PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Issue

Chandosdave
07-12-2012, 12:52 PM
2005 Mobius XLV, Has anyone had the issue of transmission not engaging? The linkage appears to be functioning properly, fluids in the transmission and V drive are full and not discolored. There was no warning, transmission was not making noise, one minute fine, next minute engine revs nicely but no movement forward or back. The drive shaft is not moving. Any ideas?

squeeg333
07-12-2012, 02:11 PM
Is the transmission lockout button pressed? This is the little black button at the hinge point of the throttle. When pushed in, you can rev engine as desired, but the transmission is not engaged. When you bring the throttle to the vertical (neutral) position, this button is supposed to re-engage. Is there a chance that it is just not re-engaging?

Chandosdave
07-12-2012, 03:43 PM
My son at the cottage has assured me that the selector on the transmission is being moved freely forward and back by the throttle linkage, though that's the symptom exactly, lots of revs no movement.

bergermaister
07-12-2012, 06:46 PM
Drive coupler nuts/bolts fell out? Sounds stupid but worth a look.

Boonejeepin
07-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Have him closely check that the center push in neutral button is not depressed as mentioned above.

When depressed the throttle stick will move like it normally would.

Stazi
07-13-2012, 08:47 AM
Have him closely check that the center push in neutral button is not depressed as mentioned above.

When depressed the throttle stick will move like it normally would.
He mentioned that his son says the selector on the trans is moving so, I doubt it's the lock-out sticking.

Boonejeepin
07-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Referring to the center neutral push in button at the lower portion of the throttle stick. The throttle still moves forward but not back when the neutral button is depressed allowing you to rev the engine without going into gear.

mnpracing
07-13-2012, 10:43 AM
When you press the lockout button and rev it, the lever on the transmission housing doesn't move, correct? I'm reading the OP issue is that the lever on the transmission housing is moving, but it's not engaging the transmission. Am I understanding this all bass-ackwards. If I'm understanding it correctly, then it appears to be an issue inside the transmission, right?

Boonejeepin
07-13-2012, 11:00 AM
If the transmission selector lever on the transmission is moving without going into gear that is not good news.

The gear selector on the transmission would not move with the neutral lock out button on the throttle stick depressed.

DOCDRS
07-14-2012, 07:25 AM
Drive coupler nuts/bolts fell out? Sounds stupid but worth a look.

This is a good idea.....start simple before complex......you will find the coupler under the vdrive ...... maybe the OP will chime in again

Chandosdave
07-16-2012, 10:06 AM
The damper plate was the culprit. According to other forums it's a fairly common problem to the Indmar of our vintage
2005, especially the 23'. We have 560 hours on our XLV.

So thanks everyone for your ideas and advice.

KSmith
07-17-2012, 10:26 AM
That would seem to be a catastrophic failure, not a glitch. Was there any indication of failure outside the housing or was it all contained within the transmission? How long are you going to be out of commission? And last but certainly not least will the repairs be covered under warranty?

ga-lsv05
07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
That would seem to be a catastrophic failure, not a glitch. Was there any indication of failure outside the housing or was it all contained within the transmission? How long are you going to be out of commission? And last but certainly not least will the repairs be covered under warranty?

An 05 with 560 hrs under warranty??

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Chandosdave
07-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Warranty is long gone, but we're back on the water in less than a week. It could have been worse.