release the glue and you you can peel it right off.

soschic4eva
07-26-2012, 12:38 AM
I have a guy that does everything car, trucks boats ect.. does awesome work and stands behind it. He is in Carrolton Ga if the drive is not too far I'll pass on his info... He does do house calls or closer calls sometimes due to tinting home windows just let me know.

I posted pic of it although there is dew all over the windows and boat but its something

soschic4eva
07-26-2012, 12:48 AM
I have a guy that does everything car, trucks boats ect.. does awesome work and stands behind it. He is in Carrolton Ga if the drive is not too far I'll pass on his info... He does do house calls or closer calls sometimes due to tinting home windows just let me know.

I posted pic of it although there is dew all over the windows and boat but its something

E4NASH
07-28-2012, 11:15 AM
So , I used Krak's suggestion of pinstripe tape and I think it turned out pretty well! Time will tell how well the tape stays stuck. Its not PERFECT but for right now it's a major improvement!

WaterBullDawg1980
07-28-2012, 03:50 PM
It actually looks really good man. I would be happy. What kind of tape did you use?

jpetty3023
07-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Looks real good after the DIY. Especially good if the tint dude refunded your money and all you are out is for the pin striping

E4NASH
07-28-2012, 07:06 PM
It actually looks really good man. I would be happy. What kind of tape did you use?

Thanks, So far I'm happy as long as the tape holds up. I found some pinstriping tape from an auto body shop supplier on eBay. I got 150 feet of 1/2" tape for about $17.

Looks real good after the DIY. Especially good if the tint dude refunded your money and all you are out is for the pin striping

Yeah the tint guy let me keep it on there for no charge so all I'm out is the tape...pretty good deal!

DOCDRS
07-28-2012, 07:41 PM
Always nice to see a :( get turned around :)

KRAK
07-29-2012, 01:14 AM
So , I used Krak's suggestion of pinstripe tape and I think it turned out pretty well! Time will tell how well the tape stays stuck. Its not PERFECT but for right now it's a major improvement!

Great job! Told ya it would work.

Not a singe spot on mine has started to peel, yet, but I'll let you know if it does.

And it probably is perfect if you can't tell from 5 feet away....

E4NASH
07-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Ok well then I guess it is perfect because you can't tell unless you REALLY look at it and definitely can't from 2-5 feet away. So good call...thanks for the suggestion. We went out yesterday and we LOVE the tinted windows. Looks great with the black on our boat.

rdlangston13
07-29-2012, 11:00 AM
i need me some of this tape! did you put it on the outside or inside of the windows and did it make the curves easily?

E4NASH
07-29-2012, 09:01 PM
i need me some of this tape! did you put it on the outside or inside of the windows and did it make the curves easily?

Yeah, it curves no problem and it goes on the outside of the window along the edge. When you look at it, it really just looks like an extension of the seal or part of the frame. It actually looks REALLY good.

Hit up eBay and search pinstripe tape...

KRAK
07-29-2012, 10:56 PM
So where are the pics of it and the tint floating in the water????
http://img.tapatalk.com/32639766-f797-afba.jpg
This is from today.

E4NASH
07-30-2012, 08:28 AM
No pics from this weekend...I'll get some next time we are out. Maybe a couple weeks as my schedule has just filled up... :-(