PDA

View Full Version : Any Water in the Austin Area?

sybrmike
07-04-2012, 02:21 PM
May be visiting some in-laws up in Pflugerville next weekend & wife wants to haul the boat up to take the nephews out. I was up at Sommerville 2 weeks ago & it was at pool level, but haven't heard anything about the hill country lakes. Have any of the lakes around Austin recovered enough from last year's drought for boating? Thanks.

rca
07-04-2012, 02:41 PM
I was in Lake Austin last week and it was great as usual, but I think it only gets low when they do the drawdown. Travis is still low, at like 46%.

You can check http://wiid.twdb.state.tx.us/ims/resinfo/BushButton/lakeStatus.asp

LBJ is always a safe bet too.

skylar18
07-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Mansfield Dam boat ramp is open to launch on lake Travis. With the water so low, so few people are going out that this has been a pretty good season. Of course if you go on a weekend and want to board, need to be done by 11 or still gets too rough.

sybrmike
07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys. Not sure I want to take my unproven rebuild to an unfamiliar lake in drought conditions with limited shore support... Probably just fight the crowds on Lake Austin or I think my bro-in-law knows Georgetown pretty well. Thanks again

rdlangston13
07-05-2012, 07:15 PM
what you should do is take it out on lake conroe tomorrow night and catch the on the water kevin fowler concert at county line bbq!

jpetty3023
07-05-2012, 07:36 PM
OH Lake Conroe. What a gorgeous lake. You get out their much David?

Sent from my home phone..

rdlangston13
07-05-2012, 07:53 PM
OH Lake Conroe. What a gorgeous lake. You get out their much David?

this will be my first time on lake conroe since ummmm 2010 i think when my dad rented a condo there for a week and we rented an awesome 18ft searay...

jpetty3023
07-05-2012, 07:57 PM
My family did same thing about 4 years ago minus the boat rental. Beautiful lake and houses. Wouldn't mind a trip that way sometime with my LSV. Would love to retire an move that way but something tells me I won't be able to afford a house that has 5 A/C units

rca
07-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I was just on Conroe last week. It is still several feet low and quite shallow in some areas. Gets really rough pretty early in the day too since so much of it has bulkheads. It's really nice early though.

rdlangston13
07-05-2012, 08:23 PM
I was just on Conroe last week. It is still several feet low and quite shallow in some areas. Gets really rough pretty early in the day too since so much of it has bulkheads. It's really nice early though.

thats the thing with conroe, its ride at dawn or dont ride at all. guess thats why they refer to it as the gulf of conroe.

RCA, you coming to our jam in August???

sybrmike
07-05-2012, 10:27 PM
It's probably been 15 years since I've been on Conroe during the weekend. Used to have a regular crew that snuck out a little early on Wednesdays & skied till dark. Too many bulkheads, triple engine Scarabs, & just too damn many people... The PoPo's are thick too with 3 different agencies patrolling - San Jac River Authority, TP&W, and Montgomery Co Sheriff. My buddy's bro got ticketed a few weeks ago for skiing closer than 100' to shore! It can be a nice lake, but it's sunrise or weekdays for me...

rdlangston13
07-05-2012, 10:30 PM
It's probably been 15 years since I've been on Conroe during the weekend. Used to have a regular crew that snuck out a little early on Wednesdays & skied till dark. Too many bulkheads, triple engine Scarabs, & just too damn many people... The PoPo's are thick too with 3 different agencies patrolling - San Jac River Authority, TP&W, and Montgomery Co Sheriff. My buddy's bro got ticketed a few weeks ago for skiing closer than 100' to shore! It can be a nice lake, but it's sunrise or weekdays for me...

where do you normally ride? Lake houston??

rca
07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Closer than 100' to shore? That's a new one to me.

sybrmike
07-06-2012, 05:16 PM
Never learned Lake Houston - found it shallow & muddy & never went back. Usually Sommerville, but anxious to get over to the Trinity/Bethy you speak so highly of (even if I drive right over Conroe/1097 to get there from my house).

Yeah, 100' was news to us all? His laywer said he'll get off for sure (no, they did not break out a measuring tape), but not sure if it was a SJRA rule or what? Could essentially shut down tow sports on Conroe - south of 1097 is pretty open, rough, & bulkheaded & gets stumpy 100' off shore most places north of 1097. Have to see how that one plays out...