PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother is Watching - crap, found me!

bergermaister
07-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Every so often I'll play around with Google Maps, Earth, etc. to scope out areas we are planning to go camping or boating and I'll usually take a peak at our other regular spots too. Since they never used to date stamp the satellite imagery I've always wondered how up-to-date they are. A friend does the same thing and she pointed this out to me over the weekend.

Lady Island on the Columbia River
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/ggl-1.jpg

There are a few boats on that stretch of beach with the little cove. Looks kind of familiar.
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/ggl-2.jpg

Holy crap! That's us!
Mine is the one on the left nosed in. The black swim platform with the yellow border gives it away. We must have been unloading gear or people. I can see my yellow buoy and yellow anchor line going up to the beach. That is also my tan colored popup in front of another family's blueish popup. That's their big fun island. Another buddy's wave runner off in the middle and his Malibu on the far right nosing in towards their camp.
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/ggl-3.jpg

Here's the full size: http://s326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/?action=view&current=ggl-3.jpg

Well apparently now they do date stamp stuff - that was August 20, 2011 around 10am or so! I had played hookie from work Thur and Fri. We were on the river every day from about 10am-10pm Thursday-Sunday. Some friends came out and camped. We just left our stuff, went home for the night, and back out each day for 4 days in a row. Kinda cool - but still kinda spooky...

jpetty3023
07-16-2012, 01:51 PM
Hopefully your bosses don't know all your personal little details such as rope color and tent color!!

wolfeman131
07-16-2012, 01:52 PM
and, in checking the time stamp of your post today, you are again playing some sort of hookie?

sandm
07-16-2012, 03:08 PM
cool.....
at least they didn't catch you tossin the aluminum back or you and the missus "enjoying" your time on the water :)

jester
07-16-2012, 03:48 PM
hahah that is great. You need to watch out since Google/facebook have made stocking people so anyone can do it.

bergermaister
07-16-2012, 06:13 PM
and, in checking the time stamp of your post today, you are again playing some sort of hookie?

Monday morning doldrums... I keep thinking I should be independently wealthy by now and be on the water every day the sun is shining. Then the phone rings and I wake up and notice the little puddle of drool on my desk.

This is also why I'll probably turn down any company cell phone in the future and opt to just use my own. I have tracking setup on my account with my kids so I can get a pretty accurate map reading where they are whenever I want. Could just see the company doing that to me when I call in sick. Little blue dot showing up in the middle of the river...

jester
07-17-2012, 12:51 PM
You do bring up a good point on what a company can do. Kind of crazy. In a medical center most of them now have RFID badges that let you into rooms and different parts of the buildings. Well they can also track were the badge is at in the building. Same technology used to track product in a warehouse except you are the product. Your boss really can become big brother now a days.

tnbrooks01
07-17-2012, 01:46 PM
If using the google earth it has a date stamp. Google maps using the "satellite/earth" tab doesn't have a date stamp. Not sure why because in most cases it's the same imagery.

If your snooping around you can find some instances where earth will have a brand new image layer where maps hasn't been
Updated yet.

Pretty cool stuff nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bergermaister
07-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Yep - I use google maps more than earth and am used to not seeing the date stamp. Was surprised to see it on Earth.

Here's the "beach view" of that spot, probably on the same day!

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k414/grberglund/MoombaMobiusV/P1070988.jpg

mmandley
07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
WOW,

This is last summer at our house, you can see Black Betty, and Fierah in the driveway, Claudia's old car.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu114/mmandley/home.png

diggs
07-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Berg......
I am another Berg down in Portland. Have never been to that spot. Looks pretty cool. We are going to be on the Columbia this weekend. Probably around Goverment/Lemon Island. Hoping that sand bar just west of the island has popped up, but I have a feeling the water is still too high. We will have at least a few Supra's in the group. Let me know if you will be in the area and stop by and give a shout. Mike, you should get out there and hook up as well. We will just be out for a bit on Saturday, but will be out all day on Sunday with a good group. You probably wont miss us.

mmandley
07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
Berg......
I am another Berg down in Portland. Have never been to that spot. Looks pretty cool. We are going to be on the Columbia this weekend. Probably around Goverment/Lemon Island. Hoping that sand bar just west of the island has popped up, but I have a feeling the water is still too high. We will have at least a few Supra's in the group. Let me know if you will be in the area and stop by and give a shout. Mike, you should get out there and hook up as well. We will just be out for a bit on Saturday, but will be out all day on Sunday with a good group. You probably wont miss us.

Diggs, the same Diggs of PDX? LOL Ive been trying for 3 years bro to get out there on a Sunday, Mrs just doesnt like the river, I might have to tell her to shut up and be happy were going out on a Sunday LOL. This weekend is the NW Moomba Yearly Camping trip so wont happen, might be able to get together another weekend, im always looking for a good spot on Sundays where the water is decent enough to Surf and board some, Hagg is always trashed on Sundays.

Jet
07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Thats funny..I mean scary!! Right! Heres mine. I am acutually in the photo at my x-wifes house and so is Lil andrew and my old jeep. Or go here and click on street view if you want to look around.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=3015+primrose+dallas&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x864c2707d6343f7d:0xff4873dbe9ee34ba,3015+P rimrose+Ln,+Dallas,+TX+75234&gl=us&ei=pysIUPyhE4Xy2QXd5dnlBA&sqi=2&ved=0CAUQ8gEwAA

kaneboats
07-19-2012, 12:11 PM
I was looking at some real estate listings yesterday and decided to google map the address to see if the garage was really a 3 car and had good access, etc. I went to street view and was looking at the shots from across the street. I made it pan left and it showed the neighbors yard where a guy was bending over mooning the camera. LOL!!

diggs
07-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Yeah mike it is me.... One of these days we will get you out. Easy to find good surfing water on the river. We usually surf down town on the Willamette...

bergermaister
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Berg......

Hey Berg, uh, Diggs!-

When the river cooperates we usually hit Lemon island on the airport side a lot as I prefer the launch at Van Port over the Camas/Washougal marina and we can always find nice water, beach to drop gear, kids, dogs, etc. However last weekend when I went over the 205 bridge the trees are still touching the water so I doubt that sand bar is showing itself yet nor any beach for that matter.

Doubt I'll be on the water this weekend as I've got 20yr HS class reunion stuff going on, taking delivery of a hot tub, and prepping to leave for a week long camping trip. So much for a relaxing weekend...

Let me know next time you have a group out there and I'll see if we can make it!

motosno963
07-20-2012, 12:49 PM
i was at work and was going to show my buddy where i lived when i was in the army...low and behold i saw my truck sitting out front of my old room..crazy cool haha (top of pic, i have the red and tan truck in the front row facing the road)