PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone Services: Boost Mobile

maxpower220
07-18-2012, 08:51 AM
I just wanted to pass along my cell phone experiences and maybe save you some money. I have had a cell phone through differenct services for a long time. Like many, I was with Verizon for a long stint and they have excellent service on the phones and a great selection of phones. My wife is a home health care nurse and uses her phone a lot. I had to keep raising the number of minutes with Verizon to the point that our bill was outragous.

So, I moved over to Boost Mobile about 2 years ago. My wife's phone is provided by her company now (Verizon). With Boost (and all prepaid companies), you must buy the phone. There are no upgrades or free phones with service. The most expensive phone right now is $300. Prepaid services mean a few things: No Contracts, start, stop or whatever you want at anytime. It also means that if your phone does a service, then it has already been paid for, no extra charges. While I travel some out of the country, if the phone works in that country then its already paid for. No roaming, etc. I have an account set up that pays my bill every month, exactly like Verizon/Sprint/Att. From every aspect as an owner, the phone and its service is exactly like Verizon.

Boost uses Sprint/Nextel towers for their service. So, your coverage will be dependant on that. I have found the towers to give very good coverage. Verizon is a little bit better. If you check around, you can find what prepaid companies use for their towers. MetroPCS uses Verizon, etc.

The best part: I signed up for the unlimited smartphone plan when I got my phone. It was $50/month. Boost has something called "Shrinkage", which means that every 6 on time payments, Boost will reduce your bill by $5. Down to a minimum of $35/month. There new services start at $55/month for smart phones.

I now pay $35/month for unlimited phone service (talk/text/message/web). I have a Galaxy android phone with 3G service. I am going to upgrade my phone soon to the HTC Evo 4 G soon, but the phone is kind of expensive. I'll wait til the price comes down in a month. If you have good Sprint coverage, I can highly recommend Boost as a company that will save you money on your cell phone bill. Hope this helps. No, I don't work for Boost.

sandm
07-18-2012, 09:41 AM
Sorry, but i hate shrinkage.... :)

kaneboats
07-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I've been looking at the prepaids lately b/c my contract is up in Sept. I've been with Sprint for 2 years and was Verizon before that. With 4 phones it's over $200/mo. I'm not doing it anymore. There's wifi in so many places now that kids don't NEED 3g or 4g phones. I certainly don't need it either. Might flash my current Evo to Boost and go prepaid though. I always pay on time and I saw that deal.

moombadaze
07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
something to think about especial with no contract

lsvboombox
07-18-2012, 11:40 AM
For 35 does that include data services?

Unlimited data, texts and calls for 35?

maxpower220
07-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Unlimited talk, text, data......anything that the phone can do. Now, $35 is after 18 months of on time payments. It now starts at $55 for everything and then every 6 months, the price goes down $5. After 18 months, your bill will be $40/month.

Although Boost changed the plan rate, they did not change mine (grandfathered in or something).

WaterBullDawg1980
07-22-2012, 09:55 AM
Man that is really a good deal. I will mention that while the pre paid carriers do piggy back off the big carriers networks, its important to know that they only use a PORTION of them not all of them. Especially in Metro PCS's case. So the coverage is definitely limited. That being said it may work out perfect for most that don't travel outside your "NFL cities". $35 a month compared to what I pay Verizon makes me think very hard about switching. I switched to Verizon from T-Mobile BC of the increased service. Never happened. While the coverage area increased (barely) the reception quality is much better on TMobile than Verizon on everyone's phone. And I pay $60 a month more.

Good for you for finding a deal that works for you. I am a big supporter of saving money anytime you can. As you can imagine the boat fits in a different philosophy of mine. :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

C.Hern5972
07-22-2012, 10:29 AM
I've been looking as well. Heck we pay over 200 right now for 2 phones with 1400 minutes and unlimited data. Absolutely crazy. I've looked at boost before. Might have to do it now

kaneboats
07-23-2012, 03:20 PM
You might look at sprint. They should be able to get you to about 120 easy with unlimited data.

jpetty3023
07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
I've been looking as well. Heck we pay over 200 right now for 2 phones with 1400 minutes and unlimited data. Absolutely crazy. I've looked at boost before. Might have to do it now

79.99 for unlimited everything with sprint. Go get signed up

maxpower220
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
I only have experience with Boost, I am sure that many of the other carriers have similar plans, services, and pricing. Just thought I would bring up my experience with a money saver. I am not on my phone a lot and only use the web a few times a week. I know that I was leary of Boost/Metro/etc until I tried. Worst thing is to try and not like it. Then you are only out the price of the phone (which you could resell). I'm sure Verizon/Sprint/Att will welcome anyone back if it doesn't work out for you.

C.Hern5972
08-03-2012, 06:57 AM
So how is the reception, Internet Connections?? I too am curious as i have thought about saving some money.

kaneboats
08-03-2012, 11:46 AM
Got another question for you guys. My contract is up next month. I have recently (in the last 9 mos.) purchased used but better phones for all 4 of us that use them because the original ones did not last the full 2 years (no surprise there). I don't really want to re-up b/c the currenly available new phones, while slightly better than what we have, would be largely not better b/c we only have 3g around here with Sprint and there's no 4g in sight for a while (and [I]t would be another $100 or so per new phone). Has anyone successfully negotiated a price drop for month to month service after the contract is up?

I don't see why I should continue to pay full price which included paying for subsidized phone purchases after the normal contract period has expired. I know I could go over to Boost but I'd have to flash all of our phones and I don't have a cheap way to do that.