PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass

rsinger
07-13-2012, 08:52 AM
After a couple of years of hummin and hawin, I finally took the plunge. Should be here next week, and hopefully installed....... next week. Just as well, the wife is just getting her boaters license.

A friend of my got one for his mxxxbu and said the install was a breeze.

p.s. For those who remember, I'm still working on that fence. It's been so damn hot here, among other things, the paint dries almost before I get it on the boards. What the hell the fence can wait until fall.

BensonWdby
07-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Hopefully you got Stargazer.
1. Make sure you have someone familiar with boat wiring handy. Since every boat seems to have slight variations in wiring the PP wiring instructions are somewhat generic.
2. The most dificult part for us was routing the cable from the motor to the dash. We just did a 99 Mobius (outback). We ended up going into the compartment under the driver side bow seat, disconnecting the vent tube which sits over a hole into the bilge and pushing a snake to the engine compartment. Very cramped quarters. Also - for ease of access had to remove the driver side bulkhead ('firewall' under the dash) to make access to that even easier.
3. Do the RPM calibration. The instructions are a bit confusing and the navigation on the display is not exactly intuitive. You will find yourself wanting to use the Up and Down arrows where you should actually be using the 'Menu' button.
Good luck.

rsinger
07-13-2012, 09:30 AM
Hopefully you got Stargazer.
1. Make sure you have someone familiar with boat wiring handy. Since every boat seems to have slight variations in wiring the PP wiring instructions are somewhat generic.
2. The most dificult part for us was routing the cable from the motor to the dash. We just did a 99 Mobius (outback). We ended up going into the compartment under the driver side bow seat, disconnecting the vent tube which sits over a hole into the bilge and pushing a snake to the engine compartment. Very cramped quarters. Also - for ease of access had to remove the driver side bulkhead ('firewall' under the dash) to make access to that even easier.
3. Do the RPM calibration. The instructions are a bit confusing and the navigation on the display is not exactly intuitive. You will find yourself wanting to use the Up and Down arrows where you should actually be using the 'Menu' button.
Good luck.

1. Already did a bunch of wiring with the speedos last year. They stopped working. I should be able to get the cluster apart in no time now that I know how it's screwed together.
2. As a result of item 1 I ended up replacing the pickup in the hull and had to re'fish a line. Ran a pull string along with the line, just in case.
3. Didn't know about this one, thanks.

Biggest roadblock will be to find some time to do it.

wolfeman131
07-13-2012, 09:35 AM
What the hell the fence can wait until fall.

Just don't wait too long and cut in to your light hanging time!

New Guy
07-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Your going to love it, I finally got mine dialed in and I WON'T own a boat without it again.

snyderaaron
07-13-2012, 09:51 AM
You guys can't talk about this. Pp is on my wish list and my wife would kill me if she knew I was thinking bout it.

Salyers
07-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Perfect pass or Digital pro = Marriage Saver!

New Guy
07-13-2012, 10:47 AM
You guys can't talk about this. Pp is on my wish list and my wife would kill me if she knew I was thinking bout it.

More like you won't kill each other trying to get that perfect speed dialed. When all the operator has to do is point the boat straight it is awesome. I tell all my operators give me some throttle hear the beep, let go of the throttle and turn up the stereo. Bam instant great pull everytime!

rsinger
07-13-2012, 10:56 AM

No cut that out. I laughed so hard I almost choked. I thought I was in the clear when you jumped on the band wagon on the overpriced boat thread.

For the record, I think the lights are going to stay off this winter. I need to redesign the system so it's easier to put up and down. Basically I want to get them up and down without having to use a ladder.

bergermaister
07-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Push the throttle, wait til you hear the beep, PRESTO - the lights come on.

wolfeman131
07-16-2012, 08:15 AM
nice mod suggestion, Berg!

rdlangston13
07-16-2012, 11:44 AM
We hate moomba cruise and will be getting PP ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

bergermaister
07-16-2012, 11:45 AM
We hate moomba cruise and will be getting PP ASAP.

What's all this "we we we" stuff now???

rsinger
07-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Look what showed up at the wifes work today.

rca
07-16-2012, 04:36 PM

Who's the light hanger around here?

rsinger
07-16-2012, 04:37 PM
Look what showed up at the wifes work today.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb397/rsingerwpg/ppbox-1.jpg

Taking the boat out to the lake this Wednesday, along with a bunch of tools.......... and going to town.

rsinger
07-16-2012, 04:46 PM
Who's the light hanger around here?

No comment. :-x

rca
07-16-2012, 06:34 PM
No comment. :-x

I was just wondering, I'm new and not tuned into all the inside stuff, but have a similar affliction.

Ron

rsinger
07-16-2012, 07:20 PM
I was just wondering, I'm new and not tuned into all the inside stuff, but have a similar affliction.

Ron

One member of this board noticed I still had my christmas lights on the house, the middle of April, and commented on it. He's been hounding me ever since.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?17739-Putting-stuff-back-in-the-boat/page2

Just a little good natured ribbing that I'll probably end up taking to my grave.

rca
07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
Got it. I'll just let it lay and not comment on the 25,000 I had out last year. Woops, I just did. Some of us are REALLY insane, lol.

Most were down by February though.

ian ashton
07-16-2012, 09:25 PM
Buying Stargazer was the absolute best aftermarket investment I've made - it was especially sweet since I got it so cheap from a member selling used!

On my '08 it was literally a 12 minute plug and play setup, and I honestly could not be happier.

Before PP Laura was too scared to pull me on the ski, with it she drives like a pro. That set speed take over is phenomenal. I can't say enough good.

rsinger
07-16-2012, 09:48 PM
Got it. I'll just let it lay and not comment on the 25,000 I had out last year. Woops, I just did. Some of us are REALLY insane, lol.

Most were down by February though.

Ok, that's a few more than me. Probably by a factor of 25. I only have 200 amp service to my house. I also should have used 12 gauge instead of 14. I keep blowing the breaker, after about 5 minutes, with all of them on. Time for some rewiring.

But in February, way up north, it starts at a low of -40 to a high of -15 or 20. So NO WAY am I taking them off the house that time of year. It just starts warming up around April.

rsinger
07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Buying Stargazer was the absolute best aftermarket investment I've made - it was especially sweet since I got it so cheap from a member selling used!

On my '08 it was literally a 12 minute plug and play setup, and I honestly could not be happier.

Before PP Laura was too scared to pull me on the ski, with it she drives like a pro. That set speed take over is phenomenal. I can't say enough good.

You beat me to it, but unfortunately it wouldn't work on my boat.