PDA

View Full Version : 2004 mobius lsv losing lots trans fluid !!!!!!!!! only 130 total hrs

parkplace
07-08-2012, 04:15 PM
So just bought this march love it. but after 25 hrs were losing tons of trans fluid but cant find the leak. I've added over two quarts so far always pull the stick before we head out .But this didn't develop till around 15 hrs. Runs perfect, shifts great lots less noise than our old I/O VOLVO BANG every time! And the light by the throttle never comes on over 1200 rpm like the tag says but does stay on in neutral. I know how cool it is when people post pics so will do the same my wife will help me.

Hoopskier
07-08-2012, 04:44 PM
If you have examined the engine area completely, I would start looking at the transmission cooler. You should be able to follow the 2 hoses from the transmission to the cooler. The cooler is on or near the front of the engine. It is the same diameter as the fresh water pickup. It should look similar to this but painted black. http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R147014

If the cooler were leaking internally, you will never see it until taken apart or tested. Trans fluid is pump from the transmission to the cooler and then back. The transfluid cooler is cooled by the fresh water flowing throw it. The water then goes into the engine, cools it, and then out with the exhaust. If the cooler is leaking internally, the trans fluid is going into the engine, and then out with the exhaust into the lake. I believe the transmission fluid pressure is higher then the fresh water for engine cooling, so water back tracking into the transmission/transmission fluid should not be a significant issue. Water in transmission fluid would turn it milky pink.

NCSUmoomba
07-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Just a reminder, the v-drive boats have a transmission AND a V-drive, and both need fluid. I belive the indicator light might be for the v-drive, not for the transmission.

Also, I read something on wakeworld about the v-drive pan gaskets failing on some units, but I am not sure which ones they were.

myster
07-10-2012, 07:19 AM
Don't know if this is your problem but I had a similar issue on my 08 xlv........If you look on the Transmission there are two bolts facing you up high but below the vent ( vent is on the top side ) On mine the left bolt was very loose and I was losing tranny fluid there 'til I tightened it up, quite a bit for a while ie. bilge water was slimy!! Hope this helps!!

KSmith
07-10-2012, 08:17 AM
So just bought this march love it. but after 25 hrs were losing tons of trans fluid but cant find the leak. I've added over two quarts so far always pull the stick before we head out .But this didn't develop till around 15 hrs. Runs perfect, shifts great lots less noise than our old I/O VOLVO BANG every time! And the light by the throttle never comes on over 1200 rpm like the tag says but does stay on in neutral. I know how cool it is when people post pics so will do the same my wife will help me.

Yeah my Dad's old I/O and my own old I/O had the dog clutch too, I love not having to deal with that POS anymore :-)

So to clarify your post, are you seeing transmission fluid in your bilge or is it just disappearing? I suspect disappearing and then as Matt said the transmission fluid cooler. Also as noted by Brian the light is for the V Drive and not the transmission.

parkplace
07-10-2012, 01:08 PM
Hey thanks for taking the time to respond. Last night I got around the engine to look at the cooler and noticed the alternator & wiring, motor mount were covered in trans fluid, and we were seeing oil in bilge earlier. Cooler was clean but each hose was covered with oil so I took them off to test them with shop air, we farm so we usually have some of the 1/2 hyd fitting stuff around. Turns out they never need testing the top hose that was connected at the cooler end had a small crack inside just below the threads. My fix have my Implement dealer make me two new lines. But kinda think I should price a new alternator due to how much oil is on it. I'am in MN and Fall field work comes before hitting the water even if it hits 90 degrees in September early October so preventive maintenance is cheap. Give me a quick lesson on photo sharing any body?

KSmith
07-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Great news, a simple inexpensive fix, unless you have ot replace the alternator. I'm not sure the oil will hurt the alternator, water can give it problems over time. But even if it needs to be replaced it isn't a back breaker.

Pictures, when you are typing your message there is a toolbar about the text entry pane, one button looks like a pictures sort of, hover the mouse over it and it will say Image, click that, then from the From Computer tab you can browse and select images from your computer. The url tab allows you to enter urls for images if you have them loaded on the web somewhere.