PDA

View Full Version : Blew Another tire, trailer vibration?

Mikey
07-08-2012, 07:22 PM
As i posted at the end of last season, i ended with a Bang, Blowing a tire ,which threw a tread and mangeled a fender etc. Luckily no boat damage.
Today while heading to the lake i Blew out the brand new tire that replaced the last one. Tire was properly inflated,not excessive speed, boat not overloaded..... My question is? Recently i've noticed that while towing i have/had quite excessive wagging of the boat guides,particularily on the said side of the boat. Recently while fixing other stuff i tightened the guide ,bolts underneith and took most of the wiggle outta both guides.

Today while pulling i notice there is still a little wiggle particllarilly on the side of question. Axle and hub all seem normal?,tires while rolling don't seem to have excessive camber/toe in/toe out. I had somone follow and watch for a while on the way back. wondering if there is something really wrong that i am missing.

Is it just S#$% luck with these tires etc or what. Also since i had a spare that is old and worn ... was to be replaced soon i didn't want to chance going further,and on a sunday nearly Nothing is open . I found an RV place near where i had a blowout who actually sold me a Noname brand tire,but sadly no one was around to be able to install it on the rim. Wasn't going to chance another blowout so called it a day and headed home, Sadly this is/ was one of our nicest days this S#$%y short summer so far... Any suggestions what may be wrong and what i need to look for.? Trailer is a boatmate Single axle, torsion axle type. I've sent an email to them as well and hopefully someone has some insight... Maybe just another S#$% China made tire?????

jpetty3023
07-08-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm gonna go with crappy luck brotha. Keeping my fingers crossed that you can get on the water soon thou

bkearney
07-09-2012, 06:37 AM
I blew a tire this weekend as well. it was older (circa 2002) so i assume it was dry rot.. However, I did notice alot of shimmying of the trailer right before it blew.

viking
07-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Mikey, You didn't toast another fender did you?
That would suck ass...............

dusty2221
07-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Front right (starboard)?

KCMobius
07-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Do you balance your tires? I know I had a blowout last year and found that I had lost my wheel weights. There was a lot of vibration on that side before the blowout. Also, even though you bought a "new" tire, I also check the date stamp because some tire shops sell old tires. I just pulled mine for 8 hours in 105 deg. and no issues. There was little to no vibration with my new tires that are balanced. Just some thought from my experiences.

Mikey
07-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Apparently none of my tires are balanced. I went to a tire shop today to get a tire mounted and we quickly realized it was never balanced. Checked my others and they are the same.I had a fairly significant vibration going,noticeable in the boat guide on the trailer just before,tire blew. Seem s my rim has a heavy spot ,which might make it kinda bounce as well. Its balanced now but gonna do some more balancing and replacing and do some tire shuffling. hopefully problem has been somewhat diagnosed and or possibly cured. Tire guy said this is very common on trailers and should make quite a significant improvement to wear and or towability.???? Hopefully....

Viking , minor damage ,more of a burn spot that paint kinda blew off likely when fender dropped down ont tire?. Kinda fixed, gonna just touch up with a spray bomb,for now,will deal with it later.

Mikey
07-10-2012, 11:03 PM
All my tires are fresh,and balanced although different brands,ready to go. Took boat and trailer out for a quick short 15 minute drive down the highway etc and trailer seems smooth now . Guide poles not moving around(was one of my indicator of vibration). hopefully all good to go . Hopefully all bugs worked out and ready to go..... Now comeon Saturday. Weather is even cooperating?????Who'da thunk it...

tnbrooks01
07-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Quick pic of my afternoon on the way to lake yesterday. http://img.tapatalk.com/a6937ba1-7540-6114.jpg

It's been a rough summer so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dusty2221
07-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Woah...didn't you just get the boat back?

tnbrooks01
07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
Yep, picked it up on Friday. The joys of having toys!

Mikey
07-15-2012, 07:24 PM
Looks like my fender,a little folded and mine is minus a patch of paint. Gonna just prime it and deal with it later.

Finally got boat out for a true test,yesterday and ....Crossing fingers.... All went well and finally got a full day of boating in.with God Forbid Everything finally working the way it should and boat is running well....Finally!!!!!!

jmb
07-15-2012, 09:56 PM
I just towed mine 600 miles round trip and had no problems. Tires are 7 years old. I don't know what to tell ya. They wore great. Don't think, for a minute, I wasn't nervous though.

wolfeman131
07-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Dang, Todd!

Did you run over something or just have a blowout?

tnbrooks01
07-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Just a blowout going down the highway. However, I think I might have damaged the tire at the boat ramp on last trip. With lake levels so low the trailer fell off in a hole caused by the "powerloaders" at the end of the concrete ramp. Had to accelerate a lot more than normal to get tire out of that hole and up the ramp.

ga-lsv05
07-23-2012, 04:38 PM
LOL I've watched these "powerloaders" is there an advantage to not backing the trailer in further? My boat slides up to about a foot from the roller then I just winch it. Why hammer down on to the trailer?

2005 mobius lsv 2900lbs ballast

parrothd
07-23-2012, 05:09 PM
LOL I've watched these "powerloaders" is there an advantage to not backing the trailer in further? My boat slides up to about a foot from the roller then I just winch it. Why hammer down on to the trailer?

Depends on the angle of the ramp.. :p I always power load, just easier, my ramps I'm either too deep and can't get the nose over the roller or too shallow and have to crank, then back up, then crank again. You don't need WOT, just enough to get it on...

I tow my boats a lot without issues, are you sure you're running the correct pressure?

viking
07-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Depends on the angle of the ramp.. :p I always power load, just easier, my ramps I'm either too deep and can't get the nose over the roller or too shallow and have to crank, then back up, then crank again. You don't need WOT, just enough to get it on...

Agreed! I don't necessarily want my rear door on the yukon under the water line. Seems the tow rig has to be pretty far in the way it is so a little throttle just to snug it up on the roller is butter!! I load/unload in 1/4 of the time of most. While the "family" is trying to float it on or off and hang on to it with a rope so the rest of the Klampits can get back to the dock, I'm long gone. In or out, I reach over the bow and run the winch. Every now and then will need to hop out but not often :)

parrothd
07-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Agreed! I don't necessarily want my rear door on the yukon under the water line. Seems the tow rig has to be pretty far in the way it is so a little throttle just to snug it up on the roller is butter!! I load/unload in 1/4 of the time of most. While the "family" is trying to float it on or off and hang on to it with a rope so the rest of the Klampits can get back to the dock, I'm long gone. In or out, I reach over the bow and run the winch. Every now and then will need to hop out but not often :)

Yep, In and out in under 2 minutes... :)

ga-lsv05
07-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Hmm the ramp I normally use puts the back tires of my truck touching the water with the fenders on the trailer fully submerged

tnbrooks01
07-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I tow my boats a lot without issues, are you sure you're running the correct pressure?

Assuming the question is directed to me? Yes tire pressure was good. I knew when I damaged the tire at the ramp. Assuming it split the steel belt and caused a bubble in the tread. Unfortunate no spare at the time and tried to get to tire shop next day but didn't make it and the 106 temps I'm sure didn't help.

As for power loading, I float my boat on and off the trailer. I'm done and gone in 1-2 min and cause no erosion around the ramp.

IMO power loading is just as useless as power turns.

parrothd
07-24-2012, 04:25 PM
power loading doesn't mean wide open throttle..Lol....There's a difference.. :)

ga-lsv05
07-24-2012, 04:27 PM
power loading doesn't mean wide open throttle..Lol....There's a difference.. :)

Like the fishermen trimmed up and blasting it lol

tnbrooks01
07-25-2012, 10:56 AM
Like the fishermen trimmed up and blasting it lol

Yes. My experience is the bass boats are the worst. I just don't get it.

jpetty3023
07-25-2012, 11:01 AM
I don't think the fisherman like getting wet. It seems like they power load to avoid getting the footsies soaked

Sent from my home phone..

Mikey
07-25-2012, 11:16 PM
I had my issues with tires and fenders. Now i have 3 balanced new tires . Trailer rides along nice and smooth and so far 2 trips out and no problems. Tires are at proper pressure and after a couple checks(paranoia) they run cool to the touch.

Fingers crossed ,problems solved and headed on holidays this weekend. 6 hr drive one way so hoping for the best.I think i,ve had my share of bad luck this season????/

viking
07-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Got me thinking...........tires on my trailer are a year old and say 65psi under full load. I run them about 50psi. What is normal good pressure on my tires?

by the way - taking an 800mile trip soon so inquiring minds wanna know :)

ga-lsv05
07-26-2012, 07:28 AM
I run 8 or 10 ply on my trailer can't remember which but max psi is 80 I run them at 65