PDA

View Full Version : need some advice

FargoDawg
07-16-2012, 10:17 AM
I have a buddy asking about this boat, I am relatively new to boating and hadnt heard of Epic up here in the hinter lands. I advised him to look for an LSV and this thing popped up.

thanks in advance for the opinions, I have nothing to offer him

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/boa/3140534719.html

looks like a nice boat

bergermaister
07-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Looks pretty sharp but for a 2001 I'd be wondering where the nearest dealer is as these don't seem to be very common and I wouldn't want to be going 1,000 miles for parts or service...

Other than that I'd inspect it like any other boat for wear and tear items to negotiate on price. If not an option have them send lots of pics.

FamilyMatters
07-16-2012, 11:49 AM
The Toyota Epic was a great Boat with the Lexus Small V-8 that got incredible Fuel Economy but I think they had some severe malfunctions that killed the brand.( I looked at one before I found my Moomba) They only produced for like 3 years. The One in the picture is not the one in the ad, the one pictured is the New Epic Brand which started production in 2005. I don't know that is it intentionally misleading but either the info in the ad is wrong or the pictures are of another boat. I didn't purchase because there was no dealer support and parts were only going to be made available for 10 years 2013 by Toyota.
Peace
Darren

FamilyMatters
07-16-2012, 11:58 AM
OK it may be the right Boat, and they have just put New Graphics from the Different brand. The Vents on the back corner were in the Toyota Boat I looked at. The Safety Issue they had was the Steering Locking up under power. Certainly would do a lot of research on Isssues and Parts availability, before purchasing.

My 2 Cents

Hoopskier
07-16-2012, 12:12 PM
I recall the Epic brand. It was manufactured by Toyota, using one of their engines. I dont have any experience with one, but did read some about them. Only made a few years. They had a hull issue, from a bad mold. Their engine was slightly more fuel efficent but didnt pack the punch the others did.

If serious about that boat, I would research it. Its a brand no longer made. I wouldn't buy into any hype that its made by Toyota. If Toyota was that good at making and selling boats, they still would.

maxpower220
07-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Due to parts availability and cost, I could not recommend it to anyone. If the boat had Indmar/PCM/Mercruiser, then it would be a different story, maybe. Sorry, but $23K for a 12 yr old boat that was only made for a few years wouldn't make it on to any "list" of boats that I would make for myself. There are a lot of options in that price range, from boats that are still made (MC, Bu, SC, CC).

Toyota spent a lot of money on several different ventures in the early 2000s. Noteable, they all failed (or are in the process of failing). Toyota joined Formula 1 racing and spent more money than any other team for years. Some say that they spent more than all of the minor teams combined (i.e. not Ferrari, MB, or Williams). Left racing with no titles. Marine engines, no longer being made. Scion will be gone with 5-7 yrs, according to Car and Driver it is a money losing division.

sandm
07-16-2012, 02:12 PM
for all the statments listed above, I would walk on that deal...
too many other boats out there from larger marine dealers that will be there to support their products down the road..

KSmith
07-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Agreed ^^^^ pass on it. The molds evidently had some problem and they can chine lock, which basically means you lose steering.