View Full Version : Blew a Hose last outing
07-06-2012, 08:57 PM
So after 2 days of good boating about 5 minutes after launch and up on plane water started to squirt everywhere from the motorbox. Opened it up and there was an 8in slit in the J-tube from water pump to thermo housing on the starboard side. It was weird because right before that I noticed the motor was running a bit cool and I would have thought it would be running hotter losing that much water???
At any rate, I need to order a new one (and possibly a spare??). checked Skidim.com and I think what I need is the part 31105? Tried to copy the link but site says it's copywrite protected? $39 bucks seems a bit high? Where else have you bought this part anybody?
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
viking - This is the part you need to replace. I have a receipt for it (from May 2010), but cannot tell if the price was $20 or $35. It was purchased from the parts department at the SC dealer in my area. - Deerfield
07-07-2012, 01:28 AM
I believe it's the $20 part listed there. Description on the Skidim site is "hose formed WP Therm HSG"
Hard to think it would be twice as much from skidim as a dealer? Go figure!! I'll check with a dealer too!!
07-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Here's some pics of the failed hose!
This is what I saw when I opened the engine cover:
After further inspection it was a matter of time as there were multiple points of inevitable failure.......
07-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Just go to your local parts house, they all kinds of shapes and sizes. Usually they''' let you paroose thier hose racks untill you find what you need.
07-08-2012, 11:02 PM
Had the same thing happen to my other boat ('72 Chris Craft w/ Ford 302 V8) on a recent outing -- warning sign was the same: running cold. Looked in the engine compartment and the split hose was pumping water into the boat at a fantastic rate. I think that hose is a weak spot -- 140 degree water all the time, under pressure, and possibly residual water in there in winter time.
I went out and bought a roll of Rescue Tape -- the electrical tape + rubber patch we used to limp back to the dock wasn't cutting it.
07-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Replaced my J-hose tonight and figured I'd do a quick spark plug swap while I was at it. Noticed the gap in old plugs was .050 (manual specs are .060 and that's what I set the new ones at).
While at it I noticed the locking nut on the front port motor mount had worked it's way down:
Looks like I'm going to need to check the alignment!! Guess I needed an excuse. Now I have to dig up that thread.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.3 Copyright © 2017 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.