PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on wakeboard

jmvotto
07-09-2012, 11:12 AM
I am currently riding on the ronix vault 144 . i seem to bury the front end alot while pulling out toeside. it is a non symetrical board

Iam still in the beginning stages of riding and need to stand straight at the wake to get better at w2w

I was looking at a obrien decade ,which i rode with russ wilde and it seemed to ride higher in the water
and i am on a friends 144 decade in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewlm-ah1kY&list=UUKfIqSdCo7IbYdVk96bNYrQ&index=4&feature=plcp

I ridearound 19 to 21 mph depending on chop and weigh in at 215lb

Is the vault fine and i just nee to get better technique.

Always want to blame the arrow not the Indian... LOL

any thoughts, pointers would be great. i would like to make a decsion soon to order a new baord for vacation next week if needed

Stazi
07-09-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm a big guy like you 6'2" 200lb and I got a 2009 Obrien Vice (Josh Sander Pro Model) 141. It's a wider board which makes it feel like it's longer and has a progressive rocker. It has great pop and I think you would like it. If you can get your hands on a NOS model for cheap I bet you'd do well with it.
The 143cm Valhala or the Decade are great boards too.

jmvotto
07-09-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm a big guy like you 6'2" 200lb and I got a 2009 Obrien Vice (Josh Sander Pro Model) 141. It's a wider board which makes it feel like it's longer and has a progressive rocker. It has great pop and I think you would like it. If you can get your hands on a NOS model for cheap I bet you'd do well with it.
The 143cm Valhala or the Decade are great boards too.

Thanks i will look around what is NOS I am acroymn dumb

KSmith
07-09-2012, 12:19 PM
I sure hope it is you, I just ordered a ronix vault 144 yesterday... dagnabbit... Should I try and cancel the order?

jmvotto
07-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Most likely me. did you see the video....
i have ridden it since 2008 , the newer ones have evolved . i just wonder if i have it backwards the TS edge vs the HS edge.

KSmith
07-09-2012, 01:05 PM
Hmm ok.

Toeside the fins should be longer and extend closer to the nose/tail. Heelside shoud be shorter fins and be set back a bit further from the nose/tail. The Hyperlite State and Forefront also have the toeside specific fins/edges. I was torn between the 145 Hyperlite State and this Ronix 144 Vault.

I have a 2009 Hyperlite State Blem I bought for 75 bucks, but it is 8 inch binding pattern so I can only ride it with my huge old school CWB Faction open toe Frankenstien bindings.... which means it doesn't really get used except for a spare/visitor board.

jmvotto
07-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Hmm ok.

Toeside the fins should be longer and extend closer to the nose/tail. Heelside shoud be shorter fins and be set back a bit further from the nose/tail. The Hyperlite State and Forefront also have the toeside specific fins/edges.

Thank you, I was looking for this info on the web.. I kept reading about the edge angle ???? I should also check my binding settings on how far up they are toward the nose tail.

tnbrooks01
07-09-2012, 05:26 PM
I am currently riding on the ronix vault 144 . i seem to bury the front end alot while pulling out toeside. it is a non symetrical board

Iam still in the beginning stages of riding and need to stand straight at the wake to get better at w2w

I was looking at a obrien decade ,which i rode with russ wilde and it seemed to ride higher in the water
and i am on a friends 144 decade in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iewlm-ah1kY&list=UUKfIqSdCo7IbYdVk96bNYrQ&index=4&feature=plcp

I ridearound 19 to 21 mph depending on chop and weigh in at 215lb

Is the vault fine and i just nee to get better technique.

Always want to blame the arrow not the Indian... LOL

any thoughts, pointers would be great. i would like to make a decsion soon to order a new baord for vacation next week if needed

I would not change the board. Your form while edging out looks pretty good. Looks to me like where you may be having trouble is the transition from edging out then edging in for a heelside jump.

Again the edge out looks pretty good but when you get to the width you want you need to coast a little more in a more seated position prior to edging back in. In the video you make a very abrupt turn in and you are in a tall position at that point which looks like its pulling you over on the front of the board.

So take a wider edge out, coast and get into a seated position, progressively build heel edge on way back in and stand tall at the wake.

Great job though! I don't get the opportunity to ride much at all as I am always the driver.

maxpower220
07-09-2012, 05:31 PM
I watched your video, your form looks pretty normal to me. The board you are on looks a little to small for you, but that could just be a video issue or a set up issue. Try to keep the handle closer to your waist while riding. When you went switch, you were working those arms like crazy. Unfortunately, what I like in a board and what you like in a board may be very different.
I purchased a Josh Sanders board a few years ago because of the wider shape. Got a steal on ebay and bought it. I rode it twice and did not like it either time. It justs has no rail on it for me. However, my wife loved it and now it is her board.
I know that I like 3 stage rockers, hard rails and stiff boards. If you know what features you like on a board, it will help the selection process.

tnbrooks01
07-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Most likely me. did you see the video....
i have ridden it since 2008 , the newer ones have evolved . i just wonder if i have it backwards the TS edge vs the HS edge.

I don't think you cant have it backwards. Whether regular or goofy the toe side fins on front foot are larger and the heel edge of back foot are larger. Its such a small amount of change you probably can't tell the difference.

KSmith
07-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Actually on these toe side/heel side specific boards there is quite a difference in the fins, edge and channels. You can see the difference and read about it here.

http://www.evo.com/wakeboards/ronix-vault-wakeboard.aspx#image=52664.Size.LengthCM_128_Image .jpg

Stazi
07-10-2012, 02:56 PM
NOS = New Old Stock.

i.e. a new item that is an older model, etc.

jmvotto
07-10-2012, 03:11 PM
NOS got it. the vice has not been made in a few years 09 may have been the last year.

Stazi
07-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Maybe...I bought mine at an end of season sale. I bought the board and Hyperlite Audio bindings for $200. I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough. I went back 30 minutes later and got my buddy a 143 Valhala with Hyperlite Byerly bindings for $200 too.

jmvotto
07-10-2012, 04:01 PM
nice deals, I did the same with my ronix vault on the boarders mall daily deal

muehlcj
07-16-2012, 09:50 PM
What size bindings do you wear?
I have the following boards/bindings you are welcome to test in any combination of boards/bindings that may work...or even use your own bindings:
-2011 hyperlite premier 141 with '11 systems bindings and size 10 JD Webb boots or '09 HL Atlas size L
-2010 CWB pure 141 w/torq bindings size L/XL

Not sure if either will help but I thought I would offer.

jmvotto
07-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Thanks. Chris,

We may just have to setup a demo wake and surf day at the lake to try different gear.

muehlcj
07-17-2012, 06:34 AM
Sounds good. Also have that P5 DD. You should def. give that a go. Awesome board!

jmvotto
07-18-2012, 10:18 PM
Ok the 2007 vault is different than the 2012. The fins are identical and the sidewalls are shaped different for ts vs hs

Should I adjust my boots to ride slightly off center to the heel side?

2007 Ronix Vault 144
Redefining the versatility of board shapes for toe/heelside demands. A ride that takes into consideration that your body is working against the boat on your toeside, yet rides higher with a quick release on your heelside.
Toeside rail is thinned out to sit deeper along with a wider/full profile riding higher up the wake with more bite
Heelside rail has a more vertical sidewall, with more sidecut and a quicker release with less resistance on the water
9.5-degree rocker more angle designed for small wakes or riders that just want the extra straight up hangtime
2.5 staged rocker
Artwork - UV clear top/metal flake material
2 Alloy Vault fins and 4 molded fins
A Mike Ferraro design with the everyday rider in mind

jmvotto
07-21-2012, 12:25 AM
Pics finally uploaded of the board. Think I have it backwards

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/a64ab4b5.jpg

Fins seem equal
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh254/jmvotto/6442f61e.jpg