PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into a Skim Style board

spyder
07-10-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm interested in one of the Phase Five surfboards, but I don't know what size would be best for me. I currently ride a Inland Surfer Red Woody and I can't do any spins on it so I am looking at getting a skim style board. I am in the 200-210lbs range.

What size Phase Five would be best for me?

wolfeman131
07-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Oogle would be a good choice.

http://phase5boards.com/boards/oogle/

spyder
07-10-2012, 11:20 PM
found a good deal on a razz in Canada.. think that would ride well at my weight?

jmvotto
07-10-2012, 11:21 PM
Muehlcj, chime in here but the danilo pro Carbon xl is supposed o be nice.

http://phase5boards.com/boards/danielo-pro-carbon/#.T_zxLGt5mSM

brain_rinse
07-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I have ridden the both the Oogle and the Razz quite a bit, and I think either would work well for you. The Razz is a little more fast and loose, and gets its extra buoyancy from being 1" thick instead of 3/4". The Oogle gets its big boy float from the shape which gives up a little responsiveness, but is still 3/4" so it fits in wakeboard racks. I bought the Razz, my buddy bought the Oogle.

spyder
07-10-2012, 11:30 PM
got any videos on the razz?

brain_rinse
07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
got any videos on the razz?
Not much that's video worthy when I ride, sorry. :) I did fall on the rope after a failed 360 and it hooked on my jacket and pulled me under for awhile. That would have been cool to capture, but otherwise just a lot of slashing and screwing around.

spyder
07-11-2012, 11:10 AM
at the price point, I'm really interested in this Phase Five Razz i found.. i just hope I can ride it and it's not a waste of cash.

sandm
07-11-2012, 11:49 AM
fwiw, I have an '09 danielo pro, think it's 54. had a triple xxx sponsored rider take a spin on it a year ago. said it was a nice board and great at catching air, but he didn't like that it was pretty planted on the wake and tougher to spin than other boards..

my inlandsurfer 4skim is WAY looser than the daniello model and I find it to be much easier to wiggle around. I'm 5'11 and 200.

spyder
07-13-2012, 03:02 PM
anyone selling a used Inland Surfer or Phase Five skim board by chance?

ga-lsv05
07-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I ride a phase five carbon pro. Sweetest board I've ever ridden. Can't go wrong with phase

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

muehlcj
07-17-2012, 06:29 AM
FWIW - I ride a phase 5 Danielo Pro Carbon XL (58"x21.5", T=1", Wt Lmt-230lbs) and LOVE it. To preface that I ride behind a '06 outback with 1500lbs in the rear and 300ish up front and I weigh about 195. With that set up and board I can ride all day. The only board I can compare it to though is the HL Brdcst. It's super light and quick. I don't have any complaints in regard to the BC but the P5 blows it out of the water. At 1" thick it still fits in the factory racks although it's a little tight on the pad.

spyder
07-17-2012, 07:25 AM
I got a Triple X Composite Pro X 58" on the way, i got it for a good price off ebay with a "make an offer". So, hopefully I like that board.. I really wanted a Phase 5, but i was looking at almost twice the price.

muehlcj
07-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Spyder - Let me know how the 3X performs. I've been casually bidding on them on e-bay (no luck so far). Thinking about picking one up for comparison.

spyder
07-17-2012, 11:35 AM
as soon as i get to rip some surf on it. I will! only thing i am nervous about is i think it's only 3/4" thick.

i think it's shipping from Florida today

muehlcj
07-17-2012, 02:54 PM
You will be fine with 3/4". If I had it to do over I would go with the P5 DD Size=L (54"x20.5x3/4). The only board I had to compare was the HL Broadcast 4'-9" I'm not sure on the thickness but it's def less then my 1" P5. Perhaps someone can chime in on the HL stats. When I purchased the P5 I still wasn't able to free ride with the HL so I just assumed I needed bigger/faster. Well now I can free surf all day with either one.

On a side note when I received the board from Boardco it was missing the base graphic and the top logo was the diamond not the DD pro. It is however the DD pro XL correct size/shape. When I called they were very helpful and indicated they had received a number of these "blems" and discounted it 15%. That put the board in the low $500 dollar range. Not sure if they still have any but it might be worth a call (888 669-7547). P5 also lists the blems on their on-line retail site at discounted prices. Just a thought.

spyder
07-17-2012, 02:56 PM
On a side note when I received the board from Boardco it was missing the base graphic and the top logo was the diamond not the DD pro. It is however the DD pro XL correct size/shape. When I called they were very helpful and indicated they had received a number of these "blems" and discounted it 15%. That put the board in the low $500 dollar range. Not sure if they still have any but it might be worth a call (888 669-7547). P5 also lists the blems on their on-line retail site at discounted prices. Just a thought.

i probably would of demanded more than 15% off if they didn't like it, let them pay to ship it back.. it was not at advertised... unless it actually said blem in the listing

muehlcj
07-17-2012, 03:28 PM
It was not listed as a 'blem". It was their listing for the the actual board. The more I think about it the more I think you might be right. It is however more than P5 discounts their "blem" boards on their online retail set. It is however significantly different (cosmetically) then the advertised product.

spyder
07-17-2012, 03:38 PM
It was not listed as a 'blem". It was their listing for the the actual board. The more I think about it the more I think you might be right. It is however more than P5 discounts their "blem" boards on their online retail set. It is however significantly different (cosmetically) then the advertised product.

either way, you got a deal.. so i guess no fretting over it.. i really wanted a Phase 5, was looking at the Razz... but I can't justify almost paying double what I can get a Triple X board for.

muehlcj
07-17-2012, 04:38 PM
True. I figure it's enough to get me a board bag w/o the boss/wife putting in her .02.

If I decide to go to the smaller P5 (size=L) I'll let you know. If I'm ever fortunate enough to upgrade boats I def. will. I'm sure I could get into the 3X price range for a used '12 DD Pro Carbon "blem" if you are interested.