PDA

View Full Version : who is running the course- what pass are you working on

skiyaker
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
If I'm not mistaken we have some great skiers on this forum (I'm not one of them)- what passes are you working on this summer? Myself I just got -15 30.4mph last weekend; probably keep it here and clean it up for the rest of the summer and maybe push up the speed some more in September.

who else skis the course and what are you guys working on?

BensonWdby
07-03-2012, 11:57 PM
Last season I was running 22 off @ 32. But I had never made my 15@34 pass. So I have decided to go back and get that. Made 5 a couple weeks ago. Making 15@32 my opener right now. I really wanted to get to 28@34 this year but doubtful.

maxpower220
07-04-2012, 08:28 AM
My PB is 15 off @30. I haven't been on a course this year. I am just working to get the boat on the water.

PatL
07-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm running 15 off @ 28.6 consistently with gates. Right now I can usually do back to back passes. I plan to increase speed to 30.4 in a couple weeks. I've debated shortening the rope but feel like I need to get 15 off pass to 34.2 before I do that.

zegm
07-10-2012, 02:37 PM
My son is running 15 off at 28, but last year he was up to 15 off at 30. Unfortunately we just got the boat in the water for the first time this year (don't ask but it cost me 1200 dollars!) so he hasn't had much practice. Got the wife through at 28 with full rope too!

Matt Glenn
07-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Nice to see others are turning some balls with there moombas. Im at 15 of at 32 and working up. Today I made 3 out of 4 sets all 6 and gates. I think I will be going up to 33 we will see. I have on and off Low Back problems for last 3 years, which is holding me back. So far this year with the help of the Goode powervest Im doing alot better.

Matt Glenn
07-10-2012, 09:27 PM
Nice to see some others turning some balls too. Just made 3 out of 4 pass today at 15 off 32mph . I think this weekend I will try 33. We will see back is on and off problem.

Mikey
07-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Got up to 4,5 ball at 15 off 32mph last year but sadly this year only been in the water twice and boat was not running well. Not looking too promising this year. maybe things will turn around.

deerfield
07-11-2012, 01:04 AM
...boat was not running well. Not looking too promising this year.

Mikey - Boat not running well? What seems to be the issue? - Deerfield

Wildbill
07-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Well, it's been 3 years since I've been on a ski, and beyond that it was once a year for probably 5 years. 20 years ago when I was good I could manage to clear the course at 28 off at 32-34mph. I was out today and Holy Crap! I'm in terrible shape and my form is absolutely brutal. Bad back or not, I'm going to ski a session or two every weekend and see if I can get back to a reasonable skill level as I had forgotten how much fun it was!!!!!

Here is a pic from today....what a 40 year old has-been looks like.....note the painful focus on my face....

usaski1
08-01-2012, 11:48 PM
Disabled since birth, this is all I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtvfqWRegfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLXiBJ2uY_8&feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWDykz7e6j8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X93I4tNx_4o

Yeah, I run the course three to four times a week in the summer and do some wakeboarding too.

Laz
08-02-2012, 08:54 AM
Mark, I love watching your videos. I've seen them all on BOS. Where do you get your equipment? Is it custom made?

You are right about the prop change.

P.S. My PB in the course is 1.5 @ 35' off, 34 mph.

Laz

BensonWdby
08-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Last season I was running 22 off @ 32. But I had never made my 15@34 pass. So I have decided to go back and get that. Made 5 a couple weeks ago. Making 15@32 my opener right now. I really wanted to get to 28@34 this year but doubtful.

Made my 15off@34 pass this weekend thanks to Doug Meeker at The Liquid Edge in Farmer City Illinois.
* 22 off@32 - probably the 5th time ever.
* 28 off@31 - for the first time ever - a full pass at 28off at any speed. I know 31 is an odd speed speed, but that small reductin was enough.

skiyaker
08-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Laz and Dave that's awesome- you guys are really progressing!

usaski1
08-09-2012, 12:48 PM
LAZ, this is the ski I'm on.

http://www.liquidaccess.org/Phoenix.html

usaski1
08-09-2012, 12:50 PM
LAZ, got any video of yourself running 34mph at 32 off? I've never really see any shortline behind the OB.

BensonWdby
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
Two years ago I got to work the rope for Andy Mapple as he ran 34mph from 28 off all the way up the rope to 41 off. That was behind a MC not a SC but still - quite an experience.

skiyaker
09-01-2012, 11:47 PM
It's September- time to speed it up. I have -15 31 in the bag. Knocking at the door of 32. I'd like to get 32 in the bag this year and push for 34 next year then shorten up. My ski partner made -22 34mph last night.

PatL
09-22-2012, 02:30 PM
So I've been making full passes 15 off @ 28.6mph pretty easily for most of the summer. I finally decided to increase my speed to 30.4mph today. Conditions werent the best as it was blowing about 10-12mph. Not sure if that was a contributor or not but man is it hard making that jump. My best passes were on sets 2 & 4 in which I was able to run 1,2,4,6. 3,5 seemed to be where I was really challenged but mostly bc I didnt have clean finishes off of 2,4. All in all a great day though and its cool to be climbing the mountain again. Hoping to make somewhat consistent full passes at 30.4mph before we hang it up in late October. Goal for next season is to move on up to 32mph...

deerfield
09-22-2012, 05:05 PM
Conditions werent the best as it was blowing about 10-12mph.

PatL - If at your back when making the pass, wind works against you when trying to decelerate for the turn. It can be a contributing factor to missing the ball. Just a guess on my part. But great job stepping up to 30 MPH. No doubt you will be making full passes in the near future. By the way, I took at a look at your location. Leonardtown is surrounded by the Chesapeake. You skiing there, at nearby Saint Mary's Lake, or some other location? - Deerfield

PatL
09-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Deerfield no not in the bay...way too rough most of the time for that. We have a ski course tucked back in a cove off the Potomac River. St. Mary's Lake would be a great place to ski but its basically electric or wind power only. Occasionally I make the run over west of Fredericksburg VA to Lake Anna. Thats some decent water if you go out during the week. Mostly the backwater off the Potomac though is where we ski.

deerfield
09-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Interesting. I think of the Potomac as brackish or seawater. How do you keep the engine and metal parts/components from corroding? Don't think I have the courage to put my boat in anything but fresh water.

Visited Lake Anna a month ago. Nice place. I drove there from Ashland to check out the drive time. I may be going to work for a different bank, making Ashland our new home, and looking for a place to boat. There is an authorized Moomba/Supra dealer on Lake Anna.

Amtrak has a train that runs to/from Ashland and Union Station in D.C. Travel time is about two hours. I'd work three days a week in D.C., staying overnight. The other two days I'd work from an office in Richmond, which is about thirty minutes south of Ashland.

Ashland has its own Starbucks. Costco and Whole Foods are in Glen Allen, which is about fifteen minutes by back roads from Ashland. Three key items for Mrs. D.

PatL
09-23-2012, 07:32 AM
Yes Potomac is brackish the farther south you go. As you head north towards the 301 bridge though its fresh water most of the time unless there hasnt been much rain. I always ensure I flush my boat for 10 minutes when I get home even when we've had good rain. I would recommend the dealer in Richmond VA if you are looking for someone reasonably local to your area (realize that's still a ride from Ashland). Nautical Marine has always treated me very well and turned my boat around quickly when I needed something. They arent the biggest dealer but they have a mechanic who specializes in inboards and in particular Indmar.

PatL
09-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Deerfield I thought of one other thing you might want to look into...looked at the map and you are pretty close to Lake Anna area if you end up settling in Ashland. There is a pro skier, Corey Humburg, who is from the area and runs a ski school from a private ski lake over near Lake Anna. I've been meaning to schedule a couple sets with him and just havent gotten around to it. They may have a ski club or something there but not sure.