PDA

View Full Version : Watch your voltage.

Salyers
07-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Getting an alternator replace on the MoJo. Voltage started spiking in anything other than neutral. I mean off the gauge! Mechanic said he tested it in the shop and it was running 17-18! It was making the amps cut off when it started to mess up. Also had a high pitched noise coming from engine compartment and check engine light. All of it related to the alternator.

Hope to have her back this weekend!

wolfeman131
07-19-2012, 06:19 PM
I really hope that isn't the noise Ive been getting when I shift the boat back to neutral. When were you hearing the noise?

I'm guessing that is a warranty repair?

Any indication if something caused it, or just a bad part?

Salyers
07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
Yeah it's covered under warranty. I am hoping it was a bad part. I am sure it would have fried the whole electrical system and the batteries. Was hard to pinpoint the noise but it seemed like it was coming from the engine compartment.

wolfeman131
07-19-2012, 06:51 PM
Frickin, frackin, frickity frack!

Another thing to check this weekend. Was the niise constant or intermittent?

mmandley
07-19-2012, 08:17 PM
Sounds like the Regulator went bad, its what keeps the voltage at 14.4 max but allows the Amps to range up and down depending on the load.

The noise should be intermitant, it would make the noise when the regulator is shorting out because it tells the alternator to run wide open, this strains the alternator and causes a huge load on it and draws exessive power off your engine, causing the belts and other pully's on that belt loop to also be stressed.

wolfeman131
07-19-2012, 08:24 PM
Mike,

Can you tell me where and how to check the regulator? Is it even possible to do?

mmandley
07-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Mike,

Can you tell me where and how to check the regulator? Is it even possible to do?

Its an internal part in the alternator, the only way to truly test it is with a Tester such as at autozone but they have to have the boat running.

Redneck way <the way i do it> is just take a DVM <digital voltage meter> ground one terminal to the engine, take the Red and place it on the bolt on the back of the alternator, that your battery wire connects, as you rev the boat you will actually see the voltages change, you can also set it to amps but i cant recall the method at the alternator.

Basically as long as your Voltage gauge on the dash is Steady 12-14V all the time your alternator is doing fine.

wolfeman131
07-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks! I'll give it a check.