PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question

wayne
07-06-2012, 11:29 AM
I have an 05 ls and am towing it with my f-150. I am looking at getting a new jeep wrangler will I have problems towing? I only tow about 12 miles to the lake but we go every weekend. Also about once a month we take a 60 mile trip to camp and boat. I am really looking foward to a new jeep but if it cant tow my boat it is a pointless vehical right?

Hoopskier
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
I am dont think you will be to happy with the Jeep vs your F150. Even the brand new wranglers are only rated to pull 2,000 lbs (2 door model) or 3,500 lbs (4 door model). Wranglers are great vehilces, lots of fun regardless whereever you drive them, and a huge aftermarket if you want to customize it to your taste, BUT they just are not tow vehicles for bigger boats, (which is mostly due to the short/small wheelbase).

KSmith
07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Keep the truck to tow the boat and Jeep for fun. As for towing the boat with the Jeep, you will not be happy and as noted by Matt probably over the two limit of the vehicle, in the case of the 2 door by almost double. Just wouldn't be wise. We bought a Jeep Wrangler Unlimitedabout a year ago, it is a fun ride, sucks for commutting and can't tow my boat, but we still enjoy it. We have the hardtop and it is fun to pop off the front panels and soak up some sun when out trail riding.

wayne
07-06-2012, 12:51 PM
yea I dont know what to do I cant afford both truck and jeep and the boat so I have to find out which one to do

KSmith
07-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Ah tough call. How about a used Jeep? Where do you live? Come on over and I'll take you to a used Jeep Mecca, tons of inventory, something for everyone :-)

zabooda
07-06-2012, 05:33 PM
As a Wrangler owner the answer is no. As others have said, the towing capacity is limited but the wheelbase is short so highway maneuvering is also limited. The stock hitch mounting is only a foot wide and bolts to a cross member bar. Great for moving things around at the home. Also, you would need a good size drop hitch.

scottman
07-06-2012, 05:39 PM
Well, just to give you another opinion. I've been towing my Outback V with my JKU for about 3 years without issue. Mostly back and forth from storage but a couple of times a year I tow it 100+ miles. Not a big deal, my Outback is right at the limit for the 4dr, and the newer models have more horsepower and a better tranny too. Jeep engineers cited the limiting factor on tow rating was adequate cooling. I added an aftermarket transmission cooler and stiffer coil springs in the rear. Works great for us.

Every situation is different, but I towed this boat with a Nissan Frontier and Nissan Pathfinder, the JK is at least as stable as those two platforms with the boat behind it.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c33.0.403.403/p403x403/577527_10151830267430717_557169091_n.jpg

cpatten
07-06-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a brand new 2012 JKU, I wouldn't even think of towing my LSV with it. I will stick with a V8:D