PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lock

snyderaaron
07-13-2012, 09:48 AM
Is there anyway I can lock my trailer so it doesn't get taken while im gone? Im just a paranoid person that is trying to be safe. Let me know if there's anything I can do

jmvotto
07-13-2012, 09:52 AM
try this.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Trailer-Accessories/Trailer-Couplers-Locks%7C/pc/104794380/c/104781780/sc/104642280/TRIMAX8482-UMAX50-Trailer-Lock/701476.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboati ng-boating-trailer-accessories-trailer-couplers-locks%2F_%2FN-1100656&WTz_l=SEO%3Bcat104642280

do you have as swing away tonge?, if you do you can just put a master lock in the hole part.

mnpracing
07-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I use these, all at the same time:

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Rackem/RA-25.html

http://www.etrailer.com/Locks/Diversi-Tech/DT25013.html

and i put a padlock through the hole in the coupler where a pin normally goes through (the pin that's attached to the trailer)

Salyers
07-13-2012, 09:54 AM
I use a gun lock that goes where the pin on the ball hitch normally goes. I never take it off. I have heard of trailers getting stolen at boat ramps but not sure how often this actually happens. I also have a lock on the hitch that I got from Walmart. I have the keys to the locks on the boat keys and the truck keys.

hans
07-13-2012, 06:26 PM
If I didn t but an "amplock" my insurance didn t want to ensure my boat.....amplock are very expensive and supposed to be almost unbreakable.

lsvboombox
07-13-2012, 10:05 PM
Guardian g44

Only way to go

http://arostrailersupplies.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2412

phospher
07-15-2012, 10:47 AM
those master locks are mostly security theater. I can pick most in just a minute or two. better than nothing? perhaps..but if someone wants your trailer it's gone.

Cigars n scotch
07-15-2012, 05:20 PM
those master locks are mostly security theater. I can pick most in just a minute or two. better than nothing? perhaps..but if someone wants your trailer it's gone.

I dont get your post. The OP was asking about suggestions on what people use for trailer locks, and your reply was "i can pick a masterlock in 2 minutes". Well I can bolt cut a masterlock in 3 seconds, what's your point? Unless your a locksmith, the avg. joe thief doesn't know much about how to pick a masterlock or any lock of that matter and is going to use brute force to get it, but again it's more than likely broad daylight and I don't think you're wandering up to someone's truck and trailer with your lock picking equipment and sneakingly bending down to work on the lock. Does it happen? Sure. Is it likely, no.

Yes, it is as you say "security theather", a.k.a. visual theft deterrent. It's better to have something rather than not and make it damn easy to just unhitch your trailer and it's gone.

If someone wants anything bad enough there's a good chance they'll get it. I just dont get why you contributed with that?

FWIW I use a simple masterlock.

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sandm
07-15-2012, 05:59 PM
but if someone wants your trailer it's gone.

no amount of security will prevent if they want it bad enough. the idea of security it just to keep the "opportunity" thieves at bay..

I use a lock through the hitch clasp, but if I was leaving it outside, I'd pull the swing pin and put another lock through that..

I've always worried more about someone stealing the audio gear than the boat/trailer, but not sure that most young thieves know how much gear is really in some of these boats much less how to find it..

wolfeman131
07-16-2012, 12:34 AM
if someone wants your trailer it's gone.

Ha! My wife has a 21 pt checklist for securing all the stuff at the lakehouse when we leave. I always teller that we are just deterring the "honest thieves."

Stazi
07-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I've had a trailer stolen from my old marina a few years ago. It was a Dual Axle Aluminum Loadmaster and boy was I pissed.
Now I lock my Moomba trailer with one of these:
http://www.toolup.com/masterlock_379atpy_trailer-coupler-lock.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=paid_search&utm_campaign=paid_search_google_pla&scid=scplp1065530&gclid=CKeUn8ernrECFQhN4AodKhwN9w
as well as a padlock through the hole that locks the flip up latch on the coupler itself.

phospher
07-16-2012, 11:50 AM
I dont get your post. The OP was asking about suggestions on what people use for trailer locks, and your reply was "i can pick a masterlock in 2 minutes". Well I can bolt cut a masterlock in 3 seconds, what's your point? Unless your a locksmith, the avg. joe thief doesn't know much about how to pick a masterlock or any lock of that matter and is going to use brute force to get it, but again it's more than likely broad daylight and I don't think you're wandering up to someone's truck and trailer with your lock picking equipment and sneakingly bending down to work on the lock. Does it happen? Sure. Is it likely, no.

Yes, it is as you say "security theather", a.k.a. visual theft deterrent. It's better to have something rather than not and make it damn easy to just unhitch your trailer and it's gone.

If someone wants anything bad enough there's a good chance they'll get it. I just dont get why you contributed with that?

FWIW I use a simple masterlock.

Justin
2008 Supra 21V
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My point was that it's not worth thinking about much nor spending much time or money on cause if someone wants your trailer it's gone.

parrothd
07-16-2012, 11:58 AM
My point was that it's not worth thinking about much nor spending much time or money on cause if someone wants your trailer it's gone.

Yep, those hitch locks are easily by passed by using the chain/cables already on the trailer, just wrap them around enough to drive off.. :) The wheel lock is probably the only thing that would be effective, at least make someone think twice and move onto someone else...Best to over insure it..

89PROSTAR
08-21-2012, 05:59 PM
A little late...but I found this....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HitchMate-2-Hitch-Lock-and-2.5-Trailer-Lock-Set/16318400

http://www.masterlock.com/products/product_details/1471DAT#Specifications

motosno963
08-21-2012, 06:37 PM
i had one of those master lock pins for my hitch..lost the key so i had a guy cut the pin for me..it was a little tight but we got it off haha

kaneboats
08-22-2012, 09:36 AM
I noticed the other day my license plate ("tag" for you rural guys) was gone off my trailer. The little bolts/nuts were still there so I think it just ripped off somehow. Maybe I'm ripping the boat out of the water too fast with the two wheel drive Chevy.

wolfeman131
08-22-2012, 10:21 AM
doubt it. I bet some fool stole it at the launch while you were on the river.

kaneboats
08-22-2012, 12:21 PM
If so, it was nice of him to put the little bolts and nuts back on.

skiyaker
08-22-2012, 12:47 PM
I used to have a trailer lock but one time i couldn't find the key to it so i cut through it with a dremel. What I've done instead is make the trailer less attractive by having some butthole back into it at the marina. It completely crushed one of my retractable tiedowns. Of course the guy didn't leave a note or anything and when I found the offender's rig I was tempted to drop a duce on his trailer tongue.

wolfeman131
08-22-2012, 01:21 PM
I was tempted to drop a duce on his trailer tongue.

THAT, good Sir, would have been funny to watch when the offending jackleg got back to his rig after a long day on the water.

moombadaze
08-22-2012, 05:03 PM
lock on the coupler in the closed position
remove pin for swivel tounge and put locking pin in holes with tounge folded back
wrap cable lock around one tire thru frame

make it be a pain in the ass so that if the trailer next to ya is unsecured and easy, that will be the one to get jacked.

make sure insurance is up to date and hope for the best, cause if someone wants it bad enough, its gone

z28ke
08-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Maybe I'm ripping the boat out of the water too fast with the two wheel drive Chevy.

Chevy's will do that, seriously. Happened on my old mastercraft trailer haha