PDA

View Full Version : Vapor Lock Cure Works

Waynes345
07-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Had our week of vacation during the record setting heat wave here in NW Illinois. Great to have a boat and lake to cool off in. Boat has been running great pulling skiers, boarders and surfers. Finished an early evening wakeboard set with a couple kids, pulled over to fill up for surfing. Backed out and turned it off for my surfer and then nothing. On top of it, the ignition breaker popped. I dragged it back to the dock and emptied the ballast. Got to thinking about what I had read on this forum about vapor lock, soaked a towel in the lake and wrapped the top end. 15 minutes later, back in business. Thanks for all the great information out here.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-07-2012, 04:14 PM
I have somehow managed to never have this happen but good to know it works as advertised. With 100 degree weather warming my water up to 90 plus, I have no idea how I haven't had it happen at least once.

rdlangston13
07-07-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm right there with you bull dog, boated all last year in water over 90 and air over 100 and never had a single vapor lock occurrence

Sent from my iPhone newtys droid killer using Tapatalk

wolfeman131
07-07-2012, 11:44 PM
You two realize that you have, most likely, just jinxed yourselves?

jpetty3023
07-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Oh heavens I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say anything as to not jinx myself. Get to knocking on some wood fellas, and i don't mean the kind of wood Dusty's mom knocks on!

brenpire
07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
I experienced Vapour lock twice last week. Both times it happened about 15-30 min after a wakeboard session. Vapour lock seems to happen to me when heat builds up in the engine compartment. The boat started fine then a few seconds later the idle fell to about 500 and then the boat stalled. I freaked out the first time. Then remembered reading on the forum to pour cold water on the fuel pump & filter. I did both. I also poured cold water on the fuel rails and released some fuel pressure from the fuel pressure gage valve (looks like a tire valve on the Fuel rail). After that the boat started right up. Thank you Moomba Forum.

I'm thinking that I need to run the blower more often and for longer periods on hot days.

bzubke1
07-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Didn't skiers choice fix the problem for the 08 and up boats?

volfo
07-09-2012, 05:33 PM
I've experienced this problem twice, both before I knew what it was and both times I had to be towed back. Pouring cold water did no good once I had the problem. Both days it was around 100 degrees and both times the engine was off for about an hour. Once we stopped at a dockside restaurant for lunch, another time we were just floating and swimming, etc. I was told it was caused by heat building in teh engine compartment once the motor is off and thus not cooling any further to the point that the gas in fuel line actually turns to gas (vapor). Once that happens, the only thing I was able to do was wait. After about two days in both instances, the motor started right up and ran perfectly.

Now I'm paranoid and if it's a hot day, I run the blower when the motor is off, unless the motor box is open. If I am going to stay stopped for a long period of time, I will occasionally open the motor box to let the trapped air out and cooler air in. If I go to eat lunch, I just prop the clamshell box open. A few times I"ve even poured cool water over the fuel line and pump. Never any problems since.

I'm told the newer models have the fuel pump in the gas tank, which apparently fixes the issue. It's the only problem I've ever had with the boat, and it's not really a problem with the boat - all the older style boats apparently can get it.

I don't think I have a pressure bleed on my fuel line - where would it be for me to look? Also, I never tried wrapping a cold towel around the pump but if I ever have it again, I will try that for sure.

sandm
07-09-2012, 06:21 PM
I've found that running the blower nonstop on hot days when you are recreating, especially surfing eliminates the issue altogether. have not had it happen in over 2 years now following that..

and fwiw, the last time I did have it, a 16oz water over the fuel filter/pump cured the issue.

KG's Supra24
07-09-2012, 10:48 PM
I've seen similar results as sandm

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

schuylski
07-10-2012, 06:37 AM
Yah I'm not sure whether it was 08 or 09, but at some point they started putting the fuel filter in the tank and I think that helps big time...

moombahighrider
07-11-2012, 01:38 AM
Unless they did it on some 08s and not others, in my experience the change happened in 09. My 08 lsv does not have the pump in the tank. Vapor lock has been an issue from time to time and it's a pain in the butt, mostly because I think/ worry about the possibility of it.

ORboatpilot
07-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Isn't this an ethanol issue? I stopped using stupid ethanol and my vapor lock problems went away.

VA LSV
07-11-2012, 06:48 AM
Have had vapor lock twice in the 7 years with my LSV. Both times cold water on the fuel pump got me goining. Boat wouldn't start after sittng hot this weekend. Didn't hear the pump kick in when I turned the key so I'm pour water on the fuel pump but still not pumping. Went to releive pressure at the fuel rail schrader valve. No pressure and no gas. So then I check for power at the fuel pump and I have 0 volts. Pulled the fuses located at the ECM and all check good with a meter. Replace the fuses, turn the key and the pump works fine.

KSmith
07-11-2012, 07:04 AM
Didn't skiers choice fix the problem for the 08 and up boats?

In 2010 They went with the fuel pump in the gas tank. No vapor lock. Love it :-)

AlbertaBoy
07-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Isn't this an ethanol issue? I stopped using stupid ethanol and my vapor lock problems went away.

Thats what I heard as well, but I am not sure where to buy ethanol free gasoline.
I have not had my boat long enough to experience this problem, but the previous owner told me he had it and just leaves the cover up after hard pulling in heat.
I heard about the second pump solution ( something Skiers Choice started doing in 08 I understand) and mine has it, so not sure this is the solution.
This forum will likely save me from some frustration.:)

KG's Supra24
07-11-2012, 10:15 AM
I've had vapor lock with ethanol free gas.

For me, it really hasn't been a big deal as long as you are aware it could happen. I've had it happen probably 4 times and each time a cold bottle of water from the ice chest does the trick. It's just the instant oh sh*t the boat won't start moment thats no fun.