PDA

View Full Version : help on keeping the boat and garage smelling fresh!!

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-07-2012, 08:10 AM
this is the first year i've had any problems with this but air temp has been from 90-100 for the past two weeks and humidity is extremely high in ohio. when i get home from the lake i put the boat in the garage and hook up the fans to air out the boat lift out the seats to dry the carpet. i'm sure my boat isn't the only one that the carpet is pretty wet from all the life jackets and ropes and people dripping all day long. but this year is the first that my garage smells pretty rank. any ideas what i can do anything to throw on the carpet that will help freshen it up? i have the windows open all day and night and fans run 24 hours a day and the garage door is open when i'm home around the house. thanks guys

wolfeman131
07-07-2012, 08:17 AM
I try and use a shop vac to draw as much lake water out of the carpet prior to hitting it with the fans. I also use either OdorBan spray or a Febreeze spray that has a light scent and antibacterial.

If that doesn't work, slather your boat in original Polo cologne. Dusty claims the ladies love it.

mmandley
07-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey Gus, we deal with that in OR because we have high humidity, and its not uncommon to put the boat away on Wed and it still have damp spots come Sunday.

Most of the time it doesnt stink, when it does its a sign of mildew, look in the V drive area, this is the most common area i see mildew, on the hoses its whitish, also on the carpets on the edges by the engine it loves to mold up there as well.

What i do a couple times a year is 50% distilled white vinagar, and 50% water, spray the v drive down, and the carpets in teh V drive, under the seats. The boat and garage will smell pretty bad for a few hours as the vinagar burns off but when its done theres no mildew, no spiders, or any creatures for that matter LOL. Also you can then follow it up with Fabreeze to neutralize and rid any vinagar smells if there lingering.

WaterBullDawg1980
07-07-2012, 02:33 PM
I try and use a shop vac to draw as much lake water out of the carpet prior to hitting it with the fans. I also use either OdorBan spray or a Febreeze spray that has a light scent and antibacterial.

If that doesn't work, slather your boat in original Polo cologne. Dusty claims the ladies love it.

I prefer Drakar. If its good enough for Dale Jr. its good enough for my boat.

But for the OP I clean out my bilge area pretty religiously. Lots of foul smells come from there. I just put some soap down there and hose it out. I do this about once a week. My boat smells like a bed of roses.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

gus 08 mobius lsv
07-08-2012, 08:57 AM
oh my ski locker smells foul... i make the kids take a few big wiffs of it when they get in trouble for not listening!! that keeps em behaved. no mildew or bugs anywhere in the boat and when things dry out the boat smells fine other then the ski locker i did put a plug in there to keep the bilge water from getting in there but occasional i get some water that gets in there so every other week i shop vac that out and clean the bag good but i'll try some fabreeze on the carpet and see if that helps. we always have humidity here just never this hot and dry for this long. i will try the vinagar and water when i get home today...white vinagar?
i may try stetson...i hear thats a cougar attractant!!

wolfeman131
07-09-2012, 12:25 AM
i may try stetson...i hear thats a cougar attractant!!

You lookin to score a session with Dusty's Mom?